Monday, September 17, 2007

Low-fat AND GOOD Snickerdoodles!

So today I baked some snickerdoodles before heading off to work, where they were then sampled by some fabulous gals with very refined taste buds; they were all under age 10 :). Of course, I didn't tell them they were low-fat, at their age, that isn't really a concern, unless they don't have a gallbladder like me! Anyway, they loved them...they even asked for more but I didn't want these sneaky snickerdoodles to spoil their appetite for dinner. Jose was even surprised that these classic but wonderful cookies could be made with such a small amount of butter, he calculated that they each had less than 1g of fat! Then we decided that the Food Network really needs to have a show centered around cooking healthy food that still tastes just as good or even better than the unhealthier versions. I do love me some Food Network, but I do get a little disappointed at how so many of the cooks/chefs on there feel the need to use a tub of butter to cook their desserts! If I wanted butter that bad, I would just eat the stick by itself and not even put the time into baking...and why put all that butter in a dessert if it's just going to leave you with regrets afterward? I swear to you, next to the chocolate chip ones I posted earlier, these cookies are some of the best and DO NOT TASTE LOWFAT AT ALL. I'm sure you'll have to try them in order to really understand what I'm talking about, so here's the recipe. They're super easy to make, and I bet you even have these ingredients in your kitchen already!


2 dozen delectable snickerdoodles with less than 1g of fat per cookie:
Yes, even Martha will find it hard to believe.

1 1/2 Cups white sugar
1/2 TBSP cinnamon
2 TBSP nonfat milk
2 TBSP softened/partially melted butter
2 eggs
2 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Cinnamon/Sugar Mix (guessing here--you decide what's good for you)
3 TBSP sugar
1 3/4 TBSP cinnamon

you know the unfancy drill of throwing it all into a bowl...then just roll up little 1 in. balls of dough and dip them into a cinnamon/sugar mix--place them on a cookie sheet and slightly flatten them out with a teaspoon and bake them at 400 for 10-11 minutes (they don't expand much, so you really just need about 3/4 of an in. between each cookie).

If anyone out there uses this recipe, tell me how you liked the cookies!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on a diet, but I had a sweet craving when I came across your recipe. I just got done making these and they are great. Sweet craving is gone and I didn't blow my diet. Thanks!

L in Indiana

Anonymous said...

I love these...great recipe and healthy too. I substituted unwashed raw cane sugar for the white sugar and gave the cookies a real sweet molasses cinnamon flavor!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. It is great! I made them today and they won't last long. I loved the taste and my kids especially liked them.

Jill in Grand Rapids, MI

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. They are so delicious. My kids especially loved them.

J in Grand Rapids, MI

Sophie said...

Thanks, J :)!

Taylor said...

I made these using 1 1/3 c. whole wheat + 1 c. white flour, and they came out awesome! I creamed the butter and sugar, then added the eggs. I then added the sifted dry ingredients and rolled in confectioner's sugar and cinnamon (bc I'm an idiot and used the rest of my sugar in the cookies without realizing I needed more!)

They're really tasty...Mine made 2 dozen. Thanks!

Karen @ Mars Needs Fabric said...

I think I forgot the 2 tbsp of milk - but they were still good! I did what Taylor did with whole wheat flour. This is a keeper!

Sophie said...

Taylor and Karen: Thank you both for giving these a healthy make-over with whole wheat flour and posting about it :)! I appreciate your feedback and kind remarks :).

Anonymous said...

The recipe turned out great, I just made a batch and have eaten three already - no more though, well, not for a bit anyway

Yummy

Alyssa said...

Excellent recipe! I just made a batch and they were very tasty, almost like mini cinnamon cakes. They were also very easy to make. I did find the cookies to be just a bit too sweet for my personal taste, but other than that they were perfect! And guilt-free :D.

Sophie said...

Anonymous and Alyssa: Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me know how you enjoyed the recipe :). Alyssa, I can see how they can be a bit sweet...I have a big sweet tooth :D.

Anonymous said...

Delicious, sweet, and moist treat! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

They were delish, thanks! Mine came out a tad odd because I added too much milk (I got annoyed that the batter was dry before mixing it thoroughly, lol). I also forgot to spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray, which wasn't such a big deal after all. I also substituted some whole wheat flour. Thanks for the recipe--I feel better about stealing 2 tbsp of my roommate's butter than a cup, haha.

Anonymous said...

I have never, NEVER, baked in my entire life and I was forced to do so for a Christmas party last weekend. (There was a cookie baking contest that all the girls were forced in to)

So I decided to look for a low-fat option since I figured I would be stuffing my face with all these cookies. Low and behold this website is the first option when you type in "low-fat snickerdoodle."

I followed the instructions word by word and I actually managed to not screw up! Everyone at the party loved them. I got second place in the contest and my boyfriend was obsessed with them! He ate about 10 of them and then he told me he saved me one, but then he ate that one too because I "waited too long" to eat it.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely try to make these again!

Danielle McKnight said...

These turned out really great. Used unbleached flour and added about a tsp of vanilla. Also, I guess I don't know how big an inch is because I ended up with about 40 cookies! ... But that just means I get to eat more!! :-)

Sophie said...

Thank you all so much for posting back about the cookies! Love to hear about how you enjoyed them :).

Steffie(: said...

These are so amazing!
They're delicious and i love them :)
Definitely making them again, thanks so much!

Emmum said...

Love love love these cookies - I have made them dairy free as well by using dairy free spread instead of butter and replaced the no-fat milk with almond milk and they turn out great either way!

Anonymous said...

They were simply amazing thank you so much!