Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Daring Bakers July


Sooo I bet you're wondering why this little cake looks so different from everyone else's? Well I kinda messed up...big time :P. Let's just say things were crooked that were supposed to be nice and straight, some things were a bit on the goopy and watery side, and others just...didn't look very appetizing, to say the least.

Instead of completely giving up on this usually very beautiful cake, known as the Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream, I decided to improvise. I mixed all the sauces, glazes, creamy stuff together to create an 'interesting' (to put it nicely) flavor combo. To make the finished product a bit more aesthetically appealing, I decided to cut up the cake into individual squares. I figured, if the ugliness was divided up on the plate, instead of being presented as one big nasty mess, things wouldn't look so appalling to my coworkers, who'd actually be the ones enjoying this cake later on :D.


Thankfully, it tasted yummy. I didn't deviate too much from the initial recipe, as far as ingredients go, so it was more than edible. I'll blame my failures on the day I prepared the cake; I made it on my 'tortilla day' a few weeks ago...and we all know how that went :P! Oh well, it was fun, and I definitely learned a few things. As you can see, even the ganache came out off, that's why I decided to drizzle it on my cake instead of bathing the already-messy dessert chocolate.

Alrighty, I'm off...I have less than 24 hours to finish cleaning up the apartment and packing those last bits and pieces of who knows what -- you know, the random items that don't really have a designated box? I cannot wait until I can sleep for 3-4 hours on the plane tomorrow. I am super excited about moving to Boston, don't get me wrong, but packing can be quite exhausting! Watch, tonight I probably won't even be able to sleep. Whenever fun things like this in my life happen, I get too excited to actually get any shut eye the night before, kind of like a kiddo on Christmas Eve!

Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream

From Great Cakes by Carol Walter

See Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream on Key Ingredient.

24 comments:

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

Definately "A" for effort.... and besides, it doesn't look bad in the pics at all.... It is just unique :)

Anonymous said...

doesn't look like you messed up at all, both the cake and the pictures look absolutely smashing.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what I name that box when I move. I love your reconstructed version though.

Good luck on the move and drop me a line when you get settled in Boston, I'll give you some suggestions for good bakeries! I miss living there....

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE your variation of this month's Daring Bakers Challenge!!

Best of luck with your move to Boston!!

Anonymous said...

How cool that you made the best out of your maybe not-so-best original cake! Your final products are so reminiscent of petit fours and they look just as adorable! Great ingenuity on this challenge!

Sharon said...

Though it may not have gone as originally planned, it still looks beautiful and it tastes good which is most important! Looks like this month's challenge was difficult all around.

Deborah said...

Great way to improvise! Mine is still at home, waiting for the ganache when I go home for lunch. Can't wait to hear from you when you get to Boston!

Michele said...

If this cake tastes as good as it looks...girl you are golden! If you didn't mention that some things didn't work out no one would ever know. Good job girlfriend!

cakewardrobe said...

If you didn't write about a mess up, I wouldn't have figured at all! Great job!

grace said...

good save, sophie! based on what i've read from other db-ers, it's a super rich dessert and the ganache probably wasn't needed anyway.
i hope your move goes smoothly! :)

Honeyed Hashette said...

I think they look ADORABLE! :)

Tara said...

How can you leave this 100 degree heat? :-)

Julie said...

They look like delicious petite fours, and if they tasted yummy, it's not much of a mess up! I definitely want one now!

Vera said...

Sophie, the most important thing is the dessert tasted good. Very original solution, I must say! Your "gateau-squares" look very appetizing!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures make the cake look way better than you're giving yourself credit for!

Emily said...

I bet it did taste yummy!

Good job.

RecipeGirl said...

Kudos to you for trying. I didn't get to the challenge this month. Your little slices look yummy.

Yay for Boston! Love that city. Lucky you!

Tracy said...

I wonder if drool can cause a short in pc keyboard electrics...LOL! Because I'm drooling over this one...This is a very classy sweet treat! Happy Days ((HUGS))

Jennywenny said...

Wow, they look awesome! Congratulations for improvising so beautifully. I swear a little piece of me dies every time someone says 'and then it went in the trash'! Its so nice to see someone making the best of something. Well done for channeling your inner julia child! Good luck in Boston.

Christy said...

Sophie, I love your gateau squares!! You can serve them as a petit four item with afternoon tea. Don't think that you messed up the cake, just think of it in the way that there's now more to go around! Best of luck with your move!!

Lauren said...

Ooo I say that it doesn't look messed up at all! They look so cute!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Aw never mind, I think yours still looks fine and hey who cares what it looks like anyway its the taste that counts :P

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I really like the albino look!

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow, if this is considered messing up, then you are more than welcome to come use my oven ;) I am not a strong baker, so I think yours turned out wonderful. The daring baker challenge always seem to be more difficult, so kudos to you!