Sunday, August 3, 2008

No baking for about a week...just had a fire!


I gave this oven a chance, I really did.

I had my hopes. I saw dozens of cookies and desserts baking up golden and delicious behind that oven door. I pictured a Thanksgiving turkey roasting beneath those 'antiquated' burners, to put it nicely. Sure, the oven was ugly, but it worked...sort of...


Ok...so maybe the knobs needed a little attention. With just one simple twist, they came off. Poor little guys needed to be replaced...and I thought that was all that needed to be replaced...


Then I tried baking...boy, was that an adventure. The oven knob wasn't quite up to date. Let's just say the numbers 1-6 as oven setting indicators on the knob instead of actual temperature settings (with degrees) were evidence of this poor oven's age...all I did was turn the oven on, with hopes that I could bake my mover a batch of cookies as a way of saying thanks for helping, and then sparks flew -- NOT THE GOOD KIND. My exposed legs were literally inches away from the fiery sparks...I'd purchased an oven thermometer a few days ago, so that I could figure out what temperatures matched the numerical settings on the oven knob, and the oven went up to 600 just 5 minutes after turning it to setting '4'! I tried turning it off and the knob wouldn't turn, it was about to break off too!

Finally, I got it to turn off. The oven kept popping, so I called the fire department with my cell phone and they unplugged the thing. The Lt. himself said it was no longer safe to use :(. Good news is that I'm still alive and I'll be getting a new oven soon. I won't be baking or cooking for about another week, though, seems they'll have to order a new one. I just don't understand how HARVARD, yes HARVARD, can have such crappy appliances in their grad student apartments and yet be such a well endowed school! It literally receives millions of bucks from its alumni; Jose and I decided that they spend all their money on the landscaping. Also, I find it funny that our neighbors drive a BMS SUV and have an old mansion for a home, but we don't even have an oven that functions...

Ok, so don't get me wrong. I love this place. My apartment has a certain charm about it; it's quite pretty on the outside, actually. Sad thing is, they try to preserve the place so much that they don't exactly keep anything up to date. Check out our heater. I don't even know if I want to try connecting it when it starts cooling off here!



As I mentioned a few paragraphs ago, I won't be baking or cooking for a few days. Our stove/oven unit is completely unplugged (thanks to the firefighters) and I plan on leaving it that way...I kinda want to stay alive to see the rest of Boston :); I'm sure you all understand :). For now, I'll be working from home (woohoo!) and staying busy trying to get this place cleaned up; it'll be awhile before we actually get situated. But guess what?! I live literally right down the street from Savenor's, where Julia Child used to shop for her groceries! I stopped by the place yesterday and took a few pics! Also picked up some fish (before the oven explosion) and they gave me a free lemon :)! I have a feeling that place will be seeing a lot of me these next few years. So you want to see more pics of the Boston adventures? I'll be starting a new blog for Boston in a bit, but for now you can check out my flickr page by clicking here! Cya'll later :).

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa! good to hear you're ok, but be careful, doll. ovens truly are evil.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is scary. At least you're okay and it didn't burn your apartment down. I'm surprised you had such an old oven. I've never heard of an oven being set by a number on a dial.

Emily said...

Wow, Sophie! That is so scary! I'm glad you're okay.
At least you get a new oven/stove out of it.

I love the look of your new apartment! Boston looks like it could be fun.

Rita Sella said...

wow... what a story soph ! i hope the new oven will come very soon

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Yikes!! Thank goodness you weren't hurt. Hang in there!!

I used to reside in Boston, so it's lovely to read that you're enjoying living there.

Anonymous said...

Oh old old appliances and heaters. I've mad my share of those. My current oven is on the verge of exploding-- probably will spark first like yours. I can't wait to have it replaced. Enjoy getting settled in!

grace said...

this reminds me of my first solo apartment, except i didn't have that awesome facade. hang in there! :)

Tracy said...

Whew...just glad you're ok!! That is was not much worse...your post title really had me scared for you. Old appliances are tricky critters...Be careful! ((HUGS))

Y said...

But you know what, it's actually good news, because now you have an excuse to get a new oven! If the old one "sort of" worked, you would've probably stuck with it and it's ineptitude would've driven you bananas. So, hooray for the new oven! :)

Michele said...

OMG! Thank goodness you are okay. That could have been a bigger disaster. At least now you have a new oven to look forward to breaking in!

Elle said...

So glad you weren't hurt! But it's good to get a new oven, right?

Haley said...

that is crazy sophie! at least you will have a new oven up and running and ready for us to bake some berries! miss you here!

Vera said...

Sophie, I'm glad you survived! From the other hand, it's so nice to get a brand new oven (I hope it's gonna be a brand new one). Take care._

Honeyed Hashette said...

YIKES! I am glad you are okay!
Congrats on Harvard! I figured you were a smarty pants. :)

Cakespy said...

Oh gosh! I am glad you are OK, it could have been really seriously bad times!

The apartment building is gorgeous, btw. Architecture is one of my favorite things, so I loved seeing it!

Leslie said...

OMG..can you imagine if you caught the whole apartment complex on fire? Thank goodness nothing happened!

Mama Mia said...

poor oven! I was checking out your flickr pictures! I want to visit Boston now. Ive never been before. And that supermarket looks great!

Stephanie said...

Wow, what an oven! Glad to hear that you survived, and are getting a new oven!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Sophie, I'm so glad to hear that you're OK. I tell you, machines and appliances are taking over the world. We'll just have to show them who's the boss. Bless your heart, stay safe...PLEASE. Thanks for stoping by my site. I truly appreciate that.

Prudy said...

Oh, frightening! Glad to hear you're doing OK and that you're living the good life at Harvard.

Mary Ann said...

I had to go without the oven for a week a little while ago and it drove me crazy! Glad you are ok. Your db challenge looks wonderful.

Sharon said...

Glad to hear you're safe, but sorry about the oven! Your apartment is quite pretty. I suppose living in something classic has its ups and downs :) Looking forward to your baking return!

Michele said...

I left something for you on my blog! Check it out!

Leslie said...

Thanks for your comment on my DRY pound cake!!!!Oh and I love your new avatar!! Very cute pic!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Oh sorry to hear about your fire accident! Good to know you're ok. Hope you don't miss baking to much! Just think on the great thing you're gonna do on the new one!

Snooky doodle said...

Oh thank got you didn t burn yourself. I would be shaking if i didn t bake for a week . I ts my stress cure :-) At least you ll bake with a brand new oven when it comes.

J.J. said...

Glad to here that you're ok! Eek!

I had a similar experience with my current apartment, except it was with the dish washer. Many good utensils died that day. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Boston! I know I'm late with my welcomes. And hey, you got a new oven! I almost wish mine would throw sparks so I could get it replaced.

Are you living in Cambridge? How are you enjoying it here so far? And yes, the weather here has been unusual for August.

Welcome again!!!