Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hearty Root Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup


Unlike the neighborhood squirrel that I've adopted as my own 'pet', I don't have the urge to run around outside and look for food when the wind chill makes it feel like 4 degrees. So, instead, I make soup with the few random ingredients I do have and give some of the unused veggies to Mr. Squirrel. I don't have an official name for him yet, but this is what he looks like after a few meals on my porch. :)



I hope you all are staying warm and having a peaceful and blessed 2009 so far!

On a random note, thanks so much to those nice folks who nominated me for awards, both in 2008/2009 :). I'm sorry I'm not very good at keeping up with giving them away; you all make it so tough, too many delicious blogs to choose from, seriously. Just look at how long my list of blog links is :)! I promise I will get to it before 2010 ;0)!

Hearty Root Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup

…great way to use up the leftover veggies in the ...

See Hearty Root Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup on Key Ingredient.

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for hearty meals and cute squirrels!!! :-D

Unknown said...

Ummm...That does look hearty! And that squirrel...its huge!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I want that cute little pot! Your soup looks great too!

Sharon said...

He's one well fed squirrel! Love the soup photo - it looks quite professional :)

Lunch Buckets said...

I love that little red pot!

La Bella Cooks said...

It looks like your little squirrel is very well fed! The soup looks so hearty with all of those lovely vegetables making an appearance. I could easily stay inside to enjoy a bowl of your soup.

Snooky doodle said...

Nice and warming soup! yeah!! Ha this squirrel seems he benefitted from alot of free meals :)

PG said...

that sounds so warm and cosy! You know, only a few days ago I found a GF recipe of stollen. It is in German. Give me some time and I'll send it to you, in English of course! :)

grace said...

can your squirrel play the banjo? :)
great soup--totally healthy and filling and tasty.

Mary Ann said...

This soup looks so great, especially on a freezing day like today~

Tracy said...

Hi, Sophie! That soup looks so good...that photo is incredible...I could just dip in with my spoon--LOL! Your squirrel is so sweet...I just love squirrels. Your new look here is so pretty, btw. Happy Days :o) ((HUGS))

Deborah said...

What a great, hearty winter soup!!

Emily said...

That soup looks SPECTACULAR! So filling.

Leslie said...

Yummy soup! Very hearty! Bet it will fill you right up!
Maybe you should name your new friend Nutty!

RecipeGirl said...

What a gorgeous soup... and the little squirrel is simply darling!

Anonymous said...

you love squirrels too? we were meant to get along!

Marysol said...

Am I the only one who -at first glance- thought the squirrel was part of the menu?
I may need to stay in therapy just a little longer.

Sophie, your soup is the perfect meal this time of year; btw, the tiny vessel is almost as adorable as that fluffy squirrel.

Cheeky Kitchen said...

This post is so breathtaking! What a gorgeous picture!

And...squirrels. It's such a love-hate relationship with those little critters. (Although I tend to love them more than hate. Cute little things).

THANKS for the post! (And thanks for stopping by my blog last week! So nice to have you along so that I could find you!!)

Happiest Wednesday!

Katie said...

I adore hearty winter soups - and squirrels, too. They always make me smile...my aunt used to feed peanuts to them with her bare hand! Crazy, I know :)

Michele said...

That looks like the perfect meal for a day like today. It's soooo cold! Bbbrrrr!!!

Alexa said...

This is the type of soup that warms your heart and soul on a cold day... just lovely!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

That does look like a hearty soup! Warm and chunky and full of good stuff! I bet that cute squirrel would eat a bowl if you'd let him!

Cakespy said...

Perfect cold-weather food! And what a cute new buddy. :-)

PG said...

looks so scrumptious! yum yum!