Friday, March 13, 2009

Vegetarian Mandarin Orange Lo Mein



This Chicken Lo Mein recipe from Allrecipes.com sounded tasty and had good reviews, but I didn't like how much sugar it contained and I also wanted to make a completely vegetarian dish...so I changed it up by about 95% :).

The results? A fresh and healthy lo mein dish that's light but loaded with veggies; I served it with a sweet and spicy chili sauce that provides a good kick. The chili sauce does contain sugar, but the lo mein (made with fettuccine rice noodles) is sweetened with the juice from a small can of mandarin oranges (I used the ones from Whole Foods that are stored in pear juice). I also tossed in a few almonds and tofu for protein.

So the blog got another make-over! When I was in kindergarten, I used to change my clothes about 3-4 times a day, just because I got tired of wearing the same thing all day :P. I thought that habit died off before first grade, but it's returned! Now it applies to blog templates :).

Vegetarian Mandarin Orange Lo Mein

…made with tofu and sweetened with mandarin orange/pear juice

See Vegetarian Mandarin Orange Lo Mein on Key Ingredient.

27 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such a GORGEOUS dish!!

Sara said...

I love the look of that lo mein, especially with the addition of mandarin oranges.

Unknown said...

Your blog looks great! I still change my clothes 2-3 times a day, especially when I get new clothes. :) The Lo Mein looks super yummy!

Suparna said...

Hi sophie,
Thanks for visiting my blog :)
Ur blog is superb. The lo mein is so drool worthy ...I'd love to try some recipes from ur blog,wl keep u posted on that :)
Have a great weekend!
TC

Snooky doodle said...

Nice dish! I m imagining its taste yumm

Snooky doodle said...

Nice dish! I m imagining its taste yumm

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

That looks yummy!!
And I love the new blog look too! I'm trying to re-vamp mine, but it's just so hard to decide what to do...

Monica H said...

I thought the blog looked different. I like it!

I really like the mandarin orange slices in the first photo.

Not Another Omnivore said...

Woah! That looks amazing, and I'm glad you pointed out the new layout...I was starting to feel a bit crazy!

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

LOVE your blog and dish makeovers!

I also try and omit sugar wherever possible (although I go a bit too far when baking and it doesn't quite turn out...)

Great photo too Soph! :)

grace said...

i must confess that the chili sauce appeals to me most of all, mostly because of your delicately-placed cilantro leaf. :)

Sharon said...

I love the colors in this dish and that you reduced the sugar. Your blog makeover looks fabulous! I wish I had the motivation to do the same.

Emily said...

This looks scumptious. And such a beautiful, sexy photograph.

I like the new blog look. Every design has looked good to me though.

La Bella Cooks said...

What a beautiful dish! The colors are amazing and I can imagine it tastes so much better minus all the sugar. That is always a problem when getting take out, they seem to load up some dishes with extra sugar! Great post, Sophie.

♥Rosie♥ said...

This is food art - Sensational!!

Tracy said...

LOVE this recipe, Sophie! Since I don't eat meat this is very appealing...And your new look here is lovely--I like it a lot! Happy Day ((HUGS))

Maria said...

That looks really good!!

Deborah said...

So pretty - and it sounds so healthy!

Melissa said...

I love lo mein, and the addition of the mandarin oranges sounds fantastic!

Katie said...

Wow! That looks so tasty. Great photo, too!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful picture - and such a lovely new layout!

I really like the idea of low-sugar lo main, but I especially like the chili sauce. Chili sauce has always been one of my favorite asian condiments, but I've never made it myself (and have been too scared to eat it otherwise!). Thanks!

Also, I just noticed you tagged me in that meme! TIme to go do a little honest thinking....!

Carrie said...

GORGEOUS!! I MUST try that!! oh my.. i think i'm drooling!!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Wow, love your blog. Great recipes and pictures.

Tiffany said...

I was going to say that your blog looks different every time I visit :) I like this look though. And nice touch to the lo mein.

cherryflute said...

I made this last night and it was excellent! My picky two year old gobbled it up, too!

Sophie said...

Thanks :)! Glad your family enjoyed it!

Maris said...

I must say, I don't like mandarin oranges but I love the concept of this! Vegetarian Lo Mein is my favorite chinese food dish!