Friday, May 30, 2008

Warm Summer Cake and Peach Blackberry Pie


I promised that I'd post recipes for a yummy cake and pie...so here they are :). The first recipe is for a Lowfat Warm Summer Cake. I was in the mood for a fresh and summery cake last weekend, so I opened up the refrigerator to see if anything in there would cry out to me, in fear of going to waste and getting thrown in the trash. I noticed that we still had quite a bit of orange juice left over, and it was already a week old, so I thought I should definitely include it in the cake. I've learned that a great way to make a cake moist and rich without using butter is by adding some kind of flavorful juice. We also had a huge lemon that was lonely sitting next to a bunch of bananas and a handful of kiwis, so I had to add him to the recipe as well. The only fatty ingredient in this light cake is the one egg I used. There isn't even a teaspoon of oil in this cake! Now, if only I could have that kind of success with every baked good! It seems it's easier to make some desserts healthier than others. (You'll notice, after eating one piece of the cake, my husband and I decided it wasn't enough, so we just picked up a fork and helped ourselves to a little more :)

I'd like to note that the pecans on the cake are Texan grown, we picked them ourselves!

Warm Lowfat Summer Cake

A fresh and zesty dairy-free cake that's moist and ...

See Warm Lowfat Summer Cake on Key Ingredient.




The pie recipe I've posted is also packed with fruit, it contains blackberries and peaches. This is a recipe I found on Key Ingredient. The recipe calls for fresh ginger, but I didn't have any, so I added ginger powder instead :). Thankfully, it still tasted yummy, but I think the juicy peaches and ripe blackberries had something to do with that :). I was really pleased with this pie recipe. This is another dessert that's perfect for summer; the ginger really adds flavor, making this a pie that's far from plain. Plus, peaches are on sale right now! It's hard to say no to a dessert that's tasty, affordable to bake, and easy to make. (Just throw the peaches in there with the blackberries. They're such pretty fruits, they don't need to be organized in a fancy way!)

TGIF! Now that I've posted this recipe, it's time to relax, at least for the night. Since we only have a few more months left here in Austin, Jose and I plan on visiting a few cool foodie spots around town before we leave. Of course I'll take pictures and feature them on the blog :). This weekend we're going to a very Austiny spot that resembles an old candy store/soda shop, I can't wait! Hopefully the next time I post, I won't come back with cavity #2; I can barely handle the one sweet tooth I already have :)!

P.S. I'd like to say thanks to all of your for leaving so many kind comments on my first Daring Bakers cake :). There were tons of beautiful entries this month! Can't wait to see what they have in store for us next!


Peach Blackberry Pie

The fruits give this pie a natural sweet flavor. This ...

See Peach Blackberry Pie on Key Ingredient.





8 comments:

grace said...

i've said it before, and i'll say it again (and i'm sure i'll say it at least 128 more times)--you do nice work! i'm loving the idea of a really tasty, lowfat and fruity cake. and that pie--it's just gorgeous. you're pretty much responsible for putting my saliva glands on overdrive. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm Love the summer cake. I love using fruit juices in cakes as well. Another idea, is to add canned or jarred fruit (the kind without additional syrup), which adds a lot of natural sweetness to the cake to cut back on sugar content too.

Anonymous said...

That pie recipe sounds soo good. Summer just hit here in Cleveland and farmers' markets are bringing in great produce. I'll definitely come back to your recipe as soon as Ohio peaches are in season.

Susan and I subscribe to your feed and look forward to you exploring MA. Keep posting!

Jescel said...

hmnn.. that looks good. didn't think it would be possible to do a cake minus all those fattening ingredients and still make it delicious...

Emily said...

You're moving from Austin?

The pie looks wonderful...and so does the cake. That's a good tip about using juice in the cake. I have some buttermilk leftover, so I'm working on a cake recipe in my head.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blog.

My mouth is watering here. I'd happily go for both, but the pie is exceptional!

Prudy said...

Your pretty cake is low fat too-that's quite a culinary feat! I love the flavor combo of berries and peaches. I liked your cavity comment. Thanks goodness for Crest!

Sophie said...

Grace,
Thanks for the flattering comment, I'd have to say the same thing about your blog :).

Cooking Panda,
Thank you for the tip! Good idea :). If you have any more, send them over!

Daniel,
Thanks for reading my blog :D! Peaches taste great in pies! I'll definitely keep the blog updated with my Boston/Cambridge discoveries as soon as I get there :).

Jescel,
Thanks! You know, I used to think it was impossible to have 'lowfat/healthy' and cake in the same sentence...until I discovered the wonders of applesauce! :)
...still need to figure out how to make cookies healthy! :)

Emiline,
You're so creative with your recipes, can't wait to see what kind of buttermilk-inspired cake you come up with! :)

gkbloodsugar,
Your blog is a beauty! Thanks for stopping by :).

Prudy,
Couldn't agree with you more about the toothpaste comment :)...though it seems my sweet tooth can't be tamed by toothpaste! It rebelled by turning into a cavity :P!