Sunday, June 8, 2008

Chile Relleno and Berry Picking!


There's nothing quite like waking up early on a Saturday morning to pick your own berries! Yesterday, Jose and I took a trip to Chickamaw Farm, where we picked enough berries to bake the tastiest blueberry pie we've ever eaten. Jose did most of the picking while I played the roll* of the photographer, but I did manage to sneak in a few blueberries and get a taste. Well, I shouldn't say 'sneak'; Bill, the farmer, was nice enough to let us try them.

*(It's Monday morning. I wrote this post Sunday evening. I just realized I typed roll instead of role. I read the entry before publishing it; obviously, I didn't catch the 'mistake' because my brain is now wired in such a way that I subconsciously use food terms in place of other nouns. This is what happens when your hobbies and job revolve around food. No complaints here, though :).)

Guess what the best part about Chickamaw farm is? Well, not only does it have a cool name (it means 'sacred land' in Choctaw, according to Bill) but the owners of the farm only grow organic fruits...and catfish! Catfish?! Yep! Bill and his family have a pond where they've established a mini food chain for their catfish; these fish only eat the finest foods - other fish, not the nasty fake stuff - so they get pretty large...think 11 lbs! HUGE! Sometimes, Bill and his family take a swim with the fish; imagine how fun it would be to ride a monster catfish :D! I got that image in my head as soon as he mentioned the gigantic sizes of these happy and healthy creatures. Jose asked if he could come back and fish some time, Bill said yes! We're not sure if we'll be able to do it before we leave Austin in two months, but since we plan on settling down here in the future, we'll definitely go back to fish and pick more berries!



Ok, so the berries were also huge. As soon as I popped one of these tasty berries into my mouth, I was shocked! I took a bite of half a blueberry and then a double-take at the remaining blueberry...is this really a blueberry?, I thought. It was juicy, full of more flavor than any store-bought blueberry, and it was rich - rich in blueberry goodness. It was a blueberry. In fact, it was more Blueberry than any other blueberry I'd ever tasted (note the capital 'B'). If you're ever in Texas, be sure to check out Chickamaw Farm, especially if you're craving fresh blueberries!



After a fun filled day of picking our own blueberries, grocery shopping at our favorite market, and dining at a tasty cafe here in town, we still managed to muster-up enough energy to spend a good portion of our weekend cooking. We prepare about 4 meals on the weekends because we don't have much time to cook during the week; Jose and I enjoy coming home to a nourishing dinner after a long day at work, so we really don't mind all the cooking. One of the meals we put together was my grandma's Chile Relleno. Thankfully, all our hard work paid off...and I mean, it was hard work! To make these, my grandma toasts the chilies (or peppers, I should say) over a direct flame (so that the skin wrinkles and comes off easily); she uses her gas stove to do this. Our apartment is completely electric, so I had to fry the peppers. This was a little dangerous and painful...but fun! I don't have the proper 'frying materials' so I got a little fried, too...oh, but the meal was well-worth it. It certainly wasn't perfect; the peppers could've been fried a little longer, but it was a fun first try. Initially, I was really concerned about the egg white sticking to the peppers, but, thankfully, it did! We also ate this tasty meal with some homemade rice, beans, and nopales!



From the blueberries we devoured, to the tasty peppers we inhaled, this was a very yummy weekend. Hope your week ahead is just as delicious and fun.


Chile Relleno

My grandmother's recipe for a delicious, classic Mexican dish ...

See Chile Relleno on Key Ingredient.


13 comments:

Anaylli said...

Oh wow!I've always wanted to make these! Your (and your grandma's :)) chiles rellonos looks fantastic. I only wish I didn't check this post so early in the morning...my oatmeal looks so unsatisfying right about now! lol
Can't wait to try this!! :o)

Couture CupCakery said...

Yummmy! I found you on Bakespace.com and loved looking at your blog. I just started one and I love being inspired by others. Chili Rellenos... never made one but they taste wonderful. Maybe I will take a stab. :)

Vera said...

Sophie, these look delicious! I adore Mexican cuisine. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

grace said...

i could eat chile rellenos every day for the rest of my life and be perfectly content. yours look amazing.

Elle said...

Oooh, delicious looking post, all around. I should take the kids berry picking--I'll bet they'd love it! Or maybe not, come to think of it, hehe.

Emily said...

Those look amazing!! I love Mexican food.

Blueberry picking must have been fun. I wonder if there's a farm that I can pick some at.

So now the question: are you going to post that amazing blueberry pie recipe?! I think I might make one for dad.

Anonymous said...

Nice simple recipe.

I love berry picking, as well. I haven't found the time to go this year, but I'm looking forward to it later this summer...

Mandy said...

wow,that sounds like my kind of weekend! Berries picking, grocery shopping and eating. :)

J.J. said...

Hi! I found your blog off Celine's and I just wanted to say I really love it! Your writing style is much more fun to read than almost any other food blog I've found. Kudos!

cakewardrobe said...

Your site is sooo soo cute! Love the color coordination. Maybe you should have went into fashion.. Though, food definitely suits you! Too fresh!

Prudy said...

Congrats on your blog award. You deserve it! The rellenos look amazing-I'm printing them out right now!

Evelin said...

Berry picking...I can't imagine the joy you'd feel if you picked them in the forest!:) Now THAT's true berry picking!

I can't help but smile widely, coming out ouf the forest, tired of walking around, jars full of bilberries (similar to blueberries) and my mouth and tongue blue from eating so much of them!

Unknown said...

Hi! Like your posts. Here's an idea to get those skins off the peppers. Put them under the broiler, and keep an eye on them. Turn them until all the skin is black and blistered, put in a paper bag and seal up for about 15 minutes. Rinse under running water, slipping the skins off. So easy! Thanks for the recipes.