Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gluten-Free Cranberry Oatmeal Artisan Bread


Gluten-free artisan bread sounds like an oxymoron. GF bread is usually on the gross, flat-tasting and dry side. Just thinking about gf bread gone bad makes me thirsty.

Sometimes recipes come about by accident, or desperation. I wouldn't say this recipe necessarily resulted from an accident, but I did have a pretty big craving for artisan bread and I usually don't think clearly when big cravings hit. Thinking about which flours to use and how they'd combine to create an artisan-textured bread (is that a term? :) was quite the task.

I decided to stop thinking and jump right in.

So here it is. Tastes like artisan bread and even smells like it. I'm still surprised. I didn't expect it to work, but somehow it did!

I'm finally submitting something to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays! Check out Amy's blog for some might tasty and healthy gluten-free recipe submissions.


How is this only slightly indulgent, you ask? Well, I tried to keep the fiber levels up and the sugar levels reasonable; it's also very lean and butter-free. But then again, I did top my bread slice off with some butter and honey... ;)

Next post... gluten-free fudge brownies with 3 different types of chocolate (made 'em for the hubby's breakfast on Valentine's). Stay tuned for the recipe :)!

Gluten-Free Cranberry Oatmeal Artisan Bread

Smells and tastes heavenly. Great with butter and honey. Heat ...

See Gluten-Free Cranberry Oatmeal Artisan Bread on Key Ingredient.

16 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

I am loving the cranberries and find myself addicted to them all year around, not only at the holidays. Thankfully we have the dried ones, right? It makes for wonderful baking such as this.

Deborah said...

You make gluten free look so good!

grace said...

the little jewels of cranberries in this are quite lovely. congrats on recreating an artisan bread to suit your needs! i think some cinnamon butter would do quite nicely on a toasted slab. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the gluten free everything posts. And GF artisan bread? You've got me hooked! :)

Marysol said...

Good Gluten-Free God, I almost put my nose out of joint taking a closer look at this magnificient bread!

And Sophie, how can something this wonderful not be loaded with butter?
Are you a good witch? <:^)

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Wow, that is phenomenal! If you entered it into a bread contest, it would win by looks alone. Beautiful, and how neat that it tastes wonderful, too. Win-win in the gf bread "wars." ;-)

Shirley

Lauren said...

So gorgeous! I would like a slice, please =D.

Amy @ Simply Sugar and Gluten Free said...

So glad you linked up!! It looks healthier to me...and GF is healthier for so many people so that counts. And this nutrient packed with oats, cranberries. Just my opinion - butter is a good thing. :)

I would love to try this - it's getting bookmarked.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Ooh I love making breads, I always feel its more challenging, yours looks amazing!!

SnoWhite said...

that looks wonderful! I'll be passing this one on to my MIL!

Jenn/CinnamonQuill said...

This looks wonderful; the crust looks like 'real' crust! I bet this bread smells incredible while cooking. Nice work!

Marysol said...

Don't mind me; I just came back for a second look. Yum.

Sophie, I was just thinking about you, and hoping the little bun in the oven is being kind to you.

Julie said...

Sounds delicious!

Emily said...

How did I miss this post? This bread looks amazing! Cranberries and oatmeal are one of my favorite things in the world!

Monica H said...

This looks so hearty. I would say a little butter and honey only made it better!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free said...

Hi Sophie! I made this today - actually I made it three times. :) I tried it both dairy-free and with evaporated milk. They're both totally delightful. I made a cinnamon raisin version...posting on Wednesday on my blog. :)

Joe and I both love this. Thanks for a great recipe!