Friday, July 4, 2008

Mini Strawberry Pie and a Chocolate Cherry Turnover

Happy 4th of July! Hope you are enjoying the day off with friends and/or family. So far, I've spent the day baking/cooking/grocery shopping...and celebrating the fact that Jose sold our car! Woohoo! This evening we'll hopefully be attending a free orchestra concert with fireworks in the park :D, read about it here. That doesn't start until a few hours from now. In the meantime, I think I'll just relax at home with the hubby, enjoy the day off, and watch the cool/nerdy 4th of July specials on the History Channel. But before I do that, I'll leave you with a few yummy recipes.





The mini strawberry pie is a fun dessert for two, we plan on taking it to tonight's fireworks show :)! As for the turnover -- well, I had a bit of pie dough left over that I didn't want to waste, and I also bought some cherries yesterday. So I made a dark chocolate cherry turnover for Jose.


(I was originally hoping to make a cherry cake, using fresh homemade cherry jam and other good stuff...but then the dough turned into cement-colored gooeyness and, in the end, the 'cake' couldn't be rescued. I tried, really, I even went so far as the bake it, but the outside burned and the inside didn't cook. Such is the life of a Sophie-baked Frankenstein cake.) Thankfully, the dough for the pie/turnover came out really yummy...not healthy, though. I still haven't figured out how to make butter-less pastry dough -- any ideas?


Hope the rest of your day is delicious and fun...and free of kitchen adventures gone wrong ;).

Mini Strawberry Pie and a Chocolate Cherry Turnover

The pie dough recipe is really delicious, almost cookie-like in ...

See Mini Strawberry Pie and a Chocolate Cherry Turnover on Key Ingredient.

24 comments:

Y said...

That turnover is very cute, and I'm a big fan of lattice pies too :)

Mama Mia said...

hooooooooooow cute is that!?!?!? too cute for words! Looks yummy too! I would love to try making something like that with all of the fresh cherries and strawberries in my fridge. but im too lazy... haha

Emily said...

The turnovers and pie are so cute! I love anything with strawberries or cherries.
Hope you had a great 4th.

grace said...

i love the heart! and i love that you've provided some nice recipes for those of us with only one or two mouths to food. :)

Honeyed Hashette said...

Cute!
I love lattice.
Hope you had a wonderful 4th!

Anonymous said...

happy belated 4th, Sophie!
your turnovers are making me hungry. :)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

The strawbwrry pie looks delicous. I bought a big punnet at moy local farmers market this morning so am trying to think of things t odo with the, - this will be a must!

Lucy..♥ said...

I just love berries, your pie & turnovers looks so yummy! In fact I just made a strawberry pie too, will be posting in a day or two... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sophie,this heart-shaped strawberry on top is so cute. For the pie dough - have you tried organic non-hydrogenated shortening instead? Or may be a combination of this shortening and vegetarian butter-like spread?

Erin said...

I just found your blog, and love all the tasty baking you showcase! The mini pies are too cute, and perfect to bring to a 4th of July celebration. I need more mini cake/pie type dishes, because I rarely want to make a full sized dessert like that for just me and my husband. The lattice top is always a nice touch, too!

Anonymous said...

The mini pie is so cute. And I love the heart shaped strawberry. Making mini-desserts is such a wonderful idea. My boyfriend and I end up consuming full desserts when I make them which is so unnecessary. A pie for two would be so much more appropriate.

Deeba PAB said...

That's a clever looking turnover Sophie...scrumptious way to do it! Love it!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

This is delicious!! Chocolate and cherries, plus pastry? I'm in for some! :)

Prudy said...

Daling pie. My little girl made a mini raspberry lattice topped pie, but I think your heart cut strawberry takes the cake.

Leslie said...

How cute are these??? Love the strawberry cut out as a heart!

Elle said...

those look so delicious! I love cherries and strawberries. Sorry about your Frankenstein cake, though!

Rita Sella said...

ohhh... yummm... I think I gotta try your recipe, I'm a pie eater

Deborah said...

Love the turnover!! I hope you had a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Darling! Lovely blog. And the name is perfect!

maybelles mom said...

mini-pies makers unite! I just mini-lattice ones too not too long ago, and it is so satisfying

Laurie said...

I am seeing chocolate and cherries all over! Yumm..this looks delicious..both of them!

Nina Timm said...

I'll take a few of those turnovers.... the lattice pie is also very impressive.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

It looks so adorable, I love everything in "mini" size!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mm this looks so good, yum yum.
hehe im glad you liked the smiley cupcake :) i drew it all by myself haha.