Monday, October 26, 2009

Gluten-Free Barbecue Sauce!



Diet restriction. I don't like how that sounds. Why does it have to be a restriction, why can't we just focus on the word free when we say gluten-free? Probably because we don't have many options.

But that can mean freedom, folks. Freedom from the box, whether it's the cake mix box or the box of glutinous cookies you can no longer devour (time to make our own tasty versions!). For me, it's more about thinking outside of the bottle...

I've made a new kind of food pyramid for myself. I'm not ashamed. The very bottom, recognized as the largest section, is strictly reserved for comfort foods (but at this point in my expecting life, they are necessities). That's where you'll find an assortment of yummy foods, from homemade yellow cake with chocolate frosting to... barbecue! Barbecue is on my food pyramid, yep. Though it might not do anything for my heart, its presence on my plate certainly makes the smile on my face a little bigger! :)



Ah, but gone are my KC Masterpiece barbecue sauce days. No more reaching for the bottle and pouring that great maroon colored sauce on chicken or ribs. The only gluten-free barbecue sauce I know about is Annie's... and I'm not a fan :( (though she does make tasty mac and cheese).

I remember the first time I made barbecue sauce from scratch. It was tasty... but it was missing the special somethin' somethin' that makes barbecue over-the-top finger lickin' good. Ok, so I'm referring to the cheater's version of barbecue (aka heavenly smokiness in a bottle). But it's just too cold outside for a real barbecue (and, unfortunately, it isn't allowed at my place!).

So what to do? Make a sweet and smokey sauce for my slow-cooked ribs. Yum!

Meat falls off the bone, just the right amount of sauciness... borderline illegal, folks. This gluten-free bbq sauce has THAT mouthwatering zing; it'll make taste buds happy and bellies sing. Thankfully, I can use my favorite worcestershire sauce now because it's finally gluten-free (thank you Lea and Perrins :)! Woohoo! Just make sure the vinegar is also gluten-free and you're good to go!


Oh yeah... and make sure you've got plenty of napkins! ;)

Gluten-Free Barbecue Sauce and Ribs

The secret ingredient? Sweet apple cider! :)

See Gluten-Free Barbecue Sauce and Ribs on Key Ingredient.


21 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

FABULOUS!! I love BBQ sauce. Nice addition with the apple cider!

Mini Baker said...

yet another AMAZING gluten-free recipe!
-Mini

Lauren said...

For BBQ sauce, we use Kraft Calorie Wise - for some reason the regular version has gluten & that one doesn't. However, this looks fabulous! Anything homemade has to be better =D.

Christie @ Honoring Health said...

Yum!!!

I found a bottled BBQ sauce at Whole Foods last week and can't seem to remember the name of it now but they had three varieties to choose from. And, it tastes good unlike Annies :)

Thanks for the info on the Lee and Perins, I didn't know that it was gluten free.

grace said...

funny—the big bottom on your triangle has the potential to lead to a big bottom on your person. :)

Michele said...

That looks fantastic!!!

Monica H said...

I'm loving your new food pyramid :-)

and yes, tht BBQ looks amazing!

Jenn/CinnamonQuill said...

Ah, I am glad I am not the only one who is crazed for barbecue sauce! I can put it on almost anything. Plus, it's hard to find bottled sauce that doesn't have hfcs. I love that you used apple cider! Good idea!

La Bella Cooks said...

These look completely delicious! Homemade BBQ sauce is always the best.

Marysol said...

Borderline illegal? Sign me up. That's exactly what I look for in a barbecue sauce.

And Sophie, could you please provide extra napkins? Some of us are drooling from the pictures alone.

Barbara GF said...

That barbecue sauce looks delicious, Sophie. I would try it on grilled tofu!

Deborah said...

This has me drooling! Something everyone can love, whether you eat gluten free or not!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Ah wow this looks delicious, I've been looking for a good BBQ sauce recipe for a while! Hope youre doing ok.

Emily said...

You made barbecue sauce?! That's incredible. I've never made homemade barbeque sauce before. You are spectacular!

cookies and cups said...

While i am sure that your BBQ sauce is amazing and gluten-free, yay..that potato salad looks AMAZING!! Did you make that??

Mama Mia said...

your layout and photos are just looking fabulous these days! I loooove BBQ! yum!

Haley said...

yum! this looks delish!

while i know your specialty is gluten free, do you know any good food blogs out there for diabetics?

Alexa said...

I like the idea of making your own food pyramid Sophie. That makes complete sense--everyone is unique. Those pics look so good!

Y said...

It's been so long (too long!) since this last post. Hope you're coming back soon!

Frank Gelman said...

Try Chef Hymie Grande BBQ Sauce, no HFCS,, no processed sugars, all natural, vegan friendly, sweetened with natural agave and is the first & only bottled BBQ suace to have the seal of the American Diabetes Association on the label as it meets ADA standards.

Anonymous said...

I found a bottle of STUBBS original is GF yesterday.