Monday, June 8, 2009

A Gluten Free Breakfast Feast: Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes and Chorizo

Breakfast can be...



not so fun for the gluten intolerant crowd.

Agreed?

Think about all the pancakes, the french toast, the regular toast! Oh how I miss plain ol' toast!

Agreed.

Oh, and gone are the days when we can wake up and say "Hey, I'm craving a really huge breakfast but I'm too lazy to make it." Forget about going out to eat for breakfast! To be honest, I'm pretty cheap anyway, and have never really been one to go out much for breakfast but...

I did/do enjoy eating breakfast after dinner.

I eat pancakes before bed, almost every night, sometimes I have cereal. I looooove breakfast, I don't think I've said it enough ;).



In college, I was a big fan of Kerbey Lane pancakes. If you're from Austin, or have visited the city before, you know what I'm talking about!

For some reason, awhile back Guy Fieri went to Magnolia's (another quirky Austin cafe). They featured their pancakes on the show, but Guy should've gone to Kerbey Lane instead! Their pancakes are so much better and they even come in different flavors. My favorite? Gingerbread and Apple. Like I said, I haven't had those pancakes since college, and won't be able to eat them again unless they decide to start making a gluten-free version (I hope you're listening Kerbey Lane!).

But I can't complain because...

I found these cookies! Nana's Gluten Free Ginger Cookies are the best gluten free cookies EVERRRRR! What does this have anything to do with pancakes? Their cookies taste just like the Kerbey Lane gingerbread pancakes!



Normally, I get a little weirded out when food tastes like something it isn't supposed to taste like. For instance, I tried quinoa pasta this weekend and was weirded out a little that it tasted like quinoa. No surprise there, it does say quinoa on the ingredients list. I do love quinoa, but pasta is supposed to taste like pasta. But it is okay if cookies taste like pancakes, because they're both at the top of my favorite things to eat before bedtime list. (Oh and they're both sugary! So I guess it's safe to say that sweet foods are allowed to taste like each other. :)

But there's another problem! I don't eat cookies for breakfast (at least not anymore :D) so what to do? What to do?! You make these soft and sweet almost flap-jack like gluten-free cornmeal pancakes! They have a subtle cornmeal taste, but not so much that you'll feel like you're eating cornbread instead of pancakes :).

What if you're like me and don't fill up on just pancakes?



You make this amazing chorizo! Click here for the original recipe.

I have to admit, I actually made this about 6 months ago but never got around to posting it! I made mine a little less spicy and didn't add the tequila, but it was still quite tasty. I do think it tastes more chorizoy if you let the flavors meld overnight. Marinate the seasoned ground meat in the fridge over night and your home will smell like heaven in the morning, everyone will be an early riser the day you serve this for breakfast!

Gluten-Free Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes

Soft and lightly sweetened.

See Gluten-Free Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes on Key Ingredient.



20 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Bravo!! Here's to us gluten-freers enjoying breakfast again :-)

Hilary said...

Making your own chorizo? That is so cool. And those pancakes look lovely and fluffy - as good as any flour version!

maybelle's mom said...

My husband is a big breakfast for dinner person. ANd, these GF pancakes are seriously fluffy. I meant to tell you--I passed your blog onto a few GF people recently.

Deborah said...

How funny - one of my upcoming posts is cornmeal pancakes! But not gluten-free, but these look just as good!

Y said...

Love chorizo! So impressed you made not just gluten free pancakes, but your own chorizo as well!

Sharon said...

What a perfect gluten free breakfast! I've tried those cookies and yes they are delicious! I also bought my first bag of Arrowhead Cookies which are also quite tasty and gluten free.

Monica H said...

Your pancakes look great! I love breakfast for dinner and you're so right about Kerbey lane pancakes. Their cherry pancakes are killer!

Lauren said...

Those pancakes look so beautiful, Sophie! I totally thought they were made with white flour... but of course not, since this is your amazing GF blog! The sausage sounds even better.

Emily said...

Ahhhh the pancakes look perfect. Ugh, I want them so bad. More than I have ever wanted any other pancakes.

I like breakfast too! And cereal. We should have breakfast together sometime! What's your favorite cereal? I like Banana Nut Bread cereal. I can't remember if that's what it's called.

grace said...

fact: i would rather not live than be kept from eating pancakes. bless your heart for coming up with a gluten-free recipe. :)

Ann said...

Wow! I just stumbled on your website and it's beautiful and every recipe that you've done looks fantastic! I'll be sure to keep reading. I'm not gf but lots of my stuff is since my hubby is allergic to wheat but mildly (best be safe:)

cindy* said...

breakfast definitely has to be difficult for the gluten-free bunch...good thing you got this blog going on over here to help out. i rarely eat breakfast, too early for food... the pancakes look great and now i'm dreaming of gingerbread pancakes...mmm!

GF Gidget said...

A-MAZING!!!!!!! Breakfast can be rather devastating when everyone around is eating pancakes and you can't. I was craving fluffy pancake deliciousness last night. I just might have to make these soon.

Tracy said...

Breakfast anything...for breakfast, lunch or dinner...I love anytime too! :o) Super dishes here, Sophie...Those pancakes are calling my name ;o) Happy weekend ((HUGS))

The Gluten-Free 'Dish' said...

Beautiful pancakes! I would love to try these. I'm so glad to find your blog.

Mama Mia said...

wow looks so good! Your photos seem to improve everyday! beautiful.

La Bella Cooks said...

Pancakes are perfect for any time of the day. I love the fact that you made your own chorizo...very impressive!

Haley said...

kerbey lane pancakes are my favorite!! yum!

Haley said...

kerbey lane pancakes are my favorite!! yum!

Christine Medifast said...

Must say,

I do not know how you do it. I can personally still enjoy all those gluten filled options without any problem, but have been switching my family over to a lot of gluten free foods. Breakfast is a meal I cook at of course breakfast, but also lunch and dinner! Favorite meals of the day that I cook quite often.

Going to have to try switching things up and throwing in a few gluten free breakfast choices. Who knows maybe one day soon we'll be 100% gluten free.

Christine M.