Saturday, October 25, 2008

Breakfast and Lunch: Gluten-Free Pancakes and Stew


Pancakes: My favorite food. Wait! I also like french toast...ok. So...

BREAKFAST: My favorite meal!

Oh...but a well-made Thanksgiving meal is heaven on Earth, so it's a close second.

Alright then, I'll sum it up like this: I adore food, all kinds. And so do you, that's why you're reading this!

I'm not the type that'll splurge on anything, really. Nearly everything I buy is on sale; material things just don't mean that much to me (unless it's an antique! My guilty pleasure = antique shopping...but that doesn't count, right!). I guess some would say that food doesn't matter; they'll say food is food, but I really can't say that. At all. Food isn't just food. If you're ingesting it, it should be good for you...and it should taste good too!

Gluten-Free Pancakes

Lots of ingredients but they all contribute to making these ...

See Gluten-Free Pancakes on Key Ingredient.


Some foods are extra special, though. Like buttery gluten-free pancakes with real maple syrup on top (Real maple syrup! The fake stuff doesn't taste half as good! Oh, and by the way, it took me forever to come up with a gluten-free pancake recipe! You'd think it'd be easy but it isn't!). And who doesn't love waking up to the smell of...stew! Yes, I bet you thought I was going to say pancakes! Of course I love waking up to the smell of pancakes, but I also love waking up to the smell of a lamb shank stew magically coming together in my crock-pot with leeks and onions and garlic and muscat wine and...

As soon as the aroma hits my nose, I know it's ready. It's been cooking for 8 hours, so the meat has to be tender. When my appetite's gotten the best of me,I jump out of bed to see if I'm right... yep, the meat is falling off the bone. Now I need to finish it off on the stove and add the final round of ingredients: tomato sauce, veggies, a few spices, and (of course) a little more time. 30 minutes of simmering does the trick.


This is a tasty stew, but you'll have to wait for lunch to try it because you've gotta try the pancakes first. Actually, nevermind! Eat the stew for breakfast and have the pancakes for dinner!

Lamb Shank Stew with Veggies and Muscat Wine

The crock-pot does all the hard work ;)...the rest is ...

See Lamb Shank Stew with Veggies and Muscat Wine on Key Ingredient.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

GLUTEN-FREE PANCAKES?!?!?!?! When are you serving breakfast?!?!?!?! ;0)

Snooky doodle said...

wow gluten free pancakes. It s wonderful. They look delicious too. I love waking up to the smell of pancakes too it brings back childhood memories :-) Have to try these recipes

maybelle's mom said...

gluten free pancakes look perfect.

Unknown said...

Your pictures look fabulous! I love pure maple syrup too. I feel like you can use less of it, because the taste is so great! This stew looks yummy!

La Bella Cooks said...

Now I am craving stew once again! Yours look particularly delicious with the tender meat taunting me, ha ha.

Leslie said...

I could eat breakfast for everymeal of the day! And real maple syrup is all you will find in my house! It is soooo expensive, but I cant stomach the that of the maple flavored high frutose corn syrup!

Alexa said...

The pancakes and the stew look great, Sophie! I love the pictures on your post.

Vera said...

Sophie, the pancakes look fantastic! Love the photo!

Prudy said...

Sophie, your gluten free pancake look perfect! Light and fluffy! You are really becoming quite the pro. And the stew looks fantastic too!

grace said...

you're darn right, i adore food. like you, i especially adore pancakes and breakfast in general, and i'll go ahead and let it be known that i could drink maple syrup straight from the bottle. :)

Deborah said...

I was really wanting pancakes this weekend, but never got around to making any. :( But this stew sounds so delicious and comforting!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'm like Leslie, I think I could eat breakfast for everymeal of the day! In fact sometimes I have breakfast for dinner and it's ohhhhhhh so good! Now having stew for breakfast... not so sure, althougt it does look delicious!