Sunday, November 25, 2007

I hope you all had a blessed and restful Thanksgiving. I had the opportunity to make Jose's family a Thanksgiving meal this year and it was a lot of fun. I was telling Jose afterward that when I was younger, I was so intimidated at the thought of making an entire Thanksgiving meal all by myself. I was afraid I'd undercook the turkey, or that I'd have to rely on canned goods for every side dish... I thought it would be an exhausting, stressful, and unrewarding process... But, thankfully, this year I was able to discover it's actually quite the opposite. Sure, it took a little while, but it was fun. I think one of the tougher parts about it was that I had to cook for a group instead of just one or two people, so I was a little worried that I wouldn't season things right...but somehow it all worked out and there wasn't a complaint made about the food!

One thing I still really want to get the hang of is tamale-making, though. In my family, my grandmother usually makes tamales for Christmas/New Years and I'd really like to whip them up the way she does, effortlessly. I have a feeling I'd probably just end up with a kitchen disaster...but who knows, maybe it'll turn out the way the Thanksgiving meal did if I just give it a try? Hmm...probably not. Just last year I was helping her roll up the tamale dough in corn husks before she cooked them, and that was tough enough for me. It's a lot harder than it looks! Still, I have a strange feeling my attitude about the tamale-making process will change...just wait and see.

Moving on to this apple-oatmeal bar recipe; I have baked this over and over again. I made it for Jose's Thanksgiving office party, then I made it for my mom, then I made it for Jose's family as a Thanksgiving dessert...it's been a hit every time! I was bored one night and, as usual, had a sweet tooth for something not too heavy but still carby, so I made these apple-oatmeal bars. The initial recipe is completely fat free, but the next couple of times I made it, I decided that butter should be included in the topping. Sometimes butter does make it better, especially when used in moderation.

This is even easy to make because everything can pretty much be mixed up in one bowl, and I love that because that means there are less dishes to wash in the end!

Apple-Oatmeal Bars
2 Cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

1/4 cup apple juice

2/3 cups apple sauce

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 TBSP cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg

1 TBSP apple pie spice

These ingredients can all be mixed together in the same bowl, then put in a large baking dish (9X13"). Put in the oven for 10 minutes at 325 then add the following topping:

The topping (unhealthy version):
1 small fuji apple, cut into little cubes

1/2 tbsp vanilla extract

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 1/2 tbsp melted butter

1 2/3 cups oatmeal

You can mix all these ingredients together in a bowl, then add it to the top of the bread dough (10 minutes after it's been in the oven). I also lightly sprinkled the topping with cinnamon and sugar.

Fat-free healthier topping:
1 small fuji apple, cut into little cubes
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 2/3 cups oatmeal

1/3 cup vanilla soymilk
1/8 cup honey



Raise the temp of the oven to 350 and bake for about 50 more minutes to an hour.

Now it's time to start thinking about a Christmas dessert! I can't wait for my favorite holiday, we purchased and decorated our tree just today! I'm counting down :)...and so are my guineas, yoshi and mochi!








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow these bars look soooo good! I am definitely going to have to try them!

Unknown said...

These bars sound delicious!! I love having these kind of snacks since I am hypoglycemic.
The holiday pics are great as well!

teeth whitening

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie, I love your site. I baked these bars but they come out too hard and chewy. Is that the way they're suppose to be? I double check the quantities and oven time. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Sophie said...

Hi There,

Thanks for commenting :). I'm sorry they came out hard and chewy! I just asked my husband about this recipe and we both don't remember them tasting that way. Were they that way when they came out of the oven or over time? I would store them in an air-tight container to keep them moist. Also, I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with the oven setting or elevation? I might try taking them out a bit sooner if they were dry (do the toothpick test to see if it comes out clean--then they're done), and also making sure the baking rack is right in the middle of the oven. I hope that helps :).