Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mini Gluten-Free Apricot Bluberry Muffin Scones


Ok...so I know what you're thinking. Why, out of what seems to be 'nowhere', am I posting a gluten-free recipe? Well, if you're somewhat of a long-time reader, you might remember this post, where I talk about some issues I'd been facing with my gut. Let's just say I wasn't diagnosed properly in the past. The doctor who told me I had IBS wasn't exactly on target; it still didn't explain why I'd felt not so great for awhile and lost so much weight (oh, about 15 pounds...which is a lot when your max weight your entire life was about 110 and you're 5'3"). Another thing I thought was kind of funny was that while most people gain weight when they're baking like crazy, I was losing weight! The more I baked, the more I lost! Ha! I also noticed that I felt the worst after eating sweets...and all along I thought it was just the butter or oil...

So I get to Boston, lose 4 more pounds while trying to deal with these weird gastrointestinal issues, and decide to pay our new awesome doctor a visit. She looks over my medical history, ruffles her brow while sitting confidently but comfortably in her chair, and ever so calmly asks the following: "Your symptoms sound a lot like they're related to a gluten allergy, have you ever been on a gluten-free diet?". Hmmm...no, I've never tried it. Thought it wasn't for me, as I tested negative on the blood test for Celiac disease (and my last doctor was convinced that I didn't have it). That's what I told this new doc of mine. Then she tells me about that blood test not being very accurate; that there are a ton of false negatives, and that there's a difference between gluten sensitivities and Celiac disease. She goes on to say that folks with my same symptoms have improved by altering their diets, eliminating gluten and sometimes other foods that they're 'sensitive' to, like casein -- which is in dairy products (not to be confused with lactose intolerance).

I give it a go. Reluctantly, I admit. I have my doubts, am very skeptical, but what do I have to lose? Sure, I can't eat baked goods that contain all-purpose flour, or condiments/other random foods that contain gluten, but it really isn't so bad. In fact, it hasn't been bad at all...to my surprise, I've been on this diet for about a week and I feel better already. What?! Yes, even I am surprised...pleasantly surprised.

Now it seems my blog might actually be living up to its name. Flour Arrangements. Yep, that's what it's definitely turning in to, an arrangement of various flours. I have a new collection in my pantry ranging from amaranth to brown rice and tapioca flour. This whole gluten-free baking thing is fairly new to me. It's a little intimidating, but fun. My kitchen is turning into a crazy lab, where I try to make up gluten-free treats that actually have the consistency of a delectable baked good. All that I ask is that you bear with me, as I am still trying to figure out how each and every one of these different flours work and taste :). It's exciting. Most of all, I'm happy to report that I'm feeling better. Over time, things should improve even more. I'm finding out that I might have other food allergies/sensitivities, which you'll probably be able to pick up on as you stay tuned for more recipes. I'm not the least bit disappointed, though, nor do I feel robbed of anything. In fact, I feel somewhat relieved. Things make sense now...what a relief! Who knew that even gallbladder disease could be caused by a gluten allergy?!

What's all this talk about muffin-scones? Ok. I admit, I initially wanted to make muffins...but these minis came out looking more like scones with muffiny centers. They're having an identity crisis, let's just put it that way. But they're cute, so we have to excuse them for their inability to decide what kind of starchy dessert they really are. In my opinion, they look like muffins on a 'bad hair' day, and we can all relate to that! Honestly, the flavor is right on target; they're quite addicting, to my surprise. Blueberries have a way of making everything taste delicious, though, so I'll credit them for the tastiness of these mini muffin-scones :).

P.S. If you're curious about gluten allergies and aren't feeling so hot yourself, I've found that these two sites are pretty informative: click here and here.

Gluten-free Blueberry Apricot Muffins

Cute but tasty. The ingredients are in the title :)...but ...

See Gluten-free Blueberry Apricot Muffins on Key Ingredient.

23 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wonderful post!! As you know, I'm a "gluten-freer" now, so I understand what you've been enduring (oh and we're the same height!! 5' 3"!! Haha). Hang in there with it all!! If you need any advice on favorite gluten-free baking products or anything, you know where to find me :0)

Love the muffin scones!! Yum!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling better Sophie!

My lovely mother-in-law is gluten free too - can't wait to send her your recipe (or better still, make it for her!).

Because of this, my recipe index specifies which of my recipes are gluten free... not sure if you've noticed.

Love the combo of these muff-ones (geddit!?). Yum, Yum! x

J.J. said...

Glad to hear that you finally figured it out! Also, that you are feeling so much better.

Give me a call when you want to finish our conversation. Or if you have questions. Or emotional support. Whatever you need. :)

I have a longer list of good gluten free websites than is on my blog, so let me know if you need any.

Talk to you soon!

Vera said...

Sophie, I'm so glad you are feeling much better now!
The muffins are very cute.

Mama Mia said...

gluten free?! muffins?! sign me up! yummmm~

Anonymous said...

good luck on this new "journey", Sophie. my dad just found out he had to nix many, many foods from his diet [including gluten-laden stuff], so it's definitely not always easy, but it's worth it to feel better, no doubt.
hugs.

Emily said...

Hey, I'm 5'3 too! Maybe I'm allergic to gluten like you and Veggie Girl.

I'm sorry about your allergy, but I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I'm going to try and come up with some gluten-free recipes.
The scones sound delicious.

Y said...

Well I'm certainly glad to hear you're feeling better. I'm looking forward to reading more about your new baking adventures too. Brown rice and tapioca flour sound very interesting!

Tracy said...

Very glad you are doing better now, Sophie! My mom has IBS, and my SIL is gluten intolerant...both had quite the journey to get to the heart of their health problems. When symptoms overlap, it's hard to find the real cause and make changes. You provide a very good personal account here, and very good links. And recipe...I must pass this on to my SIL! Happy Day ((HUGS))

Leslie said...

Well its great that they finally figured it out! Goodness..I wish the more I baked the more weight I lost!

Prudy said...

Oh, I hope you will be feeling completely better soon. You better get cracking on these gluten free recipes so you can put some skin on your bones. I'm sure you'll be able to help a lot of people with your wonderful recipes.

grace said...

nice detective work! these muffin scones (great name, by the way) look absolutely delicious--mini is always better. :)

Snooky doodle said...

I m glad that you re not feeling down cuse of your new found allergy. Its interesting to make gluten free recipes. Its not rare to be gluten intolerant so I ll be happy to try your recipes. These muffin-scone look really cute and delicious. !!!

Lot-O-Choc said...

So glad you are feeling better :)
and I'm sure youll still be able to bake delicious gluten free baking products! :)

Deborah said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! I've never really tried gluten-free baking, so I'm excited to see what you come up with!

La Bella Cooks said...

I enjoyed this post and I am hoping you are still feeling better. These little scones look delicious. I think 5'3" must be a popular height for us girls ;) I am off to check out your links on gluten.

Y said...

(Psst Sophie.. Happy Birthday! :D )

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Good luck with the new "foodstyle"! Keep those muffin scones close, they look great!

Anonymous said...

These sound really good-- and I'm excited by the gluten-free aspect.
And, I'm happy that you've hopefully found a way to combat some of your gut issues. It must be quite the relief.

RecipeGirl said...

Well I'm glad it seems to be working and making you feel better. The docs thought my mom had that sort of thing too and we put her on a gluten free diet for a while. It was fun to find all sorts of things (especially at Trader Joes) to feed her, but it turned out it wasn't that. Good luck with it! Your little muffin-scones are very cute.

Honeyed Hashette said...

SO glad you are feeling better! I can't wait to see what you come up with using your new ingredients!

Anonymous said...

Great info thanks.
I also got the IBS diagnosis from my Doc and just sent on my way. So its great to read peoples own findings. Esp when looking for scone recipies!

Lauren Denneson said...

I thought I had previously stumbled upon your site and it wasn't GF - this post explains why your more recent posts are GF! mystery solved. I'm glad you are feeling relief with the GF diet.
My story is very similar - originally tested negative for celiac via a blood test and then went hog wild on bread (cause I had a test to show it wouldn't make me feel worse) and then ended up feeling WAY worse as a result.