Thursday, March 25, 2010

Gluten-Free Spiced Date Biscotti with Maple Glaze


Despite the fact that their strange appearance reminds me of the creepy crawly creatures that nest in dark places, and crawl across our floors or walls at the most unexpected times, dates are pretty delicious. Fruity, sticky, chewy, and naturally sweet, dates are pretty much nature's healthy candy.

But, of course, not all of us are date fans.

Some of us prefer chocolate in our desserts, some of us choose cranberries or raisins over other dried fruits, while others just like to keep it simple and nutty. How do you like your biscotti?


I think we can all agree that biscotti is most tasty when its got a good crunch. If it crumbles upon meeting the hot chocolate or dark coffee in our mugs, forget about it! That biscotti is a no-go. I'm more of a tea drinker, but even I hate scraping up the get-away crumbs clinging to the bottom of an otherwise empty cup.

So, to avoid that dilemma, let's choose a biscotti recipe that won't fail us! The one in the recipe card below is reliable, promise. It's based on someone else's scrumptious version, minus the butter and plus a few other ingredients (like the creepy looking dates :).

This gluten-free biscotti recipe will definitely yield dip-worthy treats that won't crumble under pressure! If you don't believe me, give it a whirl!

**Oops! Almost forgot :). Amy over at I am Celiac was sweet enough to feature me on her blog earlier this week! Go check out her blog and say hello!

Spiced Date Biscotti with Maple Glaze

gluten-free

You can easily adapt this recipe; swap the dates ...

See Spiced Date Biscotti with Maple Glaze on Key Ingredient.

24 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

Nothing like a good biscotti to dunk in your tea or coffee. I prefer my great-grandmother's recipe that just has anise for a flavoring. Simple and so very delicious. Yours looks fantastic, especially with the glaze.

grace said...

great recipe, sophie! biscotti doesn't usually appeal to me, but yours looks pretty tasty. i think the glaze is what's drawing me in--would it be inappropriate to just eat that with a spoon? :)

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

i love biscotti! i can imagine how good the maple flavour is!

amy and ann said...

gosh...this looks so yummy! can;'t wait to try it. XO.amy

Stephanie said...

These look really good. I am excited to try them with the dates :)

Y said...

Looks wonderful, creepy dates notwithstanding :)

Ann @ Healthy Tasty Chow said...

Yum! That maple glaze is definitely the cherry on top. When I give my son anything with a glaze or frosting, he gnaws it off and gives me the rest:)

Leslie said...

"creepy looking dates" you are too funny!!!!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmm ive never tried biscotti, these sound so good, especially with the maple glaze :)

Emily said...

I love dates. I agree with you about them look creepy-crawly, though. They're so weird looking. But they're so sweet and have sort of a neutral flavor to them that I like.

I love this biscotti.

Kathy said...

I actually like dates in baked goods.
I used to love those archway cookies
with the date filling.

I am looking forward to trying this
recipe out. Thanks!

nazarina said...

I have never made biscotti, I do not know why!
I happen to love dates so it is only prudent that I try this crunchy delight with that maple glaze. Now will I get it as good as yours, that is my question!

amy and ann said...

http://momsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/i-am-thrilled-to-kick.html your interview is on the dallas morning news mom blog today too. just to let you know.
:) amy

Emily said...

PS I love your new design! I need help with my blog. Serious help.

Y said...

I usually save my dates for puddings, but this looks really wonderful. I love a thick piece of biscotti for dunking into my tea :)

Valen said...

These look great! My dad would love this!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Hey there! I love biscotti (especially when its dipped in chocolate)! How are you doing/feeling? How much longer?

Deborah said...

These look so good - especially the glaze across the tops!

Barbara GF said...

These biscotti look divine, Sophie. I like mine with dried fruit and nuts, especially a ginger-macadamia combo.

tasteofbeirut said...

These biscottis look so so fabulous!

Marysol said...

Fortunately, I've never been afraid of (most) creepy crawlies.

Unfortunately, I recently made biscotti and forgot all about the dates I had stowed away, for just such an emergency.
And now, I see them here, interspersed in your delightful cookies, and I feel the urge to sob, uncontrollably.

Sweet Pea 48 said...

This looks simply delicious and scrumptious!

Andrea said...

They look so yummy! Beautiful.

Silver Strands said...

YUM! So glad I found you :)
oxoxox
Denalee