Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gluten Free Cinnamon Apple Braid/Twists :)


I made these last week and told the lovely Linda from Cooking In Cleveland that I would post the gluten-free version of her tasty cinnamon twists over the weekend, but I was a little sick and couldn't get to it. Of course, I wanted to share them with you all the minute they came out of the oven, all warm and cinnamony!

I'm so thankful that this turned out to be yet another yeast success story! Linda calls these Apple Cinnamon Twists; hers are beautiful glaze-covered twists of honey bread filled with apples and cinnamon and they're also covered in a tasty glaze. (They look like they belong in a bakery!) I took the Daring Bakers braid approach, because I couldn't figure out how to twist the dough properly :P!


You can find Linda's recipe
here. I simply made up a gluten-free flour mix for the actual twists and also changed the filling a bit (I also added apple sauce to the dough, since gluten free baked goods tend to be dry). (I forgot to add the glaze :P, so I just sprinkled them with powdered sugar for the picture :)

Dessert Bread Flour Mix (great for a cinnamon roll or twists or braids...or... :):
This recipe makes enough for 2 medium braids.

(NOTE: I CAME BACK AND CLEARED UP THE RECIPE. HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS. :)

First put your oven on the warm setting.

Next, prepare the 'Yeast Mix'; combine the yeast with sugar and add the warm milk; set aside and this should become foamy on top after 5-7 minutes:
Yeast Mix:

1 1/2 TBSP sugar (I realize this isn't cups but TBSP! This is added to yeast/milk.)
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 cup warm milk (Heat for 30 seconds on high)


Now, combine theses DRY ingredients in a large bowl (with flours).
Gluten-free flour mix and dry ingredients:
1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour (Bob's)
1/2 cup white rice flour (Bob's)
1/3 cup potato starch (Ener-G)
1/3 cup tapioca flour (Ener-G)
1/3 cup almond meal (Bob's)
1/3 cup corn meal
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sea salt


Next combine theses 'Wet' ingredients in a different medium sized bowl. These are the wet ingredients I used (based on original).
Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup water (or milk)
about 1/8 cup butter (about 2 TBSP; partially melted for 30 secs in micro)
1/8 cup honey
1 large egg
1 1/2 extra Tbsp apple sauce (my addition to the original)


I prepared this filling in a sauce pan over the stove, on medium while gently stirring.
My appley filling:
1 large apple, cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1/3 cup apple juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
(cook this until liquid is thick and syrupy and apples are just beginning to soften; they'll finish cooking in oven.)


I then combined everything but the filling into the large flour mixing bowl, starting with the 'wet' ingredients, then added the yeast mix lastly. I kneaded everything together for about 1 minute.

I then boiled about 2 1/2 cups of water and put that boiled water in a cake pan on the last rack in the oven, make sure there is also a rack in the middle of the oven (where you'll place the twists).

Next, I divided the dough in half; rolled it out (with a rolling pin) into 2 rectangle shapes about 1/8-1/4 of an inch thick (use a few TBSP of rice flour if too sticky). I like to roll dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper.

Then I added the filling directly down the middle of the rectangle, with the short side perpendicular to me.

Lastly, I made two braids, making sure to seal off the edges (or you can make twists like in the original recipe). For instructions on how to make the braid, see here: click here for an example of how to cut it.

***Forgot to note: It's best to roll out the braids on parchment paper, and when you go to braid it, make sure there is one sheet of parchment paper under the braid so you can gently slide the braid (on the parchment) onto a cookie sheet so that it doesn't come undone.

I turned off the oven completely and put the braids in the middle of the oven rack, above the hot water, and let them rise in the oven for an hour.

Finally :), I baked the braids for about 20-25 minutes at 375, they'll be slightly golden on top when ready. Let them cool and then you can glaze them with the original recipe's glaze (divide it in half, though; I forgot to make the glaze. :)

35 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

What a beautiful treat!!

OhioMom said...

Those are lovely, like the addition of the almonds on top ... beautiful braiding :)

Elle said...

Oh my gosh, they're gorgeous! I'd love some right now. And later, too.

Michele said...

Sophie, that is gorgeous!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Are you kidding me? YOU ROCK!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmm wow this looks so good!! Im a really big mood for apples now :)

Marysol said...

Sophie, those are as big a treat for the palate as they are for the eyes! Delish!

Lauren said...

You are so talented, Sophie! That dough braid looks beautiful, and I bet the apple flavor is so comforting. Yum!

Snooky doodle said...

magnificent! these look so delicious. Nice job . you re getting so good at making gluten free desserts :)

Unknown said...

So pretty! This would be perfect for breakfast with a banana!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Bravo! I love braided products :)

NAOmni

Sara said...

This looks beautiful, I'm sure it tastes great too!

Sharon said...

Those are gorgeous! I love the almonds in the middle.

grace said...

not only is this absolutely stunning, but i'm confident i could scarf down an entire braid in one sitting. the almonds are a lovely touch. :)

Deborah said...

How gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

This is beyond words! When the pic came across my feed I thought it was a regular old gluten recipe. You are amazing!

Katie said...

You are a very talented braider! I don't think that I could make it looks so pretty.

Tracy said...

So BEAUTIFUL! And look sooo good...mmm...Please pass me a slice! ;o) Happy Day, Sophie ((HUGS))

Tiffany said...

Sophie, this looks amazing! I don't eat gluten-free usually, but I would try this one!

Maria said...

Gorgeous!! What a wonderful treat!
Thanks for your comment...yes, I have some tummy issues, not fun!! Still not sure exactly what is wrong, but I am on some meds so I hope it goes away soon!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos and flavour combinations Sophie! You're the gluten free Queen now, aren't you? :P

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Wow! That looks fantastic...I can nearly smell it. Wish I could smell it. lol Definitely on my "to try" list. :)

La Bella Cooks said...

My husband always gets a little apple braid from the bakery when we go. Yours looks particularly delicious and kudos to you for making your own!!

cindy* said...

beautiful! not even missing the glaze over here...i think powdered sugar makes it look quaint...in the very best way.

Haley said...

looks great! you are so talented!

Vera said...

Sophie, what a yummy treat!

Emily said...

Oooh, I like the new look of your blog.

The apple twist looks delicious. I especially like the precise placement of the almonds. :)

RecipeGirl said...

It always amazes me that gluten free stuff can be so good! Your blog is looking really cute :)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Well done Sophie! Everytime your gluten free baking goods are looking better and better!

Bohemian Chef said...

These Look so fantastic!!!

Noor said...

Hey how are you, long time no talk. I have been MIA, we moved across country but I have been trying to get back in the hang of blogging and updating. How are you? Love the blog still and all the yummy recipes. I need something healthy I have been baking way to much.

Anonymous said...

hmm... sounds yummy.
i guess your recipe is really based on the original recipe? what i mean is that your list of flours, meals, gum and applesauce are a replacement for the original recipe's flour. ? does your yeast mix replace the yeast and honey in the original? and still adding the eggs salt, butter, water, milk?
sorry i was a bit confused and hoped you could clarify. i'll check back to see. thanks.

Sophie said...

Hi There,

No problem :), thanks for all of your questions! I realize this recipe is quite confusing. Well, basically what I did is divide the recipe in half, create a new yeast and filling mix (I wanted mine with a little less butter because I'm a little sensitive to dairy), and I also made a gluten free flour mix...so all in all, this would be the changed recipe/ instructions:

----------------------------------

First put your oven on the warm setting.

Next, prepare the yeast mix; combine the yeast with sugar and add the warm milk; set aside and this should become foamy on top after 5-7 minutes:

Yeast Mix:

1 1/2 TBSP sugar (I realize this isn't cups but TBSP! This is added to yeast/milk)
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 cup warm milk (Heat for 30 seconds on high)

_______
Now, combine theses DRY ingredients in a large bowl (with flours).

Gluten-free flour mix and dry ingredients:
1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour (Bob's)
1/2 cup white rice flour (Bob's)
1/3 cup potato starch (Ener-G)
1/3 cup tapioca flour (Ener-G)
1/3 cup almond meal (Bob's)
1/3 cup corn meal
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
---------------------------------------

Next combine theses 'wet' ingredients in a different medium sized bowl. These are the wet ingredients I used (based on original):

1/4 cup water (or milk)
about 1/8 cup butter (about 2 TBSP; partially melted for 30 secs in micro)
1/8 cup honey
1 large egg
1 1/2 extra Tbsp apple sauce (my addition to the original)
--------------------------------------

I prepared the filling in a sauce pan over the stove, on medium-low while gently stirring.
My appley filling:
1 large apple, cut into 1/4 in. pieces
1/3 cup apple juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
(cook until liquid is syrupy and apples are just beginning to soften; they'll finish cooking in oven)


I then combined everything but the filling into the large flour mixing bowl, starting with the 'wet' ingredients, then added the yeast mix lastly. I kneaded everything together for about 1 minute.

I then boiled about 2 1/2 cups of water and put that boiled water in a cake pan on the last rack in the oven, make sure there is also a rack in the middle of the oven (where you'll place the twists).

Next, I divided the dough in half; rolled it out into 2 rectangle shapes about 1/8-1/4 of an inch then.

Then I added the filling directly down the middle of the rectangle, with the short side perpendicular to me.

Lastly, I made two braids, making sure to seal off the edges (or you can make twists like in the original recipe).

I turned off the oven completely and put the braids in the middle of the oven rack, above the hot water, and let them rise in the oven for an hour.

Finally :), I baked the braids for about 20-25 minutes at 375, they'll be slightly golden on top when ready. Let them cool and then you can glaze them with the original recipe's glaze (divide it in half, though; I forgot to make the glaze. :)

Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by!

Sophie said...

***Forgot to note: It's best to roll out the braids on parchment paper, and when you go to braid it, make sure there is one sheet of parchment paper under the braid so you can gently slide the braid (on the parchment) onto a cookie sheet so that it doesn't come undone.

Erin Phraner said...

Yum! This looks delicious!!