Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Thingies Thursday and Cranberry and Brown Sugar Pinwheels


Is it just me, or is this year flying by? I nearly forgot about September's Daring Bakers challenge, and when I remembered, it was too late to bake the crackers. (I'm posting this a bit early because I know I won't have time to work on this entry tomorrow!) I will attempt last month's challenge some time soon, though, especially since we had the option of doing a gluten-free version of the recipe :).

Gluten-free crackers can be expensive. Up to $5 for a small box! I've never appreciated the ability to make my own food more than I do now. Despite the fact that I wasn't able to make the crackers before the DB posting date, I'm grateful to the Daring Bakers for selecting a cracker recipe that could easily be made gluten-free or vegan. Not only was it a nice surprise, but it was a fun way to introduce foodies to unique diets that can literally be life-changing for some.

Speaking of changing, we're slowly starting to see some colorful Fall foliage here in Boston. The mornings are more refreshing and definitely on the cooler side. I've unpacked my sweaters and I'm finding ways to stay warm that don't involve my rickety radiator! Here are some photos of the area :).



About a week ago, around 3 AM, the apartment complex decided to give the radiators their first trial run of the year. It was a cool night but I woke up feeling a little sweaty and a lot freaked out. I couldn't figure out why it felt like I was standing outside on a hot August day in Texas while lying in bed on a very cold night in Boston.

Because I was half-asleep, I thought the apartment was on fire...I even got up to look for the flames, but it was just the radiator! It blasts intense heat for about a half hour every 4 hours when the apartment gets cold. Since it turns on very infrequently, when it does come on, it releases enough heat to keep a room warm for oh...about a day or two! It's not exactly very discreet either. I recently purchased a down comforter, thinking I was going to freeze without it, but my rickety radiator won't let that happen. I might have dark circles under my eyes on the coldest days of the year, but at least I'll be warm!

Now, I can't think of a better way to stay warm than with baking cookies! Still celebrating the flavors of the season and up and coming holiday season, I made spiral cookies with cranberries and a brown sugar filling. Lately, I just can't get enough cranberries. I'm craving them so much that I'm going to make stuffing tomorrow just so the cranberry sauce I purchased this weekend doesn't feel lonely :)! I know a lot of people don't like it, but I'm not sure how most folks feel about dried cranberries, or craisins. I love their tart flavor, it really balances out the sweetness of these cookies.

Cranberry and Brown Sugar Pinwheels

Warm and slightly tart from the cranberries, these cookies are ...

See Cranberry and Brown Sugar Pinwheels on Key Ingredient.




Now moving on to this week's award. You all make it so tough to choose a winner! Not only do most of you already have these awards, but there are also quite a few fun blogs that are just getting started! Before I pass this award along, there are two bloggers I'd like to thank: Michele of My Italian Grandmother and LK of Food for Tots!

VeggieGirl: A dedicated blogger who has a fun writing style and exciting life as a talented dancer!
Taste and Tell: Her photos are always so polished and delicious :)!
A Southern Grace: Engaging readers with her yummy recipes and sense of humor; never a dull post!


Thingies Thursday:
I love old cookbooks for a couple of reasons, they're fun to look at and add spice and color to a bookshelf. I also get a kick out of the illustrations. A little silly at times, they're generally pretty entertaining. I scanned the fudge recipe from this 1950s cookbook, but this same book includes a tuna casserole recipe that comes with a comedic/borderline disturbing illustration. The boy is feeding his party-hat-wearing pet tuna spoonfuls of tuna casserole! Hmm...I leave you with these milder photos. Until next time, let's not feed our pets anything remotely resembling a member of their same species :D!

25 comments:

Emily said...

I love anything cranberry, so I know I would like these pinwheels.

Pretty pictures of Boston! You guys are definitely ahead of us in the season. Still pretty warm down here.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Nope, it's not just you - the year is DEFINITELY flying by!! Scary.

Eeek, thank goodness your apartment WASN'T really on fire!!

Oooh, scrumptious recipe, as always!!

Congratulations on the blogging award; and wow, thank you so much for passing it on to me as well!! :0)

Leslie said...

Sophie...I love love love the new look of your site! Very warm and welcoming! Love the pinwheels..and I am so very jealous of your leaves changing!!!

maybelle's mom said...

congrat. and this year is FLYING by for sure. these are pinwheels are so seasonal.

Prudy said...

Fall in Boston-what could be better? Although I'm sure you could have done with the middle of night fire scare. The year is flying by! I wish I could hold tight to time, especially now with my two little children....
Congrats on your award and your amazing pinwheels! Gluten free hasn't slowed you at all!

Honeyed Hashette said...

The new blog design looks awesome and these pinwheels look great!! I love dried cranberries and I have been really addicted the the Archer Farms (Target brand) dried cherries. SO good.

Deborah said...

I keep waiting for the leaves to change here, but I'm still waiting! (Unless I go up in the mountains - I can see the beautiful colors up there!) These pinwheels look delicious and fun!

Coloradolady said...

love the cookbook. Older cookbooks have such an appeal.. very cute.

grace said...

so many things!
first and foremost, awesome cookies! i've never made pinwheels, but i know these'd be delightful!
secondly, i'm loving the new decor--very nice indeed. :)
finally, thank you so much for the recognition and kind words. your blog is one of my favorites. :)

JEWELGIRL said...

Very nice cookbook for kids and I
enjoyed your recipe and fall photos!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Pinwheels are allways such fun cookies! These are great! You're so right, what happend to this year????? I'm amazed we're allreay in Octuber!

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness! That is the cutest cookbook ever!

Vera said...

Sophie, the cookies are yummy!
And your autumn is so beautiful!

Snooky doodle said...

these look nice. i love cranberries an i love autumn :) best time of year.

Anonymous said...

Oh that cookbook is awesome! I heart the pictures!

La Bella Cooks said...

I love how you changed up your site....it looks great!! A big congratulations on your award and your pinwheels look delicious. They would go perfectly with my coffee right now.
Have a good weekend, Sophie!

Mama Mia said...

love those old cookbooks! :)

Sharon said...

Your new site layout looks great! Cranberries are a nice & unique addition to these pretty pinwhweels!

Mary Ann said...

What a great post!~ I can't believe that it is already October! These pinwheels look so good and I love your other fall pictures!

Tracy said...

Cranberries...I'll take anything with cranberries! These pinwheels look scrumptious...and all the fall color is a dream to behold...aaahhhh...Happy Autumn Days, Sophie ((HUGS))

Elle said...

I love cranberries, too! And yes, the year is flying by. Too quickly!

Elle said...

Oh, and great new look!!

Anonymous said...

I love the new layout!

Alexa said...

How perfect for this time of the year, the pinwheels look yummy! I have to stock up on cranberries.
I love the pics of old cookbooks you posted-- a great thing to collect.

Food For Tots said...

What a beautiful layout! It is great!