Friday, September 4, 2009

Vegan and Gluten-Free Cheap Eats


If you need a yummy recipe for something sweet or savory, Mare's blog, Meet Me in the Kitchen, is the place to go. Blogs like Mare's make you wish there was an instant 'feed me!' option located under 'file' right beneath 'print'. You know what I mean. I think foodie heaven is something like that.

Anyway, I knew I had to make these Chickpea Fritters when I spotted them on her blog. YUM! The fritters are so appealing because they're made from affordable and healthy ingredients. A can of chickpeas for just $0.89 and a pinch of some spices that are already in your pantry, and you've got a delicious vegan snack or light meal!

Now, I happen to be like many of you food bloggers out there; I'm always 'tweaking around in the kitchen. I don't even remember the last time I actually followed a recipe to the letter. So I present my modified version... oh yeah, and it's gluten-free too :).

Original recipe here

For the chickpea fritters:
1 15 ounce can chickpeas, strained
pinch of saffron threads (like 1/8 tsp)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
pinch of all-spice
tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
pinch of cumin
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped & sauteed in olive oil

GF flour blend that coats the fritters:
1 TBSP white rice flour
1 TBSP corn meal
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp basil
1/8 tsp paprika

For the yogurt sauce:
about 4 tablespoons greek yogurt
3/4 tsp honey
pinch of salt
about 2 tsp finely chopped fresh cilantro

Start off by sauteing the garlic in a little bit of olive oil (and strain those chickpeas!).
Once it's slightly golden, you'll throw it in the food processor with the ingredients from the first list.
Next, you'll combine all the ingredients for the flour mix in a small bowl.
Start forming the chickpeas into flat patties, mine were a bit thick, and cover them with flour on each side.
Lightly fry them in some olive oil until they're crispy on both sides.
For the yogurt sauce, just mix everything together in a bowl.
See how fast that was!

Now onto our second recipe of the day... QUINOA! I just love saying that, it's such a fun word. Sounds like it should be the name of my future pet (my last guinea pig's name was Mochi, I like naming my pets after food these days). Quinoa is a super-food, pretty much, a grain that deserves more attention. But I must warn you, first-time quinoa eaters, the secret to make a delicious quinoa dish is this: rinse, rinse and rinse again (because you want to get rid of those bitter saponins)!


If there's one food you certainly should not judge by its appearance, it's quinoa. Poor not-so-pretty quinoa. Let me tell you, beneath the little celery leaf, the crushed almonds and finely grated carrots, you'll find a funky-colored but very scrumptious grain that's packed full of protein and other good stuff.

Sweet Potato Veggie Quinoa
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp savory
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced into 3/4 in. long by 1/4 inch wide pieces
(more salt and rosemary for parsnips, and 1 TBSP honey)
about 3/4 cup frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup baked and mashed sweet potato pureed with 1/4 cup apple juice

Start by arranging the cut parsnips on a cookie sheet.
Lightly drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and finish them off with a light drizzle of honey and a few shakes of rosemary.
Raise oven temp to about 400 and bake until they start to brown (20 minutes in an oven that's not preheated). You can put them in before the oven is preheated, just make sure they bake til they're just a little brown on the corners.

For the quinoa:
Rinse the quinoa very well.
Next, add the olive oil to a medium stainless steel pot with the garlic, begin to lightly saute then add the quinoa and continue sauteing and stirring for about 2-3 minutes; add the rosemary and savory.
Now add the water and salt, cover and cook until only about 1/2 cup water is left.
Puree baked sweet potato with apple juice until smooth.
When 1/2 cup of the water is left, add the pureed sweet potato and apple juice.
Continue stirring while cooking quinoa on high with lid removed until all the liquid evaporates.
When the quinoa is no longer watery, mix frozen peas and carrots and the baked parsnips and cook on low for 5 more minutes, until veggies are thawed.

Have an awesome Labor Day Weekend. Need a smile? Click here to check out a cute picture from one of my favorite blogs!

23 comments:

Monica H said...

I think your quinoa looks delicious!

OMG, a "feed me" button is pure genius! Who needs smell-o-vision?

Christie @ Quit Your Diet said...

Yum, both recipes look awesome!

I can not seem to ever rinse quinoa enough, I guess. I have tried a million ways and it still tastes bitter to me :(

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Mmm, mmm fabulous eats!! I'm especially loving the sweet potato-quinoa combination.

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

i've never had a chicken fritter, but this pic is making me consider going all out and trying 'em :)

Lauren said...

Yum! I love chickpeas, and those look amazing =D. Also love sweet potatoes and quinoa, thanks for the idea!

Emily said...

You know what? I've gotta try quinoa again. I've only had it once and didn't care for it. I bet I didn't rinse it enough.

These fritters look delicious. I like your gluten free flour blend. I saw white rice flour the other day and almost bought some.

grace said...

i always appreciate when chickpeas are used in something other than hummus, and fritters are the way to go! the quinoa dish looks stellar, too--lots of good stuff!

Tracy said...

Both of these are great recipes, Sophie--thank you. I love chickpeas, so always looking for new ways to make them. :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Amy Green (Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free) said...

I love chickpeas - they're a fabulous food. I usually used canned chickpeas but I actually cooked them and they were incredible.

I am going to have to try your chickpea fritters. They look incredible - especially with saffron.

Barbara GF said...

Quinoa reigns, Sophie. It is one of my favorite things to eat. And I love your chickpea fritters - wish I had some to take to work for lunch today!

La Bella Cooks said...

I love Mare's blog as well but yours is quite delicious too! You have such gorgeous photos and yummy healthy foods. Both recipes are fantastic and I will be trying the quinoa recipe soon.

Natalie Que said...

We love Quinoa at our house, and my husband is a sucker for sweet potatoes so I really ought to give this a try!

Thanks for your comment on the French Toast forever ago! Glad to know there is someone out there as addicted to French Toast as I am!

Natalie Que said...

PS -I like the name of your blog, very clever!

Marysol said...

I can only imagine having access to a 'Feed Me' button. I'd never leave the house, at least not without the aid of the fire dept.


And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention I'm a big Quinoa fan. And yours would be quite a treat. But those fritters look just as delicious.
They sound similar to Falafel, which is also a favorite.
No, I don't need a feed-me button.

amy said...

yum. thanks for your lovely blog.

Mary Ann said...

You are so sweet!
I love what you did with the chickpea fritters- they look perfect and thank goodness they are so adaptable and fast.
THe quinoa looks amazing too. I haven't restocked my supply since we moved and I am really missing it. I must try this quinoa recipe. delish.

amy said...

i am so happy i found your blog! i love it. I added you to my sidebar.
:) cheers, amy

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Both of those look great, but I must make the chickpea fritters first. I'm seriously addicted to chickpeas and I just stocked up on them--how fortuitous!

Thanks so much,
Shirley

~~louise~~ said...

I Too LOVE Mare's blog. I've been dying to try the chickpea fritters too. You have certainly inspired me to do so. Everything sounds so enticing. Thanks for sharing, Sophie:)

Rachel said...

I am going to try and emulate your mad baking skills for Book of Yum's Adopt-A-GF-Blogger event. Consider yourself adopted this month. First up are those awesome crackers you posted about last week.

maybelle's mom said...

Looks delicious--I love your quinoa too. Sweet potatoes and quinoa are a great idea.

Peabody said...

The chickpea fritters look awesome.

Belinda Y. Hughes said...

Happy New Year! I came for the Chickpea Patties and stayed for the Sweet Potato Quinoa. Today seems to have been my day to collect quinoa recipes. Thanks for feeding my sweet potato tooth, too.