Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm lazy, that's why I've been gone.



Gone are the days, at least for now, when I can spend hours in the kitchen baking/cooking and washing dishes/cleaning up... and still have energy left over afterward to do something else. But I've never been happier. Exhaustion has set in; I'm a bum these days, a professional couch potato of sorts. I've even gotten way behind on my blog reading! Tsk tsk. Sure, I still get dressed and cook the occasional meal, which is usually something boring and easy, but things have been pretty mellow 'round here.

Speaking of round, as each day passes, I become a little more round than the day before... and it's not just because I've been eating Snickers and lots of salty refried bean burritos (two big recent cravings). I guess I shouldn't say I haven't been baking, because I'm a 24/7 baker these days.

Truth is, I'm baking the tastiest gluten-free bun! My scrumptious little bundle will not be ready until mid May, though... talk about needing a long time to proof! I'm 9 weeks today. He/she doesn't look like much yet, but he/she does have a heartbeat, eyes and limps now! Woohoo! And he/she can move, even though I can't feel him/her. I really don't care what flavor I get; boy or girl, they'd both be a delicious treat. Don't worry, I don't plan on eating 'em... but baby fat does remind me of bread dough, hence the analogy.



You want to know another reason why I haven't been posting? Because I EAT everything I bake before I actually get to photograph it :P! Terrible, I know I'm bad. I've made some pretty tasty gluten-free blueberry muffins, some delicious angel food cake cupcakes, and gluten-free flour tortillas. So you'll have to bear with me... here's a recipe from this summer. I made them for my dad-in-law's birthday (or Father's Day? Memory fails) & he liked 'em :)... so enjoy!

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookie Bars

Chewy and buttery, yum!

See Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookie Bars on Key Ingredient.

29 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So glad to see you posting again and MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS on the "little GF bun" on the way!! :)

Lauren said...

Congratulations!! These bars look lovely, and I can't wait to see what you make, being a 24/7 baker now =D.

maybelle's mom said...

i hate to say it but pregnancy makes you dumb. With both pregnancies I had some hilarious kitchen failures from forgetfulness.

Ann (Healthy Tasty Chow) said...

Oh that's so wonderful! Congratulations!!! And the bars look delish. Good for you that you make anything - I just wanted to sleep and eat weird stuff the first three months- not actually cook anything. I second what MM said- you do get dumb- I threw my credit card away at the gas station. Figured it out an hour later. Good luck on focusing!

christie, honoring health said...

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Those bars sound awesome!

grace said...

oh, sophie, you're baking the best bun of all! congrats--thanks for sharing the image of your little one, as well as an awesome recipe!

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

Always fun to hear good news. It's a perfect excuse for your absence. Congratulations!

Sharon said...

Congrats on the lil bun! You have an excuse to sit back and relax :)

Snooky doodle said...

yummy and congratulations :)

Unknown said...

I've been wondering how you've been. Isn't it fun to be so happy about being lazy. ENJOY IT! CONGRATULATIONS!

Amy said...

Hi Sophie. Was so happy to see your post today. Many congrats on your newest GF baking project! Thanks for sharing your great news!

Mini Baker said...

yayyy for your bun in the oven!!!
CONGRATS!
and I'm sure the baby appreciated the gluten-free bars :)
-Mini Baker

CinnamonQuill said...

Best, to you! And much happiness; so exciting!

I need to make more bar cookies...these look v. good!

And I know what you mean; I eat most things before I have time to even think about taking a photo. Ha.

Karine said...

Congrats! Your bars sound delicious!

Monica H said...

Bread dough does feel like baby fat. I love it!

Congrats again honey!

Y said...

Gasp! Congrats on gluten free bun! Very excited for you :))

Michele said...

You're not lazy! You're busy being pregnant! Congratulations!

Cindy said...

Congratulations and be as lazy as you need, pregnancy exhaustion is hard. I ate a lot of cereal for dinner in those days.

lisa @ dandysugar said...

Congratulations on the tiny GF bun!!

These oatmeal bars look delicious. You have so many great looking treats here- I'm enjoying your blog!

Emily said...

Awwww congrats once again!

That's going to be the best thing you've ever baked!

Mmm bean burritos and Snickers.

Nadya said...

Congrads! Oh, yeah, lkie Mabelle's mom said - beware of 'mommy mind!' (Kind of related to 'sometimer's - sometimes I remember, . . .')
Goddess Leonie has a great post on birth choices (she's also got a bun in the oven) http://www.goddessguidebook.com/birthing-choices/ I do massage 'after' for new moms at our local birth center & adore it - have 3 midwife assisted grandkids (& one hosp. with nurse midwife)

& by the way, Coconut has about the same ratio of MCT (medium chain triglycerides) as mama's milk, & using coconut milk, flour & oil in your baking while you're PG will boost your own immunities, as well as giving them extra goodies!! Esp imp. as you get closer to D day - but great all along :)
Also helps keep our brains well nourished - maybe helps with 'mommy mind?'
blessings!

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Well now, isn't this exciting news!! Congratulations! Hope you're feeling great & able to enjoy ever day of your pregnancy. :)

Sophie said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments and well-wishes :)!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free said...

Congrats, Sophie! How exciting. I am thrilled for you. Can't wait to hear all about the excitement of the coming months.

Deborah said...

Congrats!! I'm so excited for you. I remember all too well how hard it was for me to blog while I was pregnant, so we'll all understand if you're not blogging as much!

Sweet Sins said...

Congrats again!! I am so dang excited for you! I have to live through you as we have no plans for a family for at least 5 more years!!

Carrie said...

Congratulations!!!! What a great way to introduce your pregnancy!! I wish you the VERY best!!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Oh Sophie! Congratulations! I am teary eyed for you. My daughter is 8 weeks old today and I cannot express how full of joy my heart is to be a mother to this precious little girl. I don't know you well, but I can tell you have a sweet spirit and a little girl sounds like just what you need.

Prepare yourself to love your husband more than you ever thought you could. Nothing melts a new mommy faster than seeing her husband swoon over his daughter.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!! When in May are you due?

Janna

sweetaurea7 said...

I recommend some cookies, cake, brownies or muffing, they have fun doing these little things. I do them in my house with my kids on gluten-free. Comes a gluten-free flour is called Chia Seed Flour is excellent, I recommend it 100%, has omega 3 and many nutrients for children. I was watching on You Tube and have many things to do for children. This company is called Nuchia Foods and you can get easy www.nuchiafoods.com.