Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pozole & Honest Scrap Meme!


A few years ago, when I was living in California, I spent some time trying to write down some of my grandma's recipes while she cooked. It wasn't easy, I don't even know if I've ever seen a measuring spoon in her kitchen! But now that I've been cooking for a few years, I don't feel so intimidated at the thought of replicating one of her recipes without the exact measurements :). I gave her a call a few days ago because I was in the mood for some of her pozole, mexican comfort food at its best - think of a hearty and slightly spicy hominy/pork stew.

A long, long time ago, my grandparents actually owned and operated a Mexican restaurant in Southern California, where my grandmother made yummy food like pozole :). My aunt said that the only reason why it closed was because they received too much business and my family couldn't keep up with all of the customers!

My grandma lives clear across the country, but it's nice to know that I can give her a call, then, in no time, cook up something that reminds me of her. She gave me a quick run-through of how to make pozole; I used all of the ingredients she told me to, then added the cumin and cilantro, for extra flavor. (I didn't have the fresh tomatoes she usually adds; she also makes hers with chicken and pork chops, instead of pork loin.)

The results? Pretty tasty! I was so happy when my hubby said it tasted very traditional - I am thrilled that I finally have a 'hard copy' of her recipe; I will definitely make this again, just this way!

Pozole

My grandmother's pozole finally captured in a recipe!

See Pozole on Key Ingredient.





I almost forgot about this Meme! I was tagged by my new blogging buddy, Monica, over at Lick the Bowl Good! She has some awesome photos and delectable carbs, all things tasty and sweet!

The rules of the award:

  • Choose a minimum of 7 blogs that you find brilliant in content or design.
  • Show the 7 winners names and links on your blog, and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with "Honest Scrap." Well, there's no prize, but they can keep the nifty icon.
  • List at least 10 honest things about yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

  1. I haven't eaten brussels sprouts since I was 10 because they left me scarred :P, I didn't like their bitter flavor! Send me some good recipes, this needs to change!
  2. I have a strange collection of music on my laptop that I like to organize into random playlists. For instance, I have a Happy Mix and even a Twilight Mix (<---embarrassing :P!)
  3. I feel guilty about spending money on myself, except for when it comes to food :D.
  4. Monica made a comment about make-up on 4 and so will I :). I hate make-up; the older I get, the more I despise it and the less I wear it. I'm also done with nail polish and long nails!
  5. Things that make me happy: a fridge full of food and cant-breathe-they're-so-tight-and-warm hugs.
  6. I usually am horrible with names but I remember numbers, even though I hate math and love words!
  7. I used to love the city, now I'm a fan of the quite/peaceful solitude that comes with being far from it (somewhere green with lots of trees and fresh, crisp air). I love big city grocery stores, though!
  8. I don't like bracelets and rings, but I love earrings and necklaces - the former always get in the way when I'm cooking, like long nails and nail polish! (Shhh...don't tell! One time when I first started cooking - when I had long nails, real ones - I cut one off when I was chopping onions and couldn't find it... :P)
  9. I really enjoy snacking on baked apples and baked sweet potatoes, I eat them almost every day. My husband and I go through 5 pounds of apples every 2 weeks. It has kept the doctor away, I haven't had a cold in nearly 2 years!
  10. I adore vegetables but can only eat them cooked.
I'll pass this along to these 7 blogs:
Hungry Girl Por Vida
Shweet and Savory
Life is Still Sweet
Lemonpi
Hold the Gluten
Gluten Free in Cleveland
La Bella Cook

29 comments:

Y said...

This looks amazing and sounds so comforting! Thanks for sharing a recipe that's close to your heart :)

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

sounds delish!!!

Y said...

Heh thanks! Ten things, huh! Hmm.. this could take awhile... :P

Sara said...

I love posole, I was just thinking yesterday that I hadn't made it in awhile. Yours looks amazing.

Unknown said...

I wish I had been at an age where I could have watched my grandmother cook and write down the recipes before she passed away. That is great that you did and are able to keep the recipes n the family! :)

Unknown said...

How fun. Thank you very much! I adore Mexican food perhaps too much. I could have made way too much work for your grandparent by myself. I'm excited you figured out her recipe too.

Ten things - I need to think, and eat!

Haley said...

send me a bowl of this! it looks amazing!!

Emily said...

I didn't know that about your family! That is so cool! Maybe you should start a restaurant?
I love Mexican food. It's my favorite food now. I can't get enough.

I have never tried pozole but it sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo Soph! One of your best - so inviting.

Lol to the finger nail in the onions (ewwww)! :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Gorgeous dish!! I love family-inspired recipes :-)

♥Rosie♥ said...

A gorgeous dish and I really enjoy reading about family inspired dishes - they are the best!

Rosie x

cindy* said...

it always takes me forever to do these memes and i can never decide who to send them to...but i will try :) i also have a secret love for twilight...sh!

your posole looks fantastic and so super comforting.

Maria said...

I love apples too! I HAVE to have one every day! I had fun reading about you:)

Snooky doodle said...

looks good. Yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Our grandmothers sound very similar. :) This looks great. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

La Bella Cooks said...

The Pozole looks fantastic and I bet it tastes even better. Don't you love those family recipes that get handed down? I cherish the handwritten ones as well with the worn/torn edges. Thanks for the tag and I will try to get to it soon! Take care, Sophie!

Leslie said...

mm..soup and the fact that you tried to recreate your Grandmas is special!
I to HATE spending money on myself!
Like the new look of the blog..

Katie said...

I'm with ya on the last one - I love veggies!

Not Another Omnivore said...

I, also, hate make up :)

NAOmni

Snooky doodle said...

Hi Sophie
Regarding my Kwarezimal biscuits I think you could substitute the flour with ground almonds they ll be gluten free I bet.

grace said...

we have a lot in common, sophie, including a love for pozole! my favorite kind of shopping is grocery shopping. :)

Michele said...

I never had pozole or hominy. Does hominy taste like corn? This looks delicious!

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

This looks fantastic!! I'm sure you've made your grandma quite proud that you took the time to make (and put down on paper) her delicious recipe! Thanks for tagging me in your meme -- this will be fun :)

Deborah said...

What a great dish - it sounds wonderful!

Marysol said...

Sophie, isn't it funny how we learned to cook from women who never bothered to measure anything, and yet their results are always topnotch?

I know your grandma would beam with pride at your rendition of her Pozole. I know, I'm happy just looking at it! [G]

Marysol said...

Oops, old age is creeping in. I forgot to congratulate you on the much-deserved award!

See what your Pozole did to me?

The Food Librarian said...

I love pozole! Thanks for an old family recipe...looks delicious!

Monica H said...

5 pounds of apple every 2 weeks. Holy Moly. Will you share your recipe for baked apple :-)

I think at one point or another everyone has cut a nail off in the onions- I know I have!

Twilight Mix...ha ha ha!

The pozole looks good too. Thanks for playing!

Marysol said...

Oh Dios Mio, what a delectable-looking dish!