Thursday, March 4, 2010

Gluten-Free Triple Chocolate Fudgey Brownies


Nearly 5 years ago, a boy was bold enough to sincerely pour out his heart in a Facebook message to a girl he had never spoken to before.

It was such a pleasantly shocking message, she would have to re-read, print, and then save it (just to have tangible proof of its existence when pinching was no longer enough to convince her she wasn't dreaming).

It was also the sort of message that would make Jane Austen's characters jealous, particularly Elizabeth Bennett. The girl was convinced that the boy had somehow taken a lesson from Mr. Darcy. (After all, what kind of boy refers to himself as a potential "suitor" these days?)

So the girl was smitten. It was love at first read. She decided that all the silly poems she'd written in college about love really amounted to nothing more than artery-clogging fluff, like cookies with preservatives instead of the homemade kind. What she found in this message was something much more delicious and satisfying, but it was only the beginning. This was just the appetizer; dessert would be even tastier.

This boy knew how to use the secret ingredients. He worked his magic. The message lured her in. They spoke for hours on end... upon first meeting at 2 am, in the cold hallway of a college dorm whose architect designed prison cells. Symbolic? Yes. She thought so. The boy was there to set her free...with chocolate, of course.

A few days later, this same boy walked up and down the candy aisle of a Whole Foods in a nameless city to find a chocolate bar for the girl. And this was not just any chocolate bar.

It was the chocolate bar that would initiate the start of something good. But doesn't all chocolate? You ask. (It gets even better...)

Shortly after the purchase, he would cleverly tell the girl, "I bought a chocolate bar for us to share the next time we see each other." Smooth. Just like velvety chocolate syrup melting in a warm glass of whole milk.

Ah, a next time... She said to herself. Yes, she was excited about that.

And nearly every time they met thereafter, he would offer her another chocolate bar and she would save the wrappers.

She still has them, to this day...

She still has the boy!

The girl baked him a batch of gluten-free triple chocolate brownies for breakfast on Valentine's Day 2010 because, years later, they share so much more than bars of chocolate. Let's just say that their diet might be gluten-free, but they aren't missing anything :).

How do we know?

She lets him lick the bowl. He washes the dishes and doesn't complain.


Triple Chocolate Fudgey Brownies

gluten-free…

See Triple Chocolate Fudgey Brownies on Key Ingredient.

29 comments:

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

what a great story <3

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

LOVE IT!! :) How sappy, romantic & perfect. How can't it be...a boy, a girl & chocolate. Now if you'll excuse me...I need some of those brownies. :)

La Bella Cooks said...

Would this be the same boy and girl who are close to welcoming their new and gorgeous sweet baby?
You could seriously write a book using this lovely story, complete with the wooing with chocolate. I am smitten with all of it.
Well done, my friend!

Sharon said...

Aw, what a cute post! I'm glad the boy persevered and is now being rewarded with these brownies ;)

Unknown said...

How sweet! I love it. These look yummy.

Marysol said...

Aww, I dare say the love story is even sweeter than those decadent brownies!

Sophie, I will never look at a chocolate bar (or even Whole Foods) the same way again!


...and they both lived chocolatey ever after...

grace said...

how romantic, sophie. i feel all warm inside, and for once, it's not due to my stomach rumbling for some chocolate goodness. :)

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free said...

What a beautiful story! And beautiful brownies, too. Can't wait to bake up a batch of these.

Y said...

Those brownies are almost as sweet as that story! Ahhhh wonderful :)

Deborah said...

What a sweet story! And now I have a huge brownie craving...

Lot-O-Choc said...

Wow the photo of your brownies looks so good, they look so chewy and moist yumm!!

Jennifer Nunes said...

What a perfectly sweet and romantic story!

Can't wait to try out the brownies!

Ann @ Healthy Tasty Chow said...

Oh my goodness, cute story, gotta love a man who buys you chocolate - and the brownies look divine - gooey and rich - yummy!

Monica H said...

What a cute story and a great breakfast :-)

Maria said...

I can't wait to try these!

Lauren said...

Aww... that was just beautiful. These brownies look like a perfect celebration =D.

Sylvia said...

Oh these looks amazing. I'm three months pregnant and craving anything gluten free with chocolate! My husband will be making these ASAP!
-Sylvia
Personal Talking Scales

Nadya said...

I want one!! A sweet guy & a great GF brownie!!
(I'm working on being wooed - wish me luck!)

Nadya said...

(& I'd use coconut oil, & prob 1/3 C coconut flour!!
Canola is one of those I stay far, far away from - most is GM, & those 'healthy' unsaturated fats turn rancid in our bodies!)

Alexa said...

What a beautifully written post Sophie! And the recipe looks fudgey enough for the special "boy" in my life too. Thanks for sharing!

Emily said...

My, my. These look amazing! I want one. And I love your story!

Queen B. said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I just found your blog through Amy over at iamaceliac.blogspot.com and I'm impressed! Love your writing, and these brownies? Drool.

Anonymous said...

Great story! These brownies look divine!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Love this post!! Is this your story? Swoon! If so- you keep that boy!!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story :). My mom has celiac, so I'll pass this recipe along.

Jenniffer said...

Oh wow! I need a glass of milk just to look at the pictures! BTW, I LOVE your blog name... so cute!!

-Jenniffer
http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

Optomum said...

I just discovered your blog - the key exciting phrase being "Hawaiian Bread"(biscuits)!!
In this Triple Chocolate Fudgey brownie recipe - I see squares (computer gibberish) for the amounts of canola oil and white rice flour. I don't know if I haven't signed-up correctly or ...what?
Anybody else have this problem?

Sophie said...

Hi Optomom :),

Thanks for stopping by! Here's the recipe:
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sweet condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 abuelita chocolate disc
1 square (2 small rectangels) white chocolate bakers
2 dark chocolate ghiradelli squares

bake at 350 for 26 to 28 minutes