Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gluten Free Condensed Milk & Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buns



Have you ever spotted a recipe that sounded pretty good but then decided not to make it because there were sooo many detailed steps?

I have!

I usually skip a few steps (if I do make it) or I just forget about it altogether, unless I manage to find the extra time to actually follow every step to the letter.

So why the heck did I go into so much detail with these instructions? Because I know I have a tendency of assuming people know what I'm talking about, so sometimes I'll be really vague and, in the end, I leave out a fair amount of significant information. I'm trying to be more detailed, so please don't let the lengthy instructions deter you from making these really good Gluten-Free Condensed Milk and Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buns! Sheesh! Even the title takes forever to read ;).

Ok yeah, so I've been a carbaholic lately. I admit this without shame! Proud carbaholic right here. Part of that addiction is due to wanting to perfect some of my favorite treats, with a gluten-free twist of course. Cinnamon buns/rolls were definitely a favorite of mine before switching to a gf diet, so I had to find a way to make them edible (and actually tasty) minus the AP flour.

Sometimes I feel bad for gluten-free foods, they're like the kid who always gets picked last for the tether ball/dodge ball game at recess (did anyone else play tether ball in elementary school?). These gf foods usually pale in comaprison to the star players, the wonderfully elastic and moist glutinous foods that don't contain strange ingredients like guar gum or xanwhatever.


I ate half of this one (so you could see the inside, of course ;).

THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE CASE ANYMORE! I refuse to let it happen, now's the time for gluten-free foods to take center stage without the sweaty palms.

So here they are, the tastiest gluten-free cinnamon buns you will ever eat. I promise, I promise!! They taste like a Cinnabon (oh how I loved eating those when I was little, it made going shopping for hours so worth it), but they also remind me of a bread pudding dessert. Believe me, these were not easy to make. Long before making them, off and on I'd literally daydream about a recipe that would work. This time I used buttermilk and condensed milk -- great partners in crime, both of them equally contributing to my insatiable carb cravings (aren't they the best baking ingredients?).

It only took me about 8 batches to finally come up with a recipe worth sharing! I've included step by step photos too :D!

ENJOY!

See recipe card for the recipe :)

Spread out the filling like this:


Roll it out like this
(see how well floured the outside is, so it doesn't stick):


Cut them out like this
(this is before rising):



After rising for 45 min. but before baking:


After baking and glazing:


Gluten Free Condensed Milk and Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buns

Tastes like a cross between a Cinnabon and bread pudding.

See Gluten Free Condensed Milk and Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buns on Key Ingredient.



14 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

I have sometimes skipped recipe cause they re too lengthy. I m guilty ! :) these buns look delicious. I m lad you re making all these delicious food in gluten free .

CDM said...

I just made cinnamon rolls this morning! Yours look amazing. I used a cream cheese frosting but yours looks like it really added to the moisture of the roll. Great job! Can't wait to give these a try.

ice tea: sugar high said...

oh my oh my.. brown sugar, cinnamon and condensed milk.. yuuuuuummmm.
This recipe is going to my bookmark straight away! thanks :)

grace said...

i'm definitely guilty of seeing a long list of steps in a recipe and immediately moving on. cinnamon buns, however, are one thing that's always worth the effort. excellent variation!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Ohhhhh....nice! (yes, I did play tether ball in elementary school too) Poor you...having to suffer through so many batches to get it right. ;) I LOVE cinnamon rolls. I was known for making "the best" in the family, and I did manage to switch it over to GF, thank goodness! One can't go without a cinnamon roll! :)
Great job!

Y said...

Condensed milk, brown sugar, cinammon.. holy moly!

Leslie said...

Carboholics UNITE!!!!
These look SINFUL.
I too skip on making things if there are toooo many steps..I just dont have the time

Dana aka Gluten Free In Cleveland said...

Oh wow. I really want to eat these....right now!

They seem like the perfect thing to make for a nice group brunch!

Cat said...

Hi! Is the recipe on the recipe card? Your post says to see the recipe card but when I clicked on it, there is no link. Can you please tell me how to pull up the recipe? Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can you please tell me how to pull up the recipe? Your blog says to see the recipe card for the recipe but when I clicked on it, nothing happened. Thank you!!

Sophie said...

Hi Cat,

I'm sorry to hear that -- if you click on the 'recipe' tab, it should come up. If not, here is the recipe (makes 8 rolls):

2 tsp dried orange zest
3/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 tsp guar gum
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 TBSP sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 eggs
3 TBSP canola oil
Extra:
about 1/3 cup extra white rice flour for dusting on dough before rolling it out.
Filling (approximate):
about 4 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
5-6 TBSP sweet condensed milk
1 1/2 tsp white rice flour
Glaze (approximate):
5 1/2 TBSP sweet condensed milk
3 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
1/2 TBSP vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp cold water

Set your oven to 225.

Combine dried orange zest, sea salt, all flours (including tapioca starch), guar gum, xanthan gum and only the brown sugar in a large bowl. Mix well. Set aside.

Heat the buttermilk for about 45 seconds on high in the microwave, then combine it in a large bowl that contains the yeast and 1 1/2 TBSP of white sugar. Set aside for 7-8 minutes, let it proof slightly.

In a small mixing bowl, combine sweet condensed milk, eggs and canola oil, mix well.

Work on the filling, you can combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl (brown sugar, condensed milk and 1 1/2 tsp white rice flour), ending with the white rice flour.

When the yeast is slightly proofed, add the dry flour ingredients to the bowl containing the yeast. Mix just a little, then slowly mix in the remaining wet ingredients (not the filling, just the egg/oil/condensed milk mixture).

Mix together with your hands, use a spoon or flat ended spatula to remove the remaining dough from your hands/fingers.

Wash your hands and dry them. Now get a large piece of aluminum foil (about 18 inches wide) and dust about (more or less) 1/8 cup (or a little more, up to 1/4 cup) of white rice flour on it.

Smooth out the flour evenly on the aluminum, then place the dough on the floured aluminum sheet, add a bit more flour to the top of the dough. Instead of rolling it with a rolling pin, use your hands to massage and gently flatten/smooth the dough so that it's about 1/4 of an inch thick. You want the longer side parallel to the counter, or you.

Now, using a butter knife, apply a light layer of the condensed milk/brown sugar filling on the top of the dough.

Now you can roll up the dough from the bottom up. Use a clean/pregreased knife (you can use a napkin to apply some canola oil on it) to cut about 8 rolls out. Place the rolls in a pregreased oven-safe rectangular baking dish.

Next, fill a cake pan 3/4 of the way full with very hot water. Put it in the oven on the bottom rack, beneath where the buns will bake.

Turn off the oven then place the baking dish containing the buns on the middle rack, above the pan filled with water.

Let the buns rise in the closed (turned off!) oven for about 45 minutes. Then turn the oven on to 375 and leave the buns in there to bake for about 18-20 minutes.


When the buns are still a bit warm (after cooling for about 10 minutes) add the glaze. You can prepare the glaze by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl then mixing them together with a fork. Drizzle the glaze over the buns.

I sprinkled the buns with more brown sugar and cinnamon before serving them warm :). After they cool completely, store in the refrigerator in an air tight container with a lid. You can heat them up in the microwave for 30 seconds in a damp paper towel the next day.

Feel free to comment again if you have anymore questions :).

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh those cinnamon rolls look amazing!! I could just eat one now!!

Deborah said...

Those are some gorgeous cinnamon buns
!

charlene said...

I must try this buns!