Sunday, June 29, 2008

Daring Bakers June: Sherry Yard's Danish Braid with Apple Filling


I can't believe I'm actually saying this...but I think I might just have to take a break from baking! (It will likely be a short-lived 24 hour break, if that :D). Between the Cupcake Hero recipe and this month's Daring Baker's Challenge, I feel exhausted...well, that's not everything. To be completely honest, I just spent the last couple of hours making lentil soup, vegetable beef soup, spaghetti and meatballs, and baked chicken! So bear with me, this post is going to be a bit on the shorter side compared to my more lengthy entries.


I almost didn't do the challenge this month. After looking at the long lists of steps, I was more than just a little intimidated. But then I got that adrenaline rush; when it took over, I suddenly forgot about my baking insecurities and saw this as an opportunity to further expand my skillz. Yes, skillz...I do have one confession to make, though. I cheated...a little. I didn't make this dairy-free. Because I know that pastries heavily rely on butter, I didn't want to use the non-dairy replacement and end up regretting it later. Thankfully, my husband loved this apple filled danish pastry, so it's all his :D...he deserves it, Jose's been my DB kitchen helper. He sits there and recites the instructions to me. For some reason, things like this always seem a little less scary when there's a kitchen helper around.



I decided to just make one pastry braid. I didn't have any vanilla or cardamom, so I used vanilla extract and apple pie spice. I decided to go ahead and use the apple filling that came with the recipe, but I tweaked it a bit, adding apple sauce instead of butter. What else? That's pretty much it, I stuck to the recipe as much as possible and was thrilled with the beautiful results. (Oh wait! I did sprinkle a bit more of that vanilla sugar on top, instead of making a fancy glaze :). Yes, this is by far the most daring baked good I've ever made; I dedicated a good amount of time to the pastry, and made sure to throw in enough love so that it would come out just right.



I really like the idea of the braid, it adds character to this special pastry. I'm not sure that I'm going to make it again any time soon, but I'll definitely put this recipe to use when friends and family come to visit. This smells heavenly when it's baking! Imagine visiting a friend or family member and waking up to the smell of a fresh baked danish pastry made just for you :). (I'm using this as a bribe to all my friendly readers out there who are considering paying me a visit when I move to Boston...is it working?! ;)

"Danish Braid" from Sherry Yard's The Secret of Baking

A labor-intensive pastry filled with apple and flavored with apple ...

See "Danish Braid" from Sherry Yard's The Secret of Baking on Key Ingredient.


32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful braid!

giz said...

I'm glad you did the challenge. Your braid is gorgeous. And I so get the wanting to do it all but just running out of time ALL the time.

Leslie said...

Beautiful..just beautiful

Anonymous said...

I'd say you could definitely use that for bribe material. Great, flaky braid!

Enjoy Boston. I loved every one of my 15 years living there and even though having NYC as my new playground is fun, I still miss Boston.

Nora B. said...

Your braid looks awesome! All the strands were symmetrical, great job.

Natalie Jane said...

Don't be gone too long!

Anonymous said...

your braid looks so pretty, great job!

Anonymous said...

Looks gorgeous Sophie! I love the first cheeky shot that looks like a few bites have been taken out - ooh I'm hungry now!

Prudy said...

I know how you feel. Sometimes you just need a little break. Your braid looks lovely. Tomorrow, kick back and put your feet up.

Sharon said...

You definitely deserve a break! Your braid is wonderful. I'm quite intimidated by the Daring Baker's recipes so I'm quite impressed with your creation!

grace said...

labor-intensive, yes, but it's bound to be totally worth it! it's times like these i wish i wasn't so darn lazy. :)

maybelles mom said...

beautiful.

Amy said...

Beautiful! I'm glad that you did try to participate.

I agree - I didn't go totally dairy free on this either. For my needs I just replaced the milk with soy creamer and just kept the butter in - too scary to replace on such a complicated ercipe.

Anonymous said...

Look at the flaky goodness!! I went with a nectarine/strawberry filling, but wish I had done one apple & one nectarine/strawberry... maybe next time!

Susie Homemaker said...

oh yum that looks so good! the braid looks just perfect, too!
-Susan of http://doughmesstic.blogspot.com

silverrock said...

wow! your braid looks beautiful. I love the way you photographed it, so professional!

Anonymous said...

This looks beautiful! And a break from baking? I always say I will...but...

Honeyed Hashette said...

SOPHIE!
This looks wonderful! You have mad skillz! I am totally impressed and would like a slice. Please. :)

Vera said...

Sophie, your braid looks great! It's generously filled, exactly like I love it. I also feel like I need a break from baking-cooking. I'm just afraid it's not gonna happen...

Y said...

I found the smell while it was baking, intoxicating too. Here's to acquiring new skillz! :)

Elle said...

It's gorgeous! I always feel safer with a husband helper in the kitchen, too, hehe.

Anonymous said...

lovely braid sophie, and great photos. and i bet it was a bribe that will be requested time and again!

Caramella Mou said...

Wow Sophie, your braid looks ever so wonderful and flakey and yummy!

Well done,

Caramella

Anonymous said...

i know, i was exhausted from this one too. it was so worth it though. your braid turned out beautiful! :)

Nisa-mom said...

Dear Sophie.. Thank you for sharing this recipes.. I would like to try this one, well..actualy I have no idea how they make the bread look good like this before . Thanks for step by step picture that you put :-)

Deeba PAB said...

Great great braid...I'm so happy to see you enjoyed the challenge & the end result too. My mouth is watering just looking at this...Even I thought it was a fab challenge!!

Deborah said...

Your braid is gorgeous! It was a lot of work, but I completely enjoyed it!

Lucy..♥ said...

Beautifully done, just awesome!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful braid! This looks great. I'm glad you had someone to eat it.

Lunch Buckets said...

Gorgeous! But then you always do such beautiful work :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Your braid looks perfect. I love the appple filling. Great photos, makes me want to do it all over again!

Dolores said...

I'm glad you decided to take the plunge on this one; I only regret it's taken me nearly a month to find it. Great job!