Friday, February 6, 2009

Cinnamon Celebration: Gluten and Lactose Free Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Cake



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is my contribution to Grace's Cinnamon Celebration! Oh boy, did I dirty a lot of dishes to put this monster of a cake together, and it does look like a monster. Don't worry, that isn't a bacteria colony growing on the top of the cake! In fact, it's what makes the cake yummy. The edges of the cake were scrumptious -- all gooey and sweet, pudding-like in texture. I'm not kidding!

I have to admit, I was hoping to get a much more 'tres lechesy' cake out of this invention (I saw this here recipe and was totally inspired by its tastiness), but c'est la vie. The topping makes the cake; in this case, it's what's on the outside that counts; but don't let the appearance fool you, let your taste buds be your guide!

If you're lactose intolerant but also love the unique flavors found in a tres leches cake, have no fear! This one's for you. Same goes for my fellow gluten-free folks. You can have your cake and eat it too ;)!

Here are the stages of how I made the tres leches glaze:

This is what it looks like before it begins to boil:


Boiling and thickening:


Caramel-like in color...remove from stove at this stage:


Finished!

Gluten and Lactose Free Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Cake

A cinnamon cake with a tres leches glaze and dulce ...

See Gluten and Lactose Free Cinnamon Dulce de Leche Cake on Key Ingredient.

23 comments:

Dewi said...

Sounds really scrumptious and delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks really "tastey" as my 2yr old would say :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVEEE this! This looks so good. I love dulce de leche!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Did you say dulce de leche?!?!?!??! Holy yum!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Snooky doodle said...

yummylicious! you ve outdone yourself with theis recipe :) looks great

grace said...

sophie, you've gone and paired my favorite spice with my favorite sauce-type creation. awesome cake, and thanks for sending it my way!

Anonymous said...

WOW! this is so decadently gorgeous! yummm dulce de leche! i want some!

Unknown said...

Wow! This looks great! I left you some awards!

Sara said...

This looks so beautiful, what a creative cake!

PG said...

what a wonderful cake! So many glazes on the cake make it really tempting! yum yum!
The picture looks mouth watering!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmmm wow!!! This looks delicious, the dulce de leche looks so so goood!! Ah making me really hungry!!

La Bella Cooks said...

This sounds so delicious. The first photo looks like something you would find in one of those awesome little bakeries that are hard to stay away from. It looks so pretty!

Michele said...

Sophie that looks beautiful!

Maria said...

Gorgeous cake!! I love cinnamon!!

Lucy..♥ said...

Just love anything with dulce de leche!! Cake looks yummy!

Vera said...

I've been craving the same flavors lately :) The cake looks delicious, Sophie!

Haley said...

oh... very nice! i want to eat this right now!!

cakewardrobe said...

Gorgeous home made dulce de leche!!I always do the can method which sort of makes me quiver when the can is dancing in the pot.

Emily said...

This cake looks killer. I love that cinnamon and dulce combination. I've always been unsuccessful at making dulce de leche every time I try making it. I always scorch it.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love the idea of this cake. I can practically smell it!

Marysol said...

Sophie, I'd dive into that masterpiece in a heartbeat.
There's something about dulce de leche that takes me back to my childhood, when my mom used to make it for me. And, considering the fact that I never fully matured, this treat will always bring a smile to my face.

Katie said...

Gotta love those step-by-step photos! And anything cinnamon, too!

OhioMom said...

I love this topping, your cake looks luscious!