Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thingies Thursday and Gluten Free Cocoa & Cinnamon Coffee Cupcakes with Brown Sugar 'Cream Cheese' Frosting


I'm not a fan of giving up, but when it's to pursue something better, then it can be viewed as something positive. That's exactly how I feel about the basil cupcake experience. I tried, really did, then decided to move on to the September Cupcake Hero Challenge.

We could choose 2 of the cupcake hero themes they've had so far. I chose coffee and coca. This recipe isn't complicated at all. But after submitting fancier cupcake recipes in the past, I decided to go with something simple. This flavor combo is always a winner, but I wanted to spice up the cupcakes with cinnamon. The brown sugar 'tofutti' cream cheese frosting actually adds a toffee flavor to the mini cupcakes, at least that's what Jose thinks.


As for Thingies Thursday, I just found out about it. You can click here to read more about the fun weekly event. I'm participating so that I can share my fascination with antiques and old objects with you all! One thing I love about where I live is that I'm a very short bus ride away from a huge, 4 story antique market! I dropped by a few weeks ago and purchased an old Pillsbury Cookbook that I happily added to my vintage cookbook collection. Here are a few photos from that cookbook and a recipe. I've yet to try it out :).


I need to hand out a few awards! There are 3 I have on hand, some for months! I'll be giving those away soon, be sure to drop by some time within the next week to see who I've passed them along to :).

Mini Cocoa and Cinnamon Coffee Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting

Tastes like toffee…and coffee :)!

See Mini Cocoa and Cinnamon Coffee Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting on Key Ingredient.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to Vintage Thingies Thursday, and to the Boston area! I live outside the city now, but attended college in Cambridge. You're going to love it; it's such an eclectic environment!
My mom still uses that cook book!

Anonymous said...

Hey Soph, Love these cupcakes. Can't wait to try them!

But bu adding melted butter, I don't think they're dairy free! Maybe sub with melted sunflower spread?

X

Sophie said...

ah, you're right! I don't know what I was thinking :P...that's what 5 hours of sleep will get ya! :D

The Apron Queen said...

Thanks for sharing. I love vintage cookbooks myself! :)

Sharon said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos! Vintage cookbooks are always fun pick-ups.

Y said...

Love the look of those cupcakes. Didn't know there was such a thing as tofutti cream cheese and that you could make it into frosting. What's the resulting frosting like, in terms of texture (compared to normal cream cheese?)

Threeundertwo said...

I love vintage cookbooks. Some of those recipes are so fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are so pretty! And thanks for the heads up on Thingies Thursday! I have an INSANE amount of vintage items and I love showing them off.

mub said...

I love old cookbooks, they're always so much more interesting than the new ones!

Michele said...

Hey girl, we need to chat! I need to know what this xanthum gum is. Steve's mom isn't supposed to have gluten and I'd like to make her something gluten free but everytime I see this ingredient I change my mind. Can you tell me about it? Where do I find it? What does it do? Is it imperative to the recipe? Help! The cupcakes look great and I'd like to try them!

Mary Ann said...

Yummy- those cupcakes look so tasty! Cupcake Hero is so fun! Great combination of flavors!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

toffee coffee cupcakes look great! can't wait to try them myself :)

grace said...

three of my favorite dessert ingredients are chocolate, cinnamon, and brown sugar, so by default, i'm in love with these cupcakes. :)

Mama Mia said...

mmmmmmm gluten free! does that mean its calorie free too? I can eat as many as I want right? hehe

Snooky doodle said...

THESE LOOK SO SO GOOD.

La Bella Cooks said...

What a fun treat to find a vintage cookbook. I love looking through my great-grandmothers written recipes so a whole book would be fantastic! Brown sugar cream cheese? Now that is delectable!

Aggie said...

Hi Sophie! These cupcakes look fantastic!

Vera said...

These look yummy, Sophie!

Emily said...

Mmm, cocoa, coffee, cinnamon cupcakes. That's a great combo! Very fall and wintery. You know?

Prudy said...

Those look lovely and I'd just love to try that brown sugar frosting. I'm looking forward to you posting some pics of Autumn around Harvard. I know it's early yet but Boston in Fall is unbeatable.

RecipeGirl said...

Nice flavors, and I love that frosting choice too!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I do hope you try that white cake someday! Meanwhile I'm happy with these cute cupcakes!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Those look awesome!

Tracy said...

Love all the vintage goodies...and toffee & coffee--terrific combo...mmm...Happy Days, Sophie :o)

aTxVegn said...

Those cupcakes look sound so good. Actually there are quite a few tasty looking goodies over here!

I was just reading thru some of the other posts and had to laugh. I've had so many of the same experiences with gf baking.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Wow! What an amazing (and tasty!) combination. You have so many yummy recipes on your site, I don't know which to make first :)

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Love these! The flavors sounds so yummy!