Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Valentine's Day Picnic: BLTs, rice salad, truffles, and cookies!


Going out to eat just isn't as fun as going on a picnic! Here are a few treats that are easy to pack and eat :). First, the chocolate truffles! It isn't Valentine's Day without 'em. I got the recipe from here, it's from Alton Brown. I also made chocolate covered pecan caramels, inspired by Ina Garten's recipe.


Second, tasty, soft and fluffy gluten free orange sugar cookies. Canola oil makes these cookies soft, but they still have an addicting buttery taste and classic sugar cookie flavor; I ate 5 in one day! Eat these for dessert on your picnic or eat them before the main course! The simple recipe includes the following ingredients:

Bake at for about 10-12 minutes at 375, or until edges brown slightly; it's best to refrigerate the dough overnight.

3.5 tbsp potato starch
3/4c white rice flour (more or less, depending on if you want them firmer/softer)
1/3c almond meal
1/3c tapioca flour
2/3c sugar
2tbsp milk
2tbsp canola oil
1.5 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp orange peel
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
sprinkle with vanilla sugar


Now, the main course. A tasty BLT made with this AMAZING gluten-free bread, nitrate free applewood smoked bacon, crispy ham (I fried it :P), colby jack cheese, and the secret sauce: Jalapeno Maple Dressing (it sounds strange, but believe me, it complements the saltiness of the bacon quite nicely; it's a mayo-based sandwich dressing with a kick!). That sandwich is served with a side of ham and rice salad...jeez, so much ham! But it tastes delicious when combined with unique ingredients and veggies, see the recipe below!

Maple and Jalapeno Dressing BLT with Ham and Rice Salad

This BLT is made with grilled ham and finished off ...

See Maple and Jalapeno Dressing BLT with Ham and Rice Salad on Key Ingredient.

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I agree - picnics are DEFINITELY more fun than eating out; especially with all those goodies!! :-)

Snooky doodle said...

how many nice recipes. the truffles look decadent

Unknown said...

Oh those cookies look so good. I've been hungry for sugar cookies. That looks like such a sweet pic-nic. I wanted to eat our lunch al fresco pic-nic style and everyone thought it was too cold. The boobs, it's like 60 degrees.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Ooh wow!! The truffles look sooo good, i love how you decorated them with hundreds and thousands, they look so pretty!

grace said...

yes, it's important to eat more than just sweets on valentine's day--i'm happy to see some savory food!

Lauren said...

I made a version of those truffles too, Sophie! Great minds. :)

Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

what an inticing picnic menu... i would love some of those truffles :)

Haley said...

aw.. i love picnics! the sandwich looks amazing... i'll definitely be trying it out, and your truffles are too cute!

Donna-FFW said...

WOW!! Everything looks terrific. I just stumbled onto your website and I LOVE it. You have tons of great stuff here!!

Tracy said...

Nothing like some sweets for Valentine's! Those truffles are right up my street! :o) And so is your Valentine picnic--great idea! Happy LOVE day belated...((HUGS))

Marysol said...

Sophie, everything looks so decadent!

And lucky you, who got to enjoy a romantic picnic with your Romeo.

I'll have to wait a few more months until I can step outside without freezing my pikinic basket off.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

What an amazing Valentine's Day picnic! LOVE the truffles - they look so pretty :) Your orange sugar cookies sound fantastic as well -- I love the flavor of orange! Hope you had a great day :)

Emily said...

I can never have too much pork in my diet! The bacon and ham sandwich sounds really good. I think I'd like the spicy jalapeno and sweet maple together. Yum.

The treats look great as well!

PG said...

Finally getting the time to xcmment. :) All the recipe look lovely!
The cookies look so good. I love orange flavoured cookies. You've done a good job there.
I have been searching for nitrate free bacon or ham or for that matter any cold cuts. Good to know that it is possible. I can only hope that they become a bit more awre here too anf offer something healthier.
That sandwich bread looks really amazing!
I was searching for a rice salad recipe I need to prepare for sunny boy's carneval festival. Have never made one before, yours looks perfect. Thank you for the recipe!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I LOVE your truffles with sprinkles! :)

La Bella Cooks said...

I would take this picnic over eating out any day! Besides, who wants to fight the restaurant crowds when you can have a romantic picnic as this. The truffles would make me swoon, hands down!

Pam said...

The cookies look delicious but the BLT and rice and ham salad are calling my name. They look incredible.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Everything looks so good here, love how that maple jalapeno sounds!

Maria said...

What a feast!! Glad you had a nice V-day!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, just lovely. I'm so in to orange flavored anything right about now. I wonder if we're secretly all channelling a desire to be in Florida, haha :)

Hope you had a great valentines day!!

Sharon said...

What a delightful picnic! I hope you had a wonderful v-day but how could you not with all this scrumptious food?!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a delicious Valentine's Day. Everything looks so good!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

I'm sooo glad to hear that the bread is working well for you. Isn't it awesome?? Your Valentine's looks like it was perfect! I'll take the sandwich, the truffles & the cookies...man, they all look so good!

Anonymous said...

It's 7:30 am and this is making me want a BLT!!! Yum yum yum....
Your blog is beautiful, congratulations!