Thursday, October 9, 2008

Barbecued Boston Baked Chili Beans and Sweet Potato Cinnamon Muffins


No Thingies Thursday this week! Instead, I'm posting 2 recipes :)!

What happens when a Californian moves to Texas where she marries her Southern-food-loving lover right before they trek off to Boston? No, not a culture-shock induced lobotomy...a really fantastic chili bean recipe! (Or is it chili beans recipe?)

I'm sure you're familiar with most Texan's love of barbecue, and you've probably heard of Boston baked beans, but how does California fit into this beany equation? Well, California is where I was born and raised until mid high school. It's where my mom used to crave chili beans when she was pregnant with me and where my parents used to sneak veggies into my chili so that I would eat them. Yes, it's odd. Chili was one of my favorite foods as a kiddo, but I hated veggies (sometimes I'd even cover them in ketchup, ewww!), so my parents would sneak them into my chili and hope that (after covering said chili with tons of cheese and sour cream) I wouldn't notice the little specks of green here and there...I did. The good news is, I now love veggies and I still love chili!

Barbecued Boston Baked Chili Beans

A Californian's take on a Southern recipe with a ...

See Barbecued Boston Baked Chili Beans on Key Ingredient.



Chili doesn't always love me, though. My digestive system has geriatric mannerisms these days. Oh, I know all about hearburn and bile reflux, thanks to the absence of my gallbladder. So I try not to make it too spicy. Still, it's yummy comfort food, and it's also a food that reminds my hubby of back home, aka Texas. So, it's become a sort of comfort food to him too. But I wanted to make these beens extra special for my little Southerner, so I added liquid smoke, it's the answer to every Texan-transplanted-to-Boston's prayer. (Now, does the apostrophe go after Texan or Boston? I think it's Boston's, but that looks really awkward. Gosh, there goes that handy English degree!)



Ok...because a meal just isn't complete without dessert, I also made Sweet Potato Muffins. Boy, they are tasty! Honestly, I was impressed with their non-gluten-free texture, but they are very much gluten-free and butter/milk free. I actually feel bad about posting them after the chili, but I didn't have a fun story to go with the muffin recipe... You know, I don't even want to talk about how good they are because I want you to make them yourself, give 'em a try! Seriously, a great Thanksgiving/Fall treat. Oh, but if you do make 'em, make sure you have them right after the chili; now that's what comfort food's all about!

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Muffins

A dairy and gluten free muffin that doesn't taste ...

See Sweet Potato Cinnamon Muffins on Key Ingredient.

20 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Chili + sweet potato muffins = AMAZING COMFORT FOOD!!! Any extras??? ;0)

Hang in there with the tummy troubles!!

Sharon said...

Ooh, I love both of these recipes. I am slightly obsessed with baked beans but find it strange that I absolutely refused to eat beans my entire life until college!

Tracy said...

Sophie...these are fantastic! I want to make both of these recipes. I love baked beans. And these muffins sound ever so good-great ingredients combo...mmm...Hope you are feeling better soon! :o) Happy weekend ((HUGS))

Deborah said...

We're supposed to get snow this weekend, so these baked chili beans would be perfect for the weekend! And I haven't baked with sweet potatoes like this, but it sounds sooo good!

PG said...

what a beautiful new design of your blog! I'm here after a long time now. The recipe of cinnamon is wonderful! Bookmarked. :)

Snooky doodle said...

what an amazing dish and I love the cinnamon muffins :)

grace said...

obviously, the muffins tickly my cinnamon-obsessed fancy. the chili beans look purty darn good too, even knowing how they tend to treat my digestive system... :)

Lucy..♥ said...

Sophie... chili and the muffins look so good.. bet the sweet potatoes gave a wonderful taste!!

Lauren said...

Oh my, those baked beans look SCRUMPTIOUS Sophie! Anything with ground beef has to be extra yummy. Adding those to the menu for this week...

Ivy said...

The beans and the muffins look so tasty! And I love your table cloth pattern-very fall-savvy. :)

Mama Mia said...

is it me or did you change your style of photography? new camera? the photos look great!!! so do those muffins. mmmm~ interesting combo!

Vera said...

Chili is a wonderful dish! I'm not surprised you liked it as a little girl. My son ate chili when he was 3 yrs old :) Your beans look yummy, as well as the muffins!

Prudy said...

Sophie-this is great fall food! I love those baked chili beans. Yummy! Now, you better take it easy and get better!

L a u r a said...

Your recipes look wonderful. I will have to try out a bunch of them on my kids and g-f husband.

I just noticed your comment from last month. I left for a long vacation that day and missed it! I wish I had seen it earlier so I could have gotten busy making some of your flour arrangements!

I LOVE Boston! You must be enjoying some wonderful fall color by now.

Aggie said...

These both look fantastic! I would love a muffin right now!

Mary Ann said...

This combination sounds fascinating and looks absolutely delicious!

La Bella Cooks said...

Sophie, can I come to your house for this fantastic feast? The beans sound delicious and remind me I haven't had baked beans in the longest time. I sure do hope you are feeling better very soon.

Emily said...

I have so much trouble with apostrophes. I need you to help me!

Stangely, I would eat veggies as a kid, but not chili...hmmm. I love all beans now though.

The muffins look awesome.

Anonymous said...

yes, yes, yes! to both. your poor digestive system, Sophie. :(

Cakespy said...

Those muffins look amazing. I wish I had one right now!!! (sorry for the late response on this one!)