Sunday, September 16, 2007

About & Blogroll

Howdy, I'm Sophie! Welcome to my gluten-free blog, Flour Arrangements!

If you're wondering how I came up with the name for this blog, it was actually inspired by one of my favorite movies: Stranger Than Fiction. At one point in the movie, Will Ferrell brings the girl he's dating a box of different kinds of flours, and then he says: "I brought you flours!". I thought it was adorable, especially since she works at a bakery.

So you'd like to know a little about me?

I love to bake and cook. But about a year ago, after experiencing gut issues off and on throughout life, my doctor told me to switch to a gluten-free diet. The issues seemed to improve with the new diet. I went back to the docs for further testing; a genetic test then revealed that I have one of the "Celiac Disease genes". So there's more or less a 60% chance that I have it. The only way to know for sure is to go back on a gluten-rich diet, but the doc and I both don't want to do that :/.

So here I am: feeling better, still stingy with money and hungry for [a kitchen] adventure. My craving for sweets and carbs continues, but tasty and affordable gluten free baked goods are hard to come by. The solution to this problem? Experiment, experiment, experiment! That's what you'll find me doing.

I'm the girl in the kitchen making a big mess. I'm covered in many gluten-free flours and I've probably just spilled the ridiculously expensive xanthan gum on the floor again. Believe me, I'm no baking or cooking expert, but I'm also no longer afraid of baking gluten-free! (And I'm still trying to find that perfect gluten-free bread recipe!)

Because I understand how frustrating it can be to not be able to find specific recipes due to being on a particular diet, I enjoy helping people out with their own special health diets. If you're on the look-out for a recipe and you can't find one for what you're craving, let me know! Feel free to send me a comment and I'll see what I can do about helping you come up with one :).

Click Here to view my profile and contact info.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us









Tasty Blogs:
Foods and Flavors of San Antonio
The Crispy Cook
Book of Yum
The Spunky Coconut
Feeding Maybelle
A Little Cup of Mexican Hot Chocolate
Blogger Aid
Dana Treat
The Gluten Free Dish
Elana's Pantry
Healthy Tasty Chow
Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
Bean Plate
Celiac Foodie

17 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

Hi Sophie,

I'm happy to have discovered your blog. It's darling, and you look like you have some good stuff to post about. I'll be a regular :)

Lori

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the visit to my blog. I haven't been out of college for that long myself-- so am definitely living and therefore cooking on a budget. So I look forward to reading regular recipes that aren't over the top in terms of expensive ingredients.

Also, it sounds like you are satisfied with Picassa, but if you are ever looking for more editing ability in your photos, you can check out Gimp. It's free also! And, I'm no photo expert (just got my first expensive camera) but I'm pretty sure Gimp has quite a lot of features-- even if I can't most of them yet!

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the visit to my blog. I haven't been out of college for that long myself-- so am definitely living and therefore cooking on a budget. So I look forward to reading regular recipes that aren't over the top in terms of expensive ingredients.

Also, it sounds like you are satisfied with Picassa, but if you are ever looking for more editing ability in your photos, you can check out Gimp. It's free also! And, I'm no photo expert (just got my first expensive camera) but I'm pretty sure Gimp has quite a lot of features-- even if I can't most of them yet!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your awards Sophie! I think your blog is great and your recipes are delicious, well done!

Anonymous said...

Could you please tell me about "Designedbylara" ? Did you have a good experience? How long did everything take? Was she responsive to your needs?
Thanks..

contact me at
ty@furtherthekingdom.com

Despina said...

I am so glad I found your site. it is truy so pleasing to the eye. you have great photos and so many lovely recipes.

Lisa said...

Stranger than Fiction is one of my very favorite food movies. I relate to the baker inside as well as the accountant inside and...well....a lot of things in that movie. And your blog interpretation is so cheerful and pretty. I'm really glad I wandered by!

Anonymous said...

Sophie! can I ask you who did the design for your blog? I'm considering upgrading mine but am a bit perplexed in choosing among the many awesome web designers that are out there.
thanks in advance!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sophie, I love you blog, its so fun and informative. By the way, you look uncannily like my Lebanese sister-in-law. You're gorgeous!

cherryflute said...

I like your blog alot and the revamp looks good. The only think I miss is the blog link updates on the right side bar! I liked looking at that every day to see which blogs had updated.

I also like your recipes!!

Sophie said...

Thanks :). I've been taking a little break but I'll be posting again soon!

Anonymous said...

hi!
i just discovered your blog!
yay, another gf blogger :)

erin @http://glutenfreewithapurpose.wordpress.com/

Iris said...

Hi Sophie, I just found your blog and I'm loving it already. I'm also really hungry and looking at all of yours pictures is driving me crazy! Every recipe looks amazing!

Jennifer said...

I just came across your blog and love it!! So many wonderful gluten free recipes, thank you SO much!!!

Iris said...

When I first started buying gluten-free flour, I kept telling my boyfriend I was waiting for a package of flours. It took him a while to get that I meant flour not FLOWERS. :)

Hilary said...

I never knew the story behind your blog name - I thought you had dreamt it up yourself. That is so cute!

Unknown said...

Hey-
Just found your blog through the foodie blogroll and I love it!!! I started blogging gf just 2 months ago, still working on my site. Your recipes look fantastic, I'll definitely be a regular visitor.
cookingglutenfree.blogspot.com