Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gluten Free Pizza!!!!!! Yes, it's edible :).



Are you a thin or thick crust pizza fan?

I like both, but it really depends on my mood :P. I do have to say that I usually go for a medium crust. You know what else? Even though I find myself craving pizza quite a bit, I've never wanted to try that crust-free pizza we're seeing commercials for again; it's naked to me, missing something very essential. I love the crust, it's the best kind of bread... and I looove bread :). But the crust does have to taste good, not dry or bland, and especially not yeasty! Yuck.

I was not very impressed with this gluten-free pizza crust recipe that I tried awhile ago, it was too yeasty and tough. But this here gluten-free pizza recipe (recipe @ the end of the post) will yield a yummy, non-yeasty medium sized pizza with a medium/thick crust. No more crumbly, funky tasting gluten-free pizza dough! :)

Guess what else is cool about this recipe?!

You can make it with baking powder and baking soda if you don't want to wait for the yeast to work its magic!

I know there are days when I'm on the verge of passing out but still really want a slice of pizza! You know what I'm talking about! And let's face it... there isn't a gluten-free pizza delivery service! So what do we do? Use 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda instead of yeast. And I'm not just saying that, I promise! I've made foccacia bread following this same recipe, I just replaced the yeast with baking powder/soda :). The leavener combo worked and I didn't pass out from hunger; everything was ready in under half an hour! Yes, Martha, that is a very good thing indeed.



Just a sidenote: I always feel a little weird saying something like, "Oh yeah! I made this and it's gooood". I'm not a professional chef, I'm just a cook who is still learning. I screw up all the time and my kitchen looks like a disaster zone when I'm baking, seriously (I'll post pics soon!).

I just wanted to mention this because I think it's nice to be candid. That said, I did enjoy the pizza. I'm happy with it, but I'm not obsessed with my 'skillz' (which are honestly lacking) or my cooking/baking, K? In fact, usually I like eating what other people make (like mom/grandma/hubby... when he cooks ;) more than I like munching on my own food :P. I've never felt judged by anyone, nor have I ever received mean comments... But I have wanted to say this on Flour Arrangements for awhile now, and I thought it'd be fun to randomly squeeze it into today's post :).


This gluten-free pizza recipe is my entry to the What Can I Eat That's Gluten Free blog carnival hosted by Linda at The Gluten-Free Homemaker :)! There just aren't enough gluten-free blogging events out there, if you all know of any others, let me know!

Gluten Free Pizza!

Yes, it's actually edible! Disappointed with the last recipe ...

See Gluten Free Pizza! on Key Ingredient.


17 comments:

Linda said...

I like a medium thick crust. Yours looks great.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I'm a thin crust lover :-)

Sophie, your honesty is so refreshing!! Thank you for being candid and real - you rock.

Amy Green said...

I so enjoy your honestly about your food and the state of your kitchen. Sometimes my hubby breaks into a sweat and frantically starts washing dishes. He can't stand my kitchen chaos.

I am so very hard on myself and my own cooking. I will make 6 versions of something before I say it's good. But if your food is good, then it's good. I am not a pizza or bread eater because I have gone so long without it that I don't miss it anymore. That being said, your pics made me think that a pizza night might be in order. :)

Sharon said...

I love the this crust. It looks almost like focaccia!

♥Rosie♥ said...

I'm a thin crust lover :0) I do like your honesty and my kitchen looks when I'm baking like a bomb has been dropped on it lol. Your pizza looks great!!

Ann said...

This looks totally drool worthy! I love the pictures. and yes, I love thin crust :P

grace said...

you know, i'm weird. i like a thin crust under my toppings, but i like a huge, thick, preferably cheese-filled crust along the outside. nicely done, sophie, and in addition to everything else, your toppings are stellar!

Y said...

It looks yummy! I'm a thin crust fanatic myself :)

Hilary said...

I hear you, Sophie. I judge my own creations extremely harshly as well; I'm always apologizing for this or that perceived deficiency in the finished product and when people tell me I'm being hard on myself, I find it hard to believe. But I think we DO give ourselves a rough ride.

And I'm sorry, crustless pizza? I have got to look this up. What is the point of that?? I think yours looks very tasty.

Amy said...

Wow, this looks great. I have made several of your recipes and they have turned out great. Don't underestimate yourself. I enjoy reading your blog with every entry! Have you done an Adopt a Blogger? It is usually hosted by See at Book of Yum, but she is about to have a baby Yum. This month it is being hosted by Heather at Celiac Family (http://celiacfamily.com/adopt-a-gf-blogger-july/). Thanks for the great recipes!

Brian said...

Your pizza looks great! I'll have to try your version. Thanks

Nic said...

Of course it's edible - it's fabulous!!

La Bella Cooks said...

I can't take my eyes off of that delicious looking crust! Now i am totally craving this! Yum.

Monica H said...

It looks edible to me!

I like pizza crust both ways. I like it thinand crusty on the bottom, but I like a thick and chewy edge- yum!

maybelles mom said...

First, Sophie, love your candidness. And second, I will be keeping this next time I have gluten free friends.

Leslie said...

I love love love crust ..I used to be a THICK crust person..but since my metabolism has currently decided to shut itself off..I have learned to settle for thin crust!!!

Tracy said...

A thin crust for me, preferably...but I'll take pizza pretty much any way...And your is fantastic..loaded with veggies--just what I love! Thanks for this, Sophie :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))