Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gluten-Free Strawberry Pie



I'm willing to take the heat of summer... only because it means that sweet and juicy berries are finally in season!

This time of year I even love grocery shopping a little bit more. The blast of cold air that hits me as I walk through the sliding doors is definitely a welcome relief on a hot day. Still, it doesn't quite compare to being greeted by... a beautiful assortment of colorful berries, particularly strawberries!

Spotting a sale sign right by those berries really makes my day-ay! Lately it seems strawberries are on sale everywhere and I love it! Just call me Strawberry Shortcake. (Who had a Strawberry Shortcake doll that actually smelled like strawberries and isn't afraid to admit it?! Me! I did!)



No, this isn't a post about strawberry shortcakes (but I think I'm craving one, now that I mention it :). This is a post about PIE. This one's a little different from the last pie recipe I posted, though. This gluten-free pie crust is completely nut-free! Though I loooove almond meal, I decided it was time to make a basic go-to pie crust recipe, no nuts allowed! But I've been talking about strawberries in this post. Don't worry, haven't forgotten about them. This is a gluten-free strawberry pie recipe, after all :).

So what are you going to do with all those deliciously plumb red berries you bought this weekend? No, you're not sticking 'em in the freezer! You'll be making this strawberry pie! The crust doesn't even taste gluten-free. I promise! It tastes like a cross between a cookie and... an actual pie crust (because it is! ;). Ok, so I know that isn't a true lattice top on my pie... but it still tastes good and that's what counts the most, right ;)?!

Enjoy!

Gluten-Free Strawberry Pie and Pie Crust

Yummy tart strawberry pie :)

See Gluten-Free Strawberry Pie and Pie Crust on Key Ingredient.

20 comments:

maybelles mom said...

It really does look like a cookie shortbread. ANd, I too love the strawberries, though our season is over.

Lauren said...

I have a friend who asked me about a gluten-free pie crust recipe. Yours looks like it should fit the bill, Sophie! Love the faux lattice. I didn't even notice it wasn't "real" until you pointed it out! :D

Snooky doodle said...

what a nice pie! I love strawberries too they smell so good!

Emily said...

I can't belive how BEAUTIFUL your strawberry pie is! It's gorgeous! I'm dying to bake one. I must try the almond meal too.

Emily said...

I can't belive how BEAUTIFUL your strawberry pie is! It's gorgeous! I'm dying to bake one. I must try the almond meal too.

Y said...

What a great looking pie. Now you have me craving pie AND shortcakes!

Tracy said...

BEAUTIFUL pie, Sophie...it looks so good! Berries...pie...summer...it's all so good! Happy Day ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

I love your addition of orange peel and orange juice in a crust. That would really pump up the flavor. Oh and strawberries are so perfect in the summer. I can smell them now. I must make this one soon. Thank you!

grace said...

i have to say that given the choice between strawberry shortcake and strawberry pie, i’m inclined to pick shortcake. however, your pie is mighty tempting and my opinions about food are always subject to change. :)

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

i am loving seeing all the wonderful strawberry recipes popping up lately... great photo :)

Mama Mia said...

what a photogenic pie! That looks amazing~

Monica H said...

This is a very pretty pie. I just bought 2 luscious pound of beautiful berries. And they are NOT going in the freezer- no way!

Deborah said...

My MIL just brought us a strawberry pie last week - this makes me want more!

La Bella Cooks said...

that is a beautiful pie. I love indulging in strawberries this time of year when they are at their peak. Luckily I can eat them all year here where I live but the January versions still do not compare to the ones now. My daughter has a strawberry shortcake doll that I got a couple years ago and she STILL smells! Love it!

Ann said...

Yum! Your crust sounds better than regular pie crust since I don't really like regular pie crust...but I would love a cookie crust:) It's definitely a good-lookin' pie!

Tiffany said...

Your pie looks amazing--so perfect! It's making me hungry now :)

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Wow, that is one PURDY pie! I just so happen to have a bunch of strawberries in the fridge, fresh from the local U-Pick...but I packed away my pie pan. :(

Linda said...

I think that's the best looking gluten free pie I've seen!

Haley said...

yum!!

i featured you on my blog!!

Miss | A said...

thanks for visiting my blog yesterday! I love love love yours too!
XO