Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daring Bakers October: Gluten-Free Pizza Crust


CLICK HERE FOR A BETTER RECIPE!!!!

I cheated a little and chose to adapt this recipe I found on ABC news :P. I noticed the DB challenge recipe would make enough dough for 4 small pizzas and I just didn't want to eat that much pizza :). Strange as it may sound, I found that this crust I adapted came out tasting like it was made with whole wheat! At first I thought it was the millet flour. After using millet flour to bake cookies last night, and even muffins over the weekend, I'm now convinced it wasn't that (or the rice flour, or potato flour, I've baked with those and know they don't have a 'wheat' flavor).

But...after talking to Alexa from Artsy-Foodie (who's been sweet enough to answer quite a few of my gluten-free baking questions :), I'm convinced it was the yeast. The original recipe called for 1 TBSP and I think that was way too much for a little personal pan pizza :P. I think 1/2 TBSP or even 2 tsps would've been fine. Does anyone else know what it could've been that gave this gluten-free pizza crust a wheaty flavor?

Oops, almost forgot! As for the second version of the pizza, I experimented just with the crust. I figured since it was my first gluten-free pizza crust, I should really spend time on the crust. I made the first crust very thin, adding more flour and even gelatin and the exact amount of xanthan gum that the recipe called for. I found the first crust was too tough, so I decreased the amount of xanthan gum, added less flour, and decided not to use the gelatin. The crust was much softer the second time around (and that's the pizza that's pictured in both photos :).

Gluten-Free Pizza Crust

Not sure what it is, but this crust tastes like ...

See Gluten-Free Pizza Crust on Key Ingredient.

26 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Pizza!!! Hooray :0) Not sure what could have caused the "wheaty" flavor though... do report back if you find out!!

Tracy said...

This pizza looks sooo good, Sophie! I could eat a piece right now--LOL!...mmm...Happy Day ((HUGS))

maybelle's mom said...

Oh your picture is the best I have seen so far. I am so glad you are finding gluten free alternatives--considering you are such a good backer, I am not surprised.

Anonymous said...

Your pizza looks so yummy! Great work!

Tara said...

So weird, I came online to try and find a pizza recipe and got distracted reading blogs, but then you have pizza on your blog! crazy!

PG said...

looks lovely! yummy topping!

Snooky doodle said...

this looks nice and its gluten free. Un beleivable :) yummy I adore pizza

Y said...

Looks lovely! And you didn't forget the xanthan this time ;)

grace said...

very impressive, sophie! people on gluten-free diets must praise the ground you walk on. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I was checking out your profile and you looked like such a fun girl, I had to come over and say hello! Love the pizza!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Oooh wow i love the look of your new blog :D:D. And mmm yummy pizza, looks great, i didnt get to make the daring bakers challenge this month once again :( snif. but im getting better each day and been trying to do a bit mroe, i managed to make some apple and custardy biscuits yesterday but wasnt up to taking pictures in between. thank you for your lovely comment, the doctors have just put it down to a brain virus so hopefully thats all it is and will work its way out of my system :)

Maggie said...

I never would have guessed it was gluten-free from the pictures! The toppings look great too.

Elaine said...

Gluten-free pizzas are usually substituted with rice-cake base, which does not taste at all like pizza to me :( But you know what, I think your gluten-free pizza has to be one of the best looking one. :)

Mary Ann said...

Wow- how adventurous of you to try gluten free! It looks like it turned out so delicious. I love Alexa's blog, I am sure she was a great help. I love your toppings as well! Delish!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Sophie, your pizzas came out looking great! I bet they were delicious too. I'd love a slice right now. Thank you for stopping by my blog, it's always nice to hear from people. I was reading your profile and I must say you are a caring person. Creative people have tender hearts. Big hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Hey other Sophie, I haven't been over here for a little while - just wanted to say that I love the cute new look!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Sophie, Your photo looks great and so does your pizza, my GF, SIL, would love your dough, I'mm passing it along to her!

Angie said...

Wow, Sophie - this pizza looks fantastic. I saw your comment on my site so I went to check yours out, and it just so happens I am planning to try to make a gluten-free dairy-free pizza on election night. This looks amazing, I am going to try making it with soy milk and goat cheese. Nice site - thanks for posting and for checking out my blog :)

Angie

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free

www.angiesrecipes.com

Vera said...

Sophie, your pizza looks beautiful!
The topping must have been yummy!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and I love your blog - it is so beautiful and soothing. I also popped over to your ohter blog - good luck in Boston. It took me back to over 25 years ago when I first started law school. You have a lot of great adventures ahead of you.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

You soon to be gluten free queen! That looks amazing!

Emily said...

Ahh, I love how you experiment around with things, making them gluten-free.

The crust looks great!

Alexa said...

Sophie,
Your pizza came out so nice and tasty looking.
I am so glad I was able to help out with some of your questions. I am happy to that any time :-)
I loved reading about all the experimenting you did. To me, that's what it's all about.

La Bella Cooks said...

Out of all the pizzas I came across for this particular challenge, yours looks the most delicious. Fantastic job, Sophie. I would love to give this recipe a try.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, this crust sounds terrific. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ey sweets, hello there!!
I wanted to invite you to my tutorial contest http://www.giselejaquenod.com.ar/blog/2008/11/03/birdie-know-it-all-contest/
Prizes are super awesome, and I think you could enter with any recipe of your creation!! :D
A super big hug!!
Gis