Sunday, March 29, 2009

Gluten-Free Bread

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

If you haven't noticed, I kind of have a thing for bread :). Toast with jam is one of my favorite simple snacks. After about 4 tries (I didn't post anything about those 4 tries), I've finally come up with a bread recipe that reminds me a whole lot of honey wheat bread in flavor (see recipe at the bottom of post)! The flour concoction consists of everything from almond meal to corn meal; it might seem a bit strange to see corn meal in a bread recipe, but it totally works here! The texture on this bread is right on too, and the best part? It toasts well! Woohoo!



Gluten-Free French Bread
based on this gluteny recipe
(click photos to enlarge :)

3/4 cup Ener-G Potato Starch
3/4 cup Ener-G Tapioca Flour
1 1/2 cups white rice flour
2 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 cup water
2 TBSP Sugar
3/4 tsp sea salt
reserved 1/8 cup water (and about 1-2 TBSP reserved warm water)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tsp cornmeal
  1. Put your oven on the 'warm' setting.
  2. Proof the warm water (1 cup!) with the yeast and sugar!!! (warm up the water in the microwave for 30 secs)
  3. First combine all of the flours/starches with the xanthan gum and yeast. Mix well, then begin adding the reserved water slowly, folding it in and kneading the dough as you go.
  4. Continue kneading for 5 minutes, add a bit more warm water if it is too dry (add 1 tbsp at a time -- though you don't want it too wet, it should be firm). Now add 1 tsp of olive oil and knead for 1 minute more then set aside.
  5. Boil about 3 cups of water, and add that hot water to an oven-safe dish; put the water-filled, oven-safe dish on the last oven rack.
  6. Now shape your dough into a torpedo shape, place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and drizzle with 1 tsp more olive oil. Rub the olive oil over the surface evenly, then sprinkle the dough with the corn meal.
  7. Turn your oven off, then let the bread rise in the oven for an hour. Now set the oven to 375, leave the bread in there (even while preheating) to bake for about 20-30 minutes (I don't remember the exact time :/); it will be slightly golden on top when ready.
Now, the french bread recipe still needs a little tweaking. I mean, I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty darn good fresh outta the oven; it even smells heavenly while it's baking, just like french bread! But the next day, it was like a brick! So tough and heavy, but I guess that's the case with 'regular' french bread, too. My hubby said I should still post the recipe, because it was pretty yummy, so I'll share it with you -- just be sure you gobble it up the first day.

Also, I apologize for not noting the baking time! I sometimes get so caught-up in the baking that I forget to write down the details (even the important ones ;). I made a somewhat small loaf, so 3 folks can easily enjoy this with dinner the first day -- I recommend serving it warm, right outta the oven, pretty much. You could even make a torpedo sandwich with it (ooh how I miss those things. They are sooo good!)

Gluten-Free Maple Cider Sandwich Bread

Tastes like "honey wheat" bread but it's gluten-free.

See Gluten-Free Maple Cider Sandwich Bread on Key Ingredient.

28 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Gluten-free bread that toasts up nicely??? SCORE!!! Love it :-)

Y said...

Looks delicious, Sophie!

Unknown said...

It looks great Sophie! :)

Katie said...

Mmmm I ADORE gluten-free bread. I think it a lot better than regular bread because the texture is always so different, and there is a lot of variation depending on what flours are used. Tapioca is one of my favorites - you can bet I'll be trying this recipe soon!

Sara said...

What a great looking bread! I made bread this weekend too, wheat and dutch crunch!

Christie @ Fig & Cherry said...

Fresh bread is a true joy!

Tracy said...

Nothing like home baked bread...and gluten-free...yes! :o) Happy eating, Sophie! ((HUGS))

grace said...

it toasts up quite nicely, doesn't it! as usual, you're doing magnificent work. :)

Michele said...

You're really great! I look at the ingredients in these gluten free super healthy recipes you post and I always think what the heck is that? LOL But you ALWAYS deliver a beautiful photo and it makes me really feel like I could actually like something healthy! It looks excellent!

La Bella Cooks said...

Toast is a huge weakness for me, so that first picture is a killer! It looks so yummy. I love fresh bread baking...not much better than that!

Monica H said...

Ooh, I love all the cracks in your french bread. Look delish! I c an almost smell it...(sigh).

Unknown said...

I've been tinkering too. Nothing this good yet. I thought I'd try this one http://www.heythattastesgood.com/2009/01/best-gluten-free-bread-ever-herbed-and.html

Your maple cider bread looks like the best toast bread. I love toast!

dana aka Gluten Free In Cleveland said...

Beautiful bread! There really isn't anything better than a fresh loaf is there? Other than a fresh loaf toasted up, of course :)

jesse said...

Wooow, great job! I can't believe it's gluten free AND toasts up nice... amazing!

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Great job!!! The recipe sounds fantastic (and has me craving some toast right now!). I love that you incorporated corn meal!

Maria said...

Lovely bread! The toast looks extra tasty!

Emily said...

Did you make that?! This bread looks crazy-good!

Lauren said...

You are such a talented baker! Bread always looks so intimidating, but yours turned out beautifully, Sophie.

I'm loving your new camera! *jealous*

Anonymous said...

YUM! there's nothing yummier then freshly cooked home made bread with slabs of butter on it :) Your blog is fantastic. Thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment on mine.

Sharon said...

It's so amazing what you can make gluten free. These look SOOO delicious.

Cheeky Kitchen said...

Oh, Sophie. That bread is a work of art. I love the crackly little top. So, so, so magnificent. Just like you!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I've always been extremely interested in what gluten-free bread tastes like!

Allie said...

oh wow! just found your blog, and this bread looks amazing - I am always looking for good bread recipes! thanks...

Maggie said...

The French loaf looks so fabulous, especially for gluten-free!

cherryflute said...

um- your recipe left out the yeast measurement- I'm guessing 1 pkg?

cherryflute said...

also, the water measurement seems off. My husband is making this bread as I write and he had to add 1 1/4 cup of water(we live in dry Southern California) to make it less of pie dough consistency and more elastic and smooth. (this is on the french bread btw)

Sophie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sophie said...

I just went back to look at my recipe and realized I left out the proofing ingredients (1 cup water, 2 TBSP sugar and 2 1/2 tsp yeast)! I am really sorry about that :/. This is why it seemed dry :P.