Saturday, May 23, 2009

Moist and Tender Gluten Free Strawberry Scones

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I love berries! Last year we went berry picking in Austin and had so much fun. I've yet to go strawberry picking, but my grandparents had a strawberry plant in their front yard (and my parents had some on our porch, growing up). I couldn't wait to pick each one straight from the vine. I wouldn't even wash them -- that's what t-shirts were for; I'd stuff them right into my mouth. They were very tasty and tart, much smaller than the strawberries you'd find in a grocery store.

Sunshine and berries go hand in hand. Even though it's pretty rainy here, we're still experiencing warm weather -- that always puts me in the berry-eating mood. I'm a tea-drinker, I drink decaffeinated tea twice a day and I love having toast or something sweet and carby with each cup (even when it's hot, I just crank up the AC ;). So these strawberry scones are definitely the kind of treat I'd reach for to snack on with a cup of tea; they'd also be tasty with coffee or hot chocolate.

Oops! Almost forgot to include the pic of how the scones should be placed on the baking sheet :)

Unlike traditional scones, these gluten free strawberry scones aren't as heavy or dry or crumbly -- which is kind of funny considering gluten free baked goods tend to be all of those things. Instead, they're tender, moist and full of berry flavor. Eat 'em up (I ate about 3 within a 12 hour period :P)!

This is my first submission to this month's fruit-themed dessert gluten-free blog event, aka Go Ahead, Honey it's Gluten Free (hosted by Emilia at A Gluten-Free Day). The blogger behind this is Naomi from Straight into Bed Cakefree and Dried, check out her blog!

Gluten Free Strawberry Scone

Not dry or too sweet (actually quite moist)—lots of ...

See Gluten Free Strawberry Scone on Key Ingredient.

16 comments:

Monica H said...

Everyone keeps making scones, biscuits and muffins with strawberries and I am so tempted, but I keep eating them before they ever have a chance to make it to my oven.

These look delicious Sophie!

Lauren said...

Strawberry scones sound like a perfect way to use the beautiful berries we have this time of year! Do the berries remain moist in the scone, or do they dry out a bit, Sophie?

Michele said...

I love scones! I never had strawberry though. I bet it's awesome!

Sophie said...

Thanks for the comments ladies, hope you're having a great Memorial Day weekend :)!

Lauren, they stay pretty moist, the smaller bits get a little dry but all in all I think the strawberry juices kept the whole scone really moist :).

Dana aka Gluten Free In Cleveland said...

Oh my goodness Sophie, these are truly the most beautiful scones I've ever seen!

What a perfect recipe!

Emilia said...

I love the way those look; so delicious with the strawberries and they do look very moist.

The buttermilk in the recipe sounds great, it's one of my absolute favourite ingredients in baking, it makes everything taste a bit better :)

La Bella Cooks said...

Sophie, you are a girl after my own heart. I am so strawberry-addicted right now! These look divine.

grace said...

you continue to dazzle me with your gluten-free prowess, sophie--these are absolutely tremendous.

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Mmm...delicious! Berries, scones & a cup of tea. How perfect. :)

Deborah said...

Look at those strawberries - yum!

♥Rosie♥ said...

I just adore scones especially with strawberries. Scrummy - yummy..

Simply...Gluten-free said...

Looks amazing! I would love to have you enter June's Go ahead honey, it's gluten free event I am hosting. Check it out http://simplygluten-free.blogspot.com/2009/05/go-ahead-honey-its-gluten-free-june.html

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

Fresh berries are delicious. I'm so jealous of the home grown ones you describe! It's an interesting recipe with brown and white sugar, and the orange zest is a nice idea.

The Food Librarian said...

These look great! I'm going to forward to my gluten free friend. They are very pretty!!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

As Emilia said on the roundup on her site, these look tender and lovely indeed with the strawberries showing. :-) A new email contact was just asking me about scones, so I'll forward this link on to her!

Thanks,
Shirley

Anonymous said...

OMG these are fabulous!! I *just* made these scones, and had the most exquisite breakfast today enjoying them! Thanks for sharing such a great GF recipe!