Sunday, March 1, 2009

Creamy Cannellini Spinach Soup and Biscuits


Soup and biscuits: what we've been eating a ton of in order to survive our first crazy-cold Northeastern winter. Well, I like stews too :). I found a recipe in Donna Klein's book, The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen, but didn't have all of the ingredients. I changed up the recipe, even added in chicken, so it's definitely not vegetarian anymore. It is beany, full of protein, and only has a tiny bit of dairy, just enough to make it creamy (I used potato flour to make it a little thicker).

If you're gonna have soup, you're gonna need a biscuit, that's the way it should always be...


More biscuits, Sophie?! Yes, I know, I am addicted to carbs... but good ones, especially those awaiting a strawberry jam-smothering. This is why I've been trying to perfect gluten-free biscuits without using a ton o' butter. Applesauce works wonders in gluten-free products, it makes them extra moist. I didn't have this much luck with applesauce when I used it for 'regular' baking (other than muffins), but gf products tend to be a little dry so that's why it works here! YESSSS it does!

You can't tell these are gluten-free. Promise!

Applesauce Biscuits
Makes 6

1/4 cup millet flour
2/3 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup corn meal
3 tbsp brown rice flour
3 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp apple sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup and 1 1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Just mix it all up, dry ingredients first, and use a big ol' ice cream scoop to measure out about 6 biscuits, then place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

How long to bake? Oh nooo... I forgot to note this! I'd say bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. (Please check on them at 10 minutes, just to make sure :P...)

Creamy Cannellini Spinach Soup

Based on Donna Klein's Greek-Style Spinach, White Bean, and ...

See Creamy Cannellini Spinach Soup on Key Ingredient.

29 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

I love soup wit beans this looks good. Nice cookies too :)

Unknown said...

Wow! That soup looks so hearty and yummy!

vb said...

Love white beans! Love soup. Perfect combo. Looks delicious!

Nic said...

That looks really hearty and oh-so-good for you!

grace said...

i often add applesauce to my baked goods, but i've never tried it in biscuits--i think it'd be great! wonderful food, sophie. :)

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

I've been playing around with biscuit recipes lately too, but still haven't found one that is really, really good. I'll be sure to give this a try though, as I haven't tried using apple sauce in much gf baking yet. Does it give them a sweetness, or are they still good to have with soup too?

Sophie said...

The apple sauce actually doesn't give them much sweetness! I use the natural unsweetened one, though, not sure if it matters :).

Not Another Omnivore said...

strawberry jam makes everything a little bit better...

NAOmni

Maria said...

The soup looks wonderful. I love the red pot!

Monica H said...

I tagged you for a meme/award on my blog!

Tracy said...

Hi, Sophie! This soup looks so good and comforting...mmm...Funnily enough, this past weekend I made a vegetable stew with beans, and paired it with sour cream biscuits! tee-hee...But I am intrigued with your applesauce biscuits, that little hint of sweetness an carbs sounds perfect--LOL! Happy Days ((HUGS))

♥Rosie♥ said...

This sure is one delicious soup a meal in a bowl - yum!

Thanks for calling by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.

Marysol said...

Oh, it's good to be in the company of another shameless carb queen.

Sophie, the soup and biscuits complement each other perfectly!

Btw, the addition of applesauce intrigued the heck out of me, so I'll save this.

Deborah said...

this sounds so comforting!

Vera said...

Delicious and so comforting, Sophie!

Bradley said...

Wow, the soup looks really good. The applesauce biscuits are a tasty sounding idea that I haven't heard of before.

Y said...

I don't think I've ever had biscuits per se.. I'm guessing they're a little like scones? That soup looks like just the thing I want when Winter comes round!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a hearty soup! But I think I'll take the biscuits instead! I'm curious about the applesauce in them!

Prudy said...

That soup looks so yummy and the biscuits! Wow-I love the way your photographed them with that pretty little tablecloth and butter and jam. I know what I'm craving for dinner now.

veggie belly said...

The soup looks delicious! im a big fan of both spinach and cannelini.

La Bella Cooks said...

Ah, Sophie, I love those little pots! How cute are those?? This soup would be a huge hit in my house as we love cannellini beans! Healthy and delicious!

Tiffany said...

The soup looks so good--I love hearty soups like that, they're so comforting :)

Selba said...

I like the biscuits :)

The Food Librarian said...

These both look delicious. I love bean soup with fresh spinach. So comforting and filling!

Emily said...

This looks like a delicious, comforting dinner, perfect for winter. More bisuits, indeed! They look yummy.

Cakespy said...

Soup and biscuits. You are speaking my language, baby! The soup looks so delicious for these end-of-winter days.

Sharon said...

I love cannellini soup. I am also addicted to carbs, so don't you worry! :)

Becca said...

Have you used rice milk or soy milk instead of regular milk in the biscuits? Would this turn out? Im dying to have some biscuits with some chili. :)
Thnx!

Sophie said...

Hi Becca,

Thanks for stopping by :). I haven't tried making these with soy or rice milk, but out of the two I recommend using soy milk because it's thicker than rice milk. Also, in the past I've tried substituting soy/rice milk in baked goods and I find that I require less of it than if I use milk...so I'd say add the soy milk slowly because 1/2 cup soy milk might be too much liquid :). Good luck! Also, if you're having these with chili, try using unsweetened apple sauce to make them more savory than sweet tasting. :)