Friday, February 7, 2014

Gluten-Free Snickerdoodles



It's hard to believe this blog has been around since 2007!  Thank you for sticking around, despite the many quiet moments away.  Honestly, it hasn't been very quiet around here, with two very active and happy toddlers.

It's an exciting time.  I'm now able to share my love of baking with my firstborn, who becomes very offended if I even think about preheating the oven without her around.  So most of the time I do my baking when it isn't nap time, and a lot of those times an extra tablespoon of one thing or another gets thrown into the mixing bowl :).  But those moments in the kitchen are some of my favorites.

I promise this recipe will deliver, and that sticky fingers didn't throw in an extra tablespoon of salt or cream of tartar ;).  It's a classic recipe that's been perfected for the gluten sensitive, I promise. These were the lightest gluten free cookies I've ever tried, and a few mouths were even fooled into believing they were laden full of gluten.  There are a few surprising ingredients thrown into the mix, but I think that's what contributed to their light and airy texture.

Hope you enjoy these with your favorite people :).  Stay warm, wherever you are.

I know I owe one of you a fried chicken recipe, and I will get on that.  I also have a recipe for some of the gooiest gluten free cinnamon rolls you'll ever try.  A recipe that literally took years to perfect.  Don't think I've been wasting all this time away; there's been a lot of experimenting going on, and I'm happy to share some of the results with you.  There have been a few new gluten free flours thrown into the mix, and a bit of new information about those flours and our health uncovered, all info worth sharing. So... stay hungry :).

Light and Lovely Gluten-Free Snickerdoodles 
Makes about 18

1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of nutmeg

1 egg
5 tablespoons butter, softened slightly 
1 tablespoon yogurt
1 tablespoon buttermilk
3/4 cup white sugar

For rolling:
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375
Combine the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork or standing mixer.  Combine the wet ingredients with sugar in another bowl and mix well, then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients while mixing.  You can refrigerate the dough, but I just dropped balls of dough, about a tablespoon full, directly into the cinnamon sugar mixture, and then rolled them while they were in the mixture.  I did this instead of rolling the dough beforehand, I found that the cinnamon sugar coating made the dough very easy to manipulate :).  Make sure you arrange them about an inch apart on a cookie sheet, giving them some room to expand.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 12 minutes


No comments: