Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gluten-Free Decadent Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

I'm in the middle of giving my apartment a very mini makeover and finishing up a project for work, so I'm pretty busy these days! I did want to share this recipe with you all, though. It was inspired by the Devil's Food Cake recipe in 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes by Carol Fenster. I didn't have most of the ingredients needed to make her cake, so I made these cupcakes. I also made them 'darker' and created a somewhat lowfat frosting that doesn't use a whole stick o' butter!

If you're wondering why I didn't add more frosting, I actually don't care for frosting much...it takes away from my favorite part, the cakey center!


I think chocolate and salt go hand in hand, so I sprinkled a little sea salt on top of these delicious dark chocolate cupcakes that remind me of the ones Hostess makes! Except, these are gluten-free :P...and preservative-free, and lower in sugar...

The pics were taken with my new camera; I'm still getting familiar with Lumi (short for Lumix, the brand ha!), so the pics came out a little rough! Bear with me :).

Alright, gotta go make dinner and finish up the million and one other things on my to-do list for the weekend!

Decadent Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

For the chocolate lover in most of us, especially for ...

See Decadent Dark Chocolate Cupcakes on Key Ingredient.

25 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Good luck with the apartment "face-lift"!! :-)

Scrumptious-looking cupcakes!!

Unknown said...

Oooh...Dark chocolate! These look scrumptiously delicious!

La Bella Cooks said...

You can't beat a deliciously decadent cupcake. Good luck getting all your to-do list finished!

Katrina said...

Great looking cupcakes! My husband hates frosting and would probably like these! Good job.

Paula said...

My kids would love these ... with or without frosting. I just tried Bob's Red Mill brownie mix. It's not too bad! It required a much longer baking time. I think next time I'll use a bigger pan and have a thinner brownie vs. using an 8 x 8 pan. Still, I bet your cupcakes were loads better than the brownies! YUM!

grace said...

when it comes to chocolate, i couldn't care less about the appearance of it. that being said, i think these look great, even though i'm more of a frosting-lover than a cake-lover. :)

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Oooh -- these look fabulous!! The new camera seems to be working well for you :)

Cakespy said...

Gorgeous cupcakes.

Haley said...

oooh... very nice! These look great!

Y said...

What cute cupcakes! I have to admit, I'm a frosting junkie when it comes to chocolate cupcakes :)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Looks like you're having fun with the new camera! I also prefer cupcakes with little frosting and I think they're actually pretty! Good luck with all your projects!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful and decadent looking cupcakes!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Happy new year - and congratulations, I've picked you as one of five bloggers to whom I can pass on the A Hoy award. See either of those links for the rules if you would like to pass this along - the rules also explain why you're getting an award from someone you've never heard of! ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Sophie!

These look fantastic. Looove dark chocolate!

Vera said...

They do look decadent, Sophie! Happy New Year!

Stef said...

I'm totally with you on liking the cake more than the frosting. Good gluten-free cupcakes are hard to achieve, but it looks like you've done it!

Katie said...

Great photos! They're so cute, and I bet they taste phenomenal.

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

what's all this "not pretty" stuff about... i think they look wonderful!!!

Lauren said...

Beautiful photos (with your new camera, I presume)? Looks like we are both on a chocolate kick. That frosting DOES look good. Sort of like a rich ganache! :)

PG said...

who says it's not pretty! It looks wonderful! and delicious! Coming here aftera long time. I'm finally sending you the recipe (gluten free stollen) I promised. Sorry for being so late. :(

Cake Artisan said...

Oh wow, so many great gluten free recipes and items... thank you!

Cake Artisan said...

Oh wow, so many great gluten free recipes and items... thank you!

cherryflute said...

I made these yesterday and they are much better than other bean flour based gluten-free cupcakes! My husband said he wouldn't have known they were GF if he wasn't told! thank you!

Sophie said...

Hi Cherryfulte--thanks for trying out the recipe :)! I'm happy to hear that you and your hubby enjoyed them. Have a great weekend, and feel free to email me if you'd like any other gf recipes :).

NotYetTheDodo said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this receipe! you're doing great work for us newbies in glutenfree-land!
i made these chocolate darlings the Danish way :-) - we do not have tapioca flour, so I used corn starch. I do not have xanthan yet, so I used two tablespoons of husk, steeped for a few minuts in four teaspoons of water. I did not have milk in the house, so I used two dollops of youghurt and a splash of water. And they are just great.

Hooray for you, and hooray for these cakes! Thanks for sharing, friday I will make your artisan bread.