Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gluten-free Pecan Pie


If I had to choose one dessert that reminds me most of the Lone Star State, it'd be pecan pie. Unlike a lot of pies that require cooling before eating, pecan pie is delicious right out of the oven with ice cream (especially if you've got vanilla ice cream nearby).


Gooey, warm, molassesy, nutty... Molassesy? That's how I'd describe this pie. I used two somewhat different ingredients for the filling. Instead of using light brown sugar, I used dark brown sugar (more molasses). Instead of using regular corn syrup, I used dark corn syrup.

Ack! Corn syrup? I'll be honest. I've tried pecan pies without it and I personally find that it adds something to the texture of the filling. I tried the filling in this pie recipe and liked it, but wanted to go a little darker. I like dark chocolate and I like dark pecan pies. If you like toffee and molasses, you'll enjoy the warmer flavors in this pecan pie. Even gluten eaters gave it two thumbs (or forks) up! :) Actually, my husband gave it two spoons up because he likes to eat pie with a spoon.


Say a little prayer for Texas as you devour your next slice of pecan pie. It's a little more than hot out here, especially with all these fires! Maybe if we all do a rain dance together this drought will come to an end!

For the pie crust:
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons shortening, cubed
4 tablespoons cold butter, cold and cubed

Combine all dry ingredients. Next add the vanilla, butter and shortening. Time to get your hands dirty! Fold everything in. Then add the water towards the end. Shape dough into a ball. You can chill it or work with it as is. I like to roll it between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Because gluten-free dough isn't as elastic, don't roll out the pie dough too thin. Instead, roll it out up to 1/2 inch thick. Then place it in a greased pie pan. From there I do the repairs. This dough is resilient so you can easily shape it or pull off a piece here and there if there are areas that need more dough. Think of yourself as an artist working with clay :).

Pecan Pie Filling:
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon water
3 teaspoons corn starch
3 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2-3/4 cups pecans

This is the easy part! Slowly melt the butter in a pan. Mix the corn starch and water together in a small cup/bowl. Add the brown sugar to the melted butter--stir well. Next, add the corn starch, then stir in the corn syrup and everything but the eggs and pecans. Move it away from the flame. Allow it to cool for just a minute. Mix eggs together in a bowl and slowly pour the eggs in with the rest of the melted filling, then mix in the pecans.

Pour the filling into the pie. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, covered with the pie crust protector and aluminum foil (or just foil). Bake with coverings for 45 minutes. Then remove all the aluminum/pie crust cover and bake 10-15 more minutes, or until slightly browned on edges. Allow the pie cool for just a bit when it's done so that it sets.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This crust looks good. I've been having very bad luck with gluten free pie crust.
As soon as my new oven is delivered, I'm going to bake up some pies with this crust.
YUMMMEEEEE!

Sophie said...

Looking forward to seeing your pies, Sarah! Your photos are always awesome :). Wish I could taste them! :D

grace said...

pecan pie makes me weak in the knees. i'm glad you were able to find a gluten-free solution to the pie crust, but to be honest, the goo is all i need--no crust required! :)

Sophie said...

Thanks, Grace! Ooh, I know what you mean. I love pecan pie filling!