Monday, February 8, 2010

Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake (cupcakes)


Sometimes the simplest things will hit the spot. Don't get me wrong, the world would surely be a sad place without rich desserts or salty snacks... but sometimes (just sometimes ;) all I want is a bite of a simple and classic sweet treat. Angel food cake will usually hit the spot during these times, but who wants to wait an hour before enjoying a slice? That's why cupcakes were invented... (well, probably not, but it makes sense!)

I can't even remember the last time I had a piece of angel food cake before going gluten-free. It seems there are plenty of cookie options out there, even cake mixes, but I've yet to find one for gluten-free angel food cake (if you've found one that you love, let me know! :).

Sure, angel food cake usually doesn't come with frosting, but that's the beauty of making things at home... you can make them however you want! So feel free to experiment with these little angel food cake cupcakes. Frost them or enjoy them commando; cupcakes with out the frosting = commando cupcakes :D.

I like to use this frosting recipe, it reminds me of cream cheese frosting, minus the cream cheese ;).

Chocolate fans will like this frosting recipe.

Stay tuned... I whipped up some gluten-free artisan bread over the weekend and it's might tasty! I'll share the recipe next time.

Gluten-Free Angel Food Cupcakes

You can eat more than one of these at a ...

See Gluten-Free Angel Food Cupcakes on Key Ingredient.

13 comments:

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

These look awesome! I think I'd top mine with whipped cream. Mmm...I do miss angel food cake. I'll definitely keep this recipe on hand for when I get the urge (who am I kidding, the urge to eat is always there, just the motivation to bake isn't always there) :) Looks great!

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to try these!!

Little Bishops said...

I don't usually get to stay home but I had a sick kid today and this post showed up in my google reader. Because I was home and realized I had all the ingredients I tried this out. These were GREAT! My husband tolerated them and my two oldest weren't fans but I loved them and my two youngest liked them quite a bit. thanks for posting this! I'm up to two desserts now that I like and can eat.

La Bella Cooks said...

I adore angel food cake but I have never thought to have them in cupcake form. I think it is genius, Sophie! My only problem is which delicious frosting recipe to choose.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmm these look lovely, angel food cake is such a light tasty treat!

Michele said...

Only you can make Angel Food Cake look so beautiful!

Just an FYI - I unsubscribed because I was getting this twice, through my reader and in my email. I'm still reading!!!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

you're right, sometimes its the simplest treat thats the most satisfying :)

grace said...

wow, sophie! i haven't even made regular angel food cake before, and here you are making a gluten-free version. as usual, you can color me impressed!

Jane said...

Wow! I cannot wait to try these. This recipe sounds delicious.

Leslie said...

I dont think I have ever tasted homemade angel food cake. MMMMM

Jenn/CinnamonQuill said...

I don't think I've ever had angel food cake with frosting...but I am very curious!

Alexa said...

These muffins look so fluffy and light. They'll be great when strawberry season is back. Now I can't wait!

Ann said...

These look fantastic! I'm on a huge cupcake/cake binge right now:)