Friday, October 16, 2009

Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie


OmgOmgOmg! It's... almost Thanksgiving! I have been dreaming of roasted turkeys and gravy like never before, but let's not forget about the good ol' stuffin' and... gluten-free pumpkin pie! (I'm even ready for Christmas...even streaming Christmas tunes as I type. It's about 38 degrees outside, so I'm allowed! :)

Yes, it's possible... for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage OR a scrumptious a gluten-free pumpkin pie. Pumpkins aren't really yellow, are they? Not the one in the movie.

Who am I to question Cinderella's Fairy Godmother?!


Let's not go there.

Instead, let's go to the pantry, get out all of our flours and start baking! You know you wanna. Just check it out.

Oh gosh
, you say to yourself. ANOTHER PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE! Yeah, I know... last year, you tried making a pumpkin pie from scratch (using another recipe) only to end up with a tasty but kinda mushy mess, why don't those darn pie fillings set right?! Oh wait, that was me. Hehe.


The recipe will remain nameless (don't worry, it wasn't from a food blog ;), but I will say that... after doing a little bit of research and studying recipes, I figured I'd use less eggs, a little corn starch, and even powdered sugar (since powdered sugar has corn starch in it).

The end result? A spicy punkin' pie that's so firm (not like rubbery-firm, though), you can dive right in 5 minutes after pulling it out of the oven. No kidding! Just don't burn yourself! Yes, you can enjoy your pumpkin pie a la mode, with some ice cream... Pie nice and warm and yummy ice cream? Yep, you read right. Your Thanksgiving is set this year! Anyone got a good eggnog or spumoni ice cream recipe?

Recipe for the gf pumpkin pie is in the recipe card below. These are the recipes that I "studied," (this one and this one) and used some of the spices from both. The white pepper is an extra touch (got the idea from Martha's gingerbread recipe), because I like my pumpkin pie with a kick! Those are my fav.

This is how you should cover the pie to ensure the crust doesn't burn:

Get yourself a nifty pie crust protector (not sure if that's the technical name)
Thanks, mom, for getting me one :)!


Here's what I call a pie-dome. It's aluminum foil;
there's plenty of "breathing room" between the pie and foil.


Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie with Cinnamon-Sugar Cookie Crust

I loooove pumpkin pie! Like, so much that I had ...

See Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie with Cinnamon-Sugar Cookie Crust on Key Ingredient.



17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

It's 35°F here, so I have you beat ;) And hooray for the holidays coming soon!!

The pie looks marvelous to me. Love that you used a Sara Moulton recipe for inspiration - great guide!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

P.S. - the Cinderella reference = classic :-D

Lauren said...

Even though I've already had Thanksgiving (twice!), I haven't had a pumpkin pie. That has to change.

christie, honoring health said...

I am hosting Thanksgiving this year and have been wondering about dessert. Thanks for the lovely recipe, now I know what to make!

grace said...

the texture of this pie is PERFECT! it's exactly what pumpkin pie should look like--no runny mess, yet not the slightest bit hard, either. bring on the cold, as long as i have pie to give me strength! :)

Mini Baker said...

I gotta get me one of those crust protectors!

Monica H said...

That pie looks absolutely perfect Sophie! Now I want a pumpkin pie milk shake. I can't wait for Thanksgiving!

Hilary said...

Sigh... my (Canadian) Thanksgiving is already over, so all I can do is drool and salivate over posts like this one until I can have another pie next year.

(Why is it that I feel I can't eat pumpkin pie at any other time of year?)

Deborah said...

That looks like a perfect pumpkin pie.

Michele said...

Gorgeous!

La Bella Cooks said...

This has to be one of the most gorgeous and perfect pumpkin pies I have seen. Just look at that glossy filling! I am such a huge fan of pumpkin pie and can't wait to make one.

Unknown said...

How did you know I was going to make pumpkin pie this week? It's 100 degrees here, but I can't wait for the weather any longer. I'm definitely using your recipe.

Sweet Sins said...

Yum Yum Looks great!!!

Jennie said...

That is one yummy looking pie! A must try!

Emily said...

Wow! It's so beautiful! I would dig into this five minutes out of the oven, for sure. :)

I'm ready for the holidays also.

Jenn/CinnamonQuill said...

I am glad I am not the only one who is dreaming of the holidays and planning out the meals in my mind. I love the cinnamon and nutmeg garnish...Looks fabulous!!

Kristina said...

Great recipe! You should definitely enter it in the Better Recipes Pumpkin Pie Thanksgiving Recipe Contest.