Friday, December 12, 2008

Gluten-Free Yellow Cake and Tasty Gluten-Free Bread


When it comes to gluten-free baking 'the basics' aren't so easy, at least for me they aren't. Desserts like muffins and cookies aren't too difficult to create recipes for, but when the topic moves to bread or just a plain ol' cake, it isn't so simple...maybe it's because I remember what the gluteny versions taste like :).


The other day I was craving a simple cake. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting, to be more exact, one of my favorite desserts. It really doesn't get anymore simple (and delicious) than that, at least for me. But I was craving the flavor of all the yellow cakes I'd had before the gluten-free life. Thankfully, the gluten-free yellow cake I made tasted just like the yellow cakes I'd been missing! It was my lucky day, and I got to finish it off with a moist slice of tasty yellow cake!


But what about bread? I usually don't have much luck with yeast breads, but I had luck with Gluten-Free Girl's Sandwich Bread that also tastes delicious as french toast (almost like a glazed donut!). I followed the recipe pretty much to the T, but I... added 3 tablespoons of brown sugar (because I didn't have sweet rice flour), drizzled the loaf with honey, cut the pre-baking rising time to 1 hour, and used a medium-sized loaf pan. Oh, and for some reason, my bread finished baking in 45 minutes :).


I've been in carb heaven all week :)...




Since we're talking about baking, aren't these Sugarbunnies too cute? My Sanrio addiction started in pre-school and I'm not outgrowing it. Hoping to find a few cute images, I looked them up recently and found their Wiki page (Yes, I actually read it :D!). It turns out these bunnies are the stars of an old anime cartoon, where they befriended a girl named Sophia and taught her how to bake! I wonder if the Sugarbunnies can teach me how to bake more gluten-free treats ;)?!

Easiest Gluten-Free Yellow Cake

Makes enough for 1 small round cake…double if you ...

See Easiest Gluten-Free Yellow Cake on Key Ingredient.

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha!! Hooray for Carb Heaven ;-)

Cute Sugarbunnies!!

Unknown said...

That cake looks great!

Snooky doodle said...

you re great . both these recipes look delicious and they re gluten free. WOW those bunnies are cute :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That looks so delicious. And I can't believe it is gluten-free. Mmmm, yum!

Emily said...

Gosh, that cake looks amazing!

CookiePie said...

Both recipes look great -- and I love that classic yellow cake-chocolate frosting combo!

La Bella Cooks said...

I love those little bunnies! My daughter would love them too but I can't show her otherwise it will be added to the Xmas list which is growing my the day! The cake looks mouthwatering, Sophie! I would be in carb heaven as well.

Vera said...

They both look yummy, Sophie!

Food For Tots said...

Your cake and bread looks so yummy! Those 2 little bunnies are so adorable! Feel like giving them a big hug now!

Anonymous said...

Great photos Sophie! Mmm chocolate icing, yum!

Katie said...

Gorgeous cake! I've never made a GF cake from scratch, but the mixes I've tried have all been very good. I like GF cake even better than regular.

grace said...

carb heaven, eh? a lovely place to be. i'm digging the icing on your stunning cake--so rich and creamy.

Cove Girl said...

I can't wait to try the yellow cake. It's one of my faves as well.

Marysol said...

Oh but that luscious picture speaks volumes.
Btw, a butter cake with chocolate icing is what my DH often craves. Maybe I'll surprise him with one this week.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Carb Heaven rocks :) I haven't had a good cake in soooo long! This looks fabulous!

Deborah said...

One of my favorite cakes is yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Too bad my husband doesn't like it so I don't make it very often...

Alexa said...

It all look so good... Nothing like a good loaf of bread to make you day. I made one yesterday from Living Without magazine. It was easy and fantastic. Let me know if you want me to email you the recipe.

Elle said...

I love carb heaven! And visit it often, lol. These recipes are wonderful and they look delicious!

Lauren said...

The yellow cake looks fab, Sophie! Hope your holidays are going well.

Nic said...

That looks delicious, I wish I could lick that chocolate off right now!

Haley said...

aw, those bunnies are cute... you are too funny!

i have a few good gluten free bread recipes i need to send to you :)

pam said...

The cake looks good. I love the fabric behind it!

Cakespy said...

Would you look at the gorgeous texture of that frosting. Lovely presentation too!

Paula said...

Happy New Year! I just spent some time going through your posts! Your blog is wonderful! My youngest can't eat wheat, and just yesterday was asking about cake. I'm so pleased to see your recipe. As a side note, both of my girls (13 and 9) are huge Sanrio fans with no end in sight. Hello Kitty and Choco cat are the items of choice in our household ... purses, jewelery (nice stuff), pens, etc. The amazing thing is that they just discovered this stuff about a year ago. They are hooked!