Saturday, August 29, 2009

Gluten Free Creamy Tomatillo and Garbanzo Bean Pasta


I have a suggestion to make. If you haven't seen Julie and Julia, go see it... but make sure to pack something tasty to snack on, especially if you're gonna watch it around lunch time! I just snuck in a little cornbread square, but that was not enough to hold me over. Seeing all that delicious food on the big screen made my tummy rumble even more. It was too much, kinda like grocery shopping on an empty stomach! Very cute flick, though. On a random note, I just found out her old home, that once housed the kitchen in the movie, is 800 feet from my apartment! How cool is that!

After watching the movie, we ran home from the theatre in the rain and scarfed down our lunches. I felt an anxious tingle in my fingers the entire time I was eating, though. Not just because they were pruney from the rainwater; I was itching to cook!

I have to confess, every time I see someone cooking, whether it's on the Food Network, Julie & Julia, or in real life... I just wanna jump right in and join 'em!

Do you get that tingle in your fingers too? :)

Ahh... feels so good to cook, especially on a rainy day. Here's a warm, comforting meal. It's affordable and flavorful; healthy but not quite vegetarian. I tried, really. But oh! Leave it to the chicken broth and worcestershire sauce to spoil everything ;).

Make sure the worcestershire sauce is gluten-free!

... on a sidenote, we're cooking up somethin' special this weekend. Or I should say we've been cooking up. Can you guess what it is? One of my favvvvorite meals :). Nope, not roast beef!



Creamy Tomatillo and Garbanzo Bean Pasta

Not quite vegetarian, but pretty close! Very tasty too, says ...

See Creamy Tomatillo and Garbanzo Bean Pasta on Key Ingredient.


23 comments:

Y said...

Yummy looking pasta! The movie hasn't made it to our shores yet, but I'm looking forward to watching it when it does.

Leslie said...

I have yet to see the movie, but I am sooo with you. Everytime I see cooking, I want to run into the kitchen and whip something up

Deborah said...

I am the same way - whenever I see someone cooking, it makes me want to cook! This looks wonderful!

Monica H said...

I haven't seen it yet. I want to but I'm not in any hurry. I'm sure once I see it, I'll kick myself for not watching it sooner.

Brisket? corned beef?

Happy Birthday!!!

Lauren said...

I haven't seen the movie yet either, but I definitely get inspired when I see others cooking =D. This pasta sounds lovely!

grace said...

if ever there was a movie that necessitated snacking, it's julie & julia!
great dish, sophie--garbanzo beans are so underused. they're good for more than just hummus!

Emily said...

The pasta looks great!

I still haven't seen the movie yet. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to pack something to snack on.

You should tour her old apartment! Would they let you?

Sophie said...

Thank you, lovely ladies for dropping by :)!

Monica: You're right, it is corned beef! It didn't turn red because I didn't add the preservatives (nitrites), but it tasted just like corned beef after a few days in the brine, I was shocked! :P

Emily: Ya know, it makes me so sad but they renovated her house :(! I think the entire kitchen was transfered to the smithsonian, but the only thing that looks the same is the outside. I'll post pics in the next post :D.

Lia said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it!

http://gfmiscellany.blogspot.com/

Barbara GF said...

Your pasta dish looks divine, Sophie. And I loved "Julie and Julia," too. That was a fun flick filled with beautiful details and references.

cherryflute said...

we tried this monday night with fresh tomatillos from the farmer's market. It was excellent! I also used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream...works just as well!

Sophie said...

Cherryflute: So happy to hear you enjoyed it, thanks for letting me know :). Greek yogurt sounds like a yummy alternative, it is such a delicious ingredient. I always have some in my fridge!

Sophie said...

Lia: Thanks for dropping by! I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but it wouldn't let me :/.

Haley said...

if i send you dessert will you send me savory food??? you can start with this...yum!

i saw the movie this weekend and loved it! so funny! made me want to run home and cook something!

Christie @ Quit Your Diet said...

A friend of mine pointed me to your g-free blog and I just wanted to say hi. I love to cook and bake and this new gluten free thing is proving to be a challenge. I look forward to learning more from you!

CinnamonQuill said...

Beans and pasta is such a great combination! Beautiful photos, too.

Amy Green (Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free) said...

I was just digging through your blog for your pizza crust recipe...I am planning on giving it a whirl soon. You mentioned wanting to know about GF blog carnivals - I have one now - Slightly Indulgent Mondays: fabulous food made a little bit healthier. All are welcome to paricipate...hope you'll join in the fun!

Tracy said...

Sooo delicious...I want to make this one now--hubby would love it! Happy weekend, Sophie :o) ((HUGS))

Mary Ann said...

I think I might be the only person who hasn't seen that movie yet.
Good to know I should take a snack!

I am so glad you tried the chickpea fritters and feel free to link to me when you post about them. I am excited to see your version!
This pasta dish looks great. I really need to try some gluten free dishes!

Hilary said...

I just got back from an advance screening of the movie! (It doesn't come out until next week here in the UK.) Totally agree about filling up beforehand, I managed to grab a handful of chips and nuts on my way in and was glad I did.

Now I am dying for some boeuf bourguignon!

La Bella Cooks said...

I am a closet garbanzo addict so this is right up my alley! I loved the movie...it was so much fun that I hated to see it end.

Palidor said...

The pasta looks delicious!

Marysol said...

Sophie, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to, because I love Meryl Streep, and I love good food.

And I also get the same tingle in my fingers, but I always thought it was carpal tunnel.

I'm craving that garbanzo pasta!