Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Soft and Chunky Gluten-Free Pretzels


It's been so long
, I tell myself... so then I wait a little longer to post...

oh, sooo behind on my blog reading--not such a good blogging buddy after all
... another reason why I hesitate to post.

But heck, life is too short and eventually I'm gonna run outta time and excuses! So I might as well post today. Want to know what one of my favorite quotes is? Don't put off for tomorrow what can be done today, ironic (well, it goes something like that... :).

I hope you all have been well. I'm mostly crafting these days, but when a craving kicks in... like a craving for pretzels, I find myself covered in flour, in the kitchen once again, like old times. Ah, feels so good.

So here's a recipe for soft pretzels. Soft because that's how I like 'em. The crunchy salty ones make me thirsty! I'm a carb lover because I enjoy sinking my teeth into the doughy yumminess of baked goods -- so, of course, I'm going to make a soft pretzel.

And it's not just soft, it's also gluten-free. And I know what you're thinking... it looks gluten-free :/. It does have that awkward wanna-be pretzel look, you're right... but trust me, the minute you sink your teeth into these gluten free pretzels, right after you've brushed them with butter and sprinkled them with you favorite kind of salt (and there are so many different kinds of salt), you'll find that nothing is missing (except for the gluten, but that's a good thing here :).

The flavor is there, even the aroma... oooh yeah, you know what I mean -- the tasty aroma that hits your nose when warm pretzels are near. And the texture? Like I said, these are soft, soft and chunky. These gluten-free pretzels are the most scrumptious right outta the oven, but you can also enjoy them the next day warm by popping them in your little toaster oven or the micro, just for about 15 seconds (be sure to store in an air-tight container). Yum. Enjoy!

P.S. Ever wonder why the pretzel-pros dip they're pretzel dough into a solution of either lye and water or baking soda and water? Because it helps give the pretzels they're pretty brown color! I didn't know that... but these pretzels aren't meant to be dipped. Instead, gently brush them with the baking soda/water solution (as mentioned in the recipe card below). Happy baking! :)

Stay tuned for next time, when I'll post my gluten-free angel food cupcakes recipe!

Soft and Chunky Gluten Free Pretzels

This recipe came about after studying… this recipe:

http://allrecipes ...

See Soft and Chunky Gluten Free Pretzels on Key Ingredient.

18 comments:

Sharon said...

You make the most amazing gluten free creations! I bet most would never even imagine you could have fluffy soft pretzels sans gluten.

Lauren said...

Lovely! Pretzels are something I would love to make =D.

grace said...

beautiful pretzels, sophie! their shape is just perfect, and thanks for that tip about browning! now, give me a pot of brown mustard and i'm all set. :)

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

i know exactly what u mean about the smell of a freshly baked pretzle... yummmmmmm!

La Bella Cooks said...

Hi Sophie! So glad you posted! I know how you feel, so post when you want as it shouldn't feel like a job to do so. Mind sending me a couple pretzels? These look scrumptious.

Monica H said...

If I hadn't just made pretzels a few days ago I'd be jumping through the screen.

We've missed you!

Leslie said...

Girl..I am so with you on the whole bad blogger thing!
I have been SOOOOOOOO busy, I just dont have time anymore. But I do love your pretzels!

Cate O'Malley said...

Love soft pretzels, particularly dipped in honey mustard or melted cheese - these look great!

Alyce said...

HI there, glad I found you! I am a gluten intolerant girl too! I'll be back for more ideas!

Deborah said...

I totally know how it goes - life gets in the way! These pretzels look delicious, though. I've always wanted to make homemade pretzels.

Marysol said...

Sophie, congratulations on the new bundle of coos and gurgles! I'm so happy for you!

Your quote is also one of my favorites...I laugh every time I hear it.
So it's no secret I've succumbed to the fact that I will forever be playing catch-up.

In any case, Thumper and I love pretzels, and your creation looks so light and delicious!

Have a great weekend buddy. It's good to see you back!

Y said...

MMMmm soft pretzels.. :) I love that quote. Wish I listened to such advice more often!

Emily said...

Oh man! Pretzels are my favorite. These look great!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Those are some awesome looking pretzels! I might have to give these a try one day!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmm these look delicious, I've never tried pretzels before though!! I really want to try them to see what theyre like! Glad youre starting to get slightly back into blogging again hehe, ive missed your posts.

Alexa said...

Nice to hear from you Sophie! The pretzels look great. I love soft pretzels and I have yet to make them since giving up gluten. I tried bagels so it shouldn't be such a stretch. Now, I am looking forward to your angel food cupcakes. ;-)

Barbara GF said...

Mmmmm ... warm pretzels with butter and salt?!! And gluten-free? I wish I could sink my teeth into one right now.

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

I tried them, and they were wonderful! The aroma, the flavor...yum. The slightly different look didn't matter. I am definitely making these again. Everyone should get a chance to enjoy these, so I'm spreading the word about them via Adopt a GF Blogger event.