Sunday, June 1, 2008

Apricot Chicken Tagine...and candy!



Before we even found out that we were going to be leaving Austin, Jose and I still tried to savor every bit of this city's quirkiness. But now we're trying to take it all in without being consumed by the unbearable heat! This coming week, temperatures will literally reach 100 degrees; this past weekend wasn't much cooler. So, with trickles of sweat dripping down our faces, we happily made our way to the Big Top Candy Shop. The promise of candy and too many sugary desserts to count was enough to get me out of the house, despite the blaring afternoon sun. This place was magical; with treats like old fashioned bubblegum 'cigarettes' and chocolate covered bacon, any fan of old fashioned candy and unique treats would find it hard to leave the Big Top Candy Shop.


Even though it's nearly impossible to leave room for dinner after visiting a place full of enough sweets to make an Umpa Lumpa jealous, Jose and I still managed to have an appetite for our Roast Apricot Chicken Tagine with Cilantro Couscous. Full of savory goodness from long hours of simmering, tagines are hearty North African stews named after the beautiful clay pots they're typically cooked in. Our 'quick' tagine included a few dried fruits and a variety of mouthwatering spices; we used chicken as our protein and served the stew over cilantro couscous. Cooking this meal was just as enjoyable as eating it, since the spices gave off a rich aroma that made us grateful we didn't have to wait very long to take the first bite, thanks to this quick tagine recipe from About.com.


Next week, we plan on exploring Mexico with our taste buds. Chile relleno sounds good to me; plus, I promised the hubby I'd make it for him (after making that promise, he then said he'd renew his vows to me, even though we've only been married for 5 months. It's one of his favorite dishes :)! I know the perfect person to ask for this recipe...my grandma!

Hope you all have a lovely and COOL week ahead :)!

Apricot Chicken Tagine with Cilantro Couscous

A flavorful and aromatic dish that's healthy; recipe from ...

See Apricot Chicken Tagine with Cilantro Couscous on Key Ingredient.




3 comments:

grace said...

me oh my, what a fantastic combination of ingredients--sweet, savory, crunchy, and chewy all at once! i'll be looking forward to your mexican dishes--the spicier the better! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! I haven't seen a candy shop the likes of this one since I was a child. Looks like such fun! Thanks for sharing!

Prudy said...

The chicken looks fabulous. I'm in the mood for something North African tonight-so thanks for the inspiration. What a fun candy shop!