Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cloudy with a Chance of...Molasses rolls?


Hi there , Folks!

I know, it's been ages! I'm a little nervous typing right now, because I feel like I actually have an audience! Believe me, this is definitely a good thing. I'm pleasantly surprised that you folks have subscribed. I'm not gonna list how many feedburner subscribers I have, because I'm sure some of you blogging pros will laugh at my excitement. Oddly, that's part of the reason why I don't blog as much these days, because I'm being watched :D!

I started this blog typing as if someone was reading, because isn't that how blogging works? At first, you tell yourself that the comments aren't there because imaginary blogging friends only have imaginary fingers, of course! Then, the adrenaline rush hits after the first couple of comments start rolling in; then you post a million times a day…and then?


Well, now you folks are saying things, and actually reading! Oh, the anxiety. I feel like you people are watching me now. I have a bit of stage fright, and I just use my 8 month old as my excuse for not posting ;). What if I forget to type in an ingredient when I input the recipe? What if the photos of my molasses rolls resemble meatballs instead of…molasses rolls. You all will kindly let me know, right? Right?!

In all honesty, I'm very thankful for you all! Thankful from the bottom of my carbohydrate-addicted heart! Thank you for giving me an excuse to bake gluten-free treats, especially now that my husband is on the paleo diet! Seriously, the guy is married to a woman with a blog called "Flour Arrangements" and he vowed to stop eating carbs in 2011! Meanwhile, my resolution is to post more on here! I guess opposites really do attract ;).

Enjoy these molasses rolls; I promise, despite the photos, they don't taste anything like meatballs! Actually, they don't taste much like molasses either, it's a very subtle molasses/spiced taste. Store them in an air-tight container, then warm 'em up in the micro for 15 seconds to enjoy them warm and soft after they've lost their "fresh outta the oven" texture.

Molasses Rolls (Makes 8)

Dry Mixture:
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
4 tablespoons low-fat dried milk powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp sea salt
Yeast Mixture:
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water (let rise until it just starts to foam on top--about 10 minutes)
Other wet mixture:
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses

Combine all dry ingredients together, mix well.

In another small bowl, combine the water and sugar, then add yeast. Let it sit for about 8 minutes, or until foam just begins to form on top (proofing starts).

Next, combine the wet ingredients in another small bowl.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry bowl. Then fold in the yeast mixture.

Let rise in a warm, dark area for about an hour.

Shape dough into individual rolls, about 8. Bake in a pre-greased cake or pie pan.

Preheat oven to 350 and bake rolls for about 22-25 minutes.

Store in air-tight container for up to 3 days (don't require refrigeration).

13 comments:

Unknown said...

No fear for stage fright! Your stuff always sounds the most delightful.

These are no exception. These look like a wonderful breakfast treat!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Welcome back. No need to be scared, we won't bite (hard). ;)
Those rolls look really good, I can't believe your husband would give up carbs...what kind of person gives up carbs...just thinking about a light roll or muffin makes my mouth water. lol

Monica H said...

Glad to see you back. Cute title :-)

Anonymous said...

Waw!! These tasty gf molasses rolls look so delectbale, tasty & wonderfully too!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM,....!!!!!!

I just moved my blog to wordpress.com. Come over @ my blog & check me out! You must update your RSS!

Marysol said...

Sophie, yes, you're being watched—in a non-stalking sort of way, mind you.

And where thou gottest the time to blog-eth?
Seriously, I don't care how you managed; I'm just tickled to see you!

The Molasses Rolls are a welcome sight! And I feel for your beloved, having to resist their wafting aroma, without pouncing all over them.
Wish I were there to help make them disappear.

Unknown said...

Glad you're back! I found your blog fairly recently but I bake gluten free often (for a family member) and I was hoping you'd be back eventually :) Nice to see that my checking back has paid off!

grace said...

they DO look a bit like meatballs, but they're sooo much better. what a hearty and satisfying roll, sophie--well done!

Lisa said...

What an interesting recipe for rolls. I think I'd enjoy that deep flavor from the molasses.

Leslie said...

Stage fright? Your funny. I think all of us bloggers are being watched. Love the rolls!

Sophie said...

Sarah-Thank you, what an encouraging thing to hear.
Jeanine-It's good to hear from you! I don't know how he does it-crazy man :P.
Monica-Thanks for the warm welcome! :)
Sophie-Thanks for the update!
Marysol-You're such a sweetheart. I've just decided that blogging is more important than sleep ;).
Soundless-Space-Thanks for reading and dropping by!
Grace-Thanks for the kind words. I promise, they don't taste anything like meatballs lol :P.
Lisa-Thank you! The molasses flavor is quite subtle, but there. Definitely not too overwhelming :).

Zusiqu said...

Please don't think that your recipes are not welcome, because they ARE! There are many people who must go gluten free that need inspiration in the kitchen and your recipes look tantalizing.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Oh, I bet these are good with that molasses!

Sophie said...

Leslie: Good to hear from you! :)
Zusiqu: Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate it.
Tasty Eats at Home: Thanks for stopping by! Yep, molasses is one of those neat and tasty ingredients that doesn't get used nearly enough in my kitchen.