Thursday, October 16, 2008

Apple Picking, Apple Stuffing, and Apple Pie...& I'm still not tired of apples

Last weekend we went apple picking. It was SO MUCH FUN! The weather was perfect; the sun was shining, the air was crisp and sooo clean. The apple farm was packed with families and kiddos, but we still managed to collect enough plump and juicy apples to last us about two weeks. Did I mention how gorgeous it was? I felt like I was walking through a life-sized postcard all day!

Now how about that pie. I recently met a gluten-free blogger who asked me if I'd ever made a gluten-free pie. Though I have made a gluten-free pie, I hadn't made one completely from scratch (as far as the crust goes), so I promised to post a 100% from-scratch pie recipe. I have to say, this pie was delicious; I have a feeling it has to do with using freshly picked Mass. apples (last time I made a blueberry pie with the berries we picked, it made a huge difference in the pie's taste). They are delicious and crunchy; there's nothing worse than a mushy apple. I used Macintosh apples and sprinkled them with the juice of half a lemon to add a bit more tartness, it counteracted the sweetness of the pie quite nicely. I think this recipe's a keeper, tell me what you think!

MINI :) Gluten-free Apple Spice Pie

Soooo good!

See MINI :) Gluten-free Apple Spice Pie on Key Ingredient.


All this talk about the Fall is making me crave Thanksgiving food! I mentioned before that I wanted to make a stuffing, so this weekend I made a gluten-free apple stuffing (using the apples we picked, of course, we have so many!). It was tasty but for some reason it came out tasting like...tamales! Tamales? Yep. I think it's the funky cornmeal I used... Anyhow, next time I plan on using better cornmeal and I also plan on only roughly chopping the veggies. It's hard to tell (because my food processor works so well and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it) but there are quite a bit of veggies in the stuffing.

Gluten-free Cornbread Apple and Veggie Stuffing

Yummy and tamale-flavored stuffing. Strange but true.

See Gluten-free Cornbread Apple and Veggie Stuffing on Key Ingredient.


I'll leave (no pun intended :P) you all with these photos of the verrrrry Falllish Massachusetts countryside. I almost forgot to mention, some of the photos are from Walden Pond (think Thoreau, if that doesn't ring a bell). GORGEOUS! Can I build a cabin here, too? I won't write about ant piles, I promise. Oh wait, it isn't winter yet...I'll probably change my mind when it's 7 degrees outside ;)...or maybe not! Have any of you ever danced in the snow before? I'm a weirdo from California who was fried by the sweltering Texas sun, so that's what I'll be doing during the first snowfall ;).

23 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I ADORE apple-picking!!!

A gluten-free pie and stuffing?!?!???!! You rock. Hard.

Walden Pond is so picturesque; and I love Thoreau's work :0)

Sharon said...

I've been dying to go apple picking! Everything looks so delicious.

La Bella Cooks said...

I am hoping to go apple picking this weekend and am really looking forward to doing so. How gorgeous your pictures and your pie are. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I too would be dancing in the snow!

Y said...

Those pictures of the countryside are so beautiful :) I haven't been apple picking.. yet.. but my mom has, and the stuff she brought back once, blew me away. The apples were just so fragrant and crisp.

maybelle's mom said...

This post has made me realize that I need to cook with some apples this weekend.

Deborah said...

I want to go apple picking - especially so I can make some of this!

cakewardrobe said...

I just posted about that favorite pastime! I love the apple dish! Gorrgeeous photos! XOXO

Snooky doodle said...

wish to go apple picking too. Seems lots of fun. The photos are great. And that apple pie is to die for.

RecipeGirl said...

Love those fallish pics. MA has all the great change-of-seasons that we don't ever get :(

Yay for apple picking! I loved our trip this year too, and I'm also NOT tired of my apples yet.

Your recipes look like great choices!

Katrina said...

That pie looks really good! Love the fall pictures.

grace said...

this is incredible--people on gluten-free diets must be absolutely in love with you. heck, i can have gluten, and i'm in love with you. :)

Prudy said...

How gorgeous. Life sounds idyllic, for goodness sakes, you get to go to Walden Pond. I tried to convince my husband to name our son Thoreau. I thought it might help him live a simple life. My husband thought I'd lost my marbles. When I tell my son now he thinks it sounds like "Throw" and who would want to be named "Throw?" The pie sounds like a wonderful end to a picture perfect day. And stuffing that tastes like tamales sounds like a ten in my book.

Food For Tots said...

The pie looks so yummy! I luv those countryside photos! There are so so BEAUTIFUL!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Going apple picking sounds so much fun! I want to go as well! I don't think we have a place here where we could do it...
There's no way of getting tired of apples, we can do so much with them! And that pie looks delicious, well done!

Jaime said...

i love apples too! you should try the apple cake with caramel sauce in my blog :)

Emily said...

Cool. Walden Pond.
Love the pictures.

I'm not tired of apples, either! That'a pretty perfect-looking pie!

Tracy said...

Hi, Sophie! This is a very festive post--love all the autumn-glory photos! And the pie is a beauty...mmm...It's apple time, and I can't get enough of apples either! :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this pie! Still haven't made mine yet.

Leslie said...

Stunning photos! No apple picking here in Florida :(

Honeyed Hashette said...

It GORGEOUS there! I want to come pick apples! I just made an apple pie too. I gave a friend of mine your blog address. She is gluten free, so I hope she stops by.

I hope you are going well!

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Hooray! I can't wait to try your stuffing recipe. Sounds fantastic! We went apple picking recently and I have a ton of apples left... Now I know just what to do with them :)

Mary said...

Dear Sophie.
I'm too very like apple and all with apples.
You have a very beautiful autumn photo. I recently found one blog with great nature images. Few from them is unusual and very nice. Here is link for you:
http://feeling-yourself-through-nature.blogspot.com/

Sophie, you are always welcome to my blog!

cakegrl said...

The pie was a success here for our wheat/egg/dairy allergic kid. We used a frozen crust we found in the specialty store but did top it with your topping (Earth Balance instead of butter) but will try the crust next time with egg replacer. Apple pie is the only time she'll eat fruit too, so thanks so much!