Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's Almond Butter Pudding Time!



One of the not-so-fun things about baking is that sometimes the mistakes made during the recipe-inventing stage are irreparable. As a result, not-so-tasty and nearly toxic treats, like my vanilla fig basil cupcakes, get thrown in the trash and (while giving off a putrid aroma) get shunned even by Oscar the Grouch himself. You may think I am exaggerating, but this is exactly what happened with my vanilla fig basil cupcakes!

This month, basil is the Iron Cupcake Challenge secret ingredient. I don't know how other folks are putting their cupcakes together using such a potent herb, but I can't seem to formulate a recipe that includes basil and doesn't leave me gagging. One bite of those vanilla fig basil cupcakes and I was convinced they were far from salvageable. There was no way I could convince them, not even in the least bit, to taste like something worth calling a cupcake. Jose was nice enough to just say they tasted like sweet focaccia bread; I begged to differ and felt they tasted more like a green, furry, and long ago forgotten about something or another that can inhabit a back-of-the-fridge Tupperware...you know what I'm talking about!

Now, moving on to a less grotesque topic, let's hear about the Almond Butter Banana and Honey Pudding! Well, I'll be honest with you, I meant to make muffins. BUT Because I forgot to add XANTHUM GUM (a very cool word and incredibly significant gluten-free baking ingredient), the muffins fell into themselves. Yes, it was as if they were excited to come out of the oven after baking, but then (as if engaging in an act of rebellion) deflated upon realizing they were xanthum gumless!!! Oh, but they were tasty! I grabbed a big ol' spoon and dove right in...then it hit me!!! They taste like banana pudding!

Ah! What a relief. Thankfully, these xanthum gumless muffins were salvagable! Who knew muffins could be transformed into a bread pudding?! It worked out great because I just so happened to add the right amount of wet ingredients, so they didn't come out dry at all. I actually plan on replicating this recipe again some time in the future :). Oh, but don't get me wrong, I certainly won't forget about the xanthum gum the next time around ;)!

Almond Butter Banana and Honey Pudding

Almond butter, chopped bananas, and honey sweeten this simple gluten-free ...

See Almond Butter Banana and Honey Pudding on Key Ingredient.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when little mistakes turn into tasty treasures! Yum!

Y said...

Gumless muffins = bread pudding! Haha.. who would've thought! Looks delicious, Sophie!

Anonymous said...

Thank god someone else was having trouble with basil in cupcakes! I finished my entry a couple of days ago and it was really tough figuring out the amount of basil. I think I put too much in, but I'm sure a lesser amount who would worked better. They sure do look pretty though!

Emily said...

I'm glad this worked out for you! Muffins sound good, but I'm really in the mood for pudding.

Also, you might like to listen to Sparklehorse. Or Sufjan Stevens.

Anonymous said...

of course, I'm all out of almond butter. my day is ruined. ruined, I tell you!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

GENIUS!!! I'd say that it was meant for the original treat NOT to work out, since it gave you the chance to create THIS amazing treat :0)

grace said...

my mistakes rarely work out so well--good save! :)

La Bella Cooks said...

What a delicious mistake this was! Sometimes those are the best.

maybelles mom said...

I love when terrible turns good. But, I have to say I am fascinated by the failed cupckaes too.

Mary Ann said...

This sounds and looks amazingly delicious! So do so many of your previous entries. Gonna have to give them a try!

OhioMom said...

Good save on the muffins, I bet this pudding was wonderful!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Lol! That's the way to do it girl! Gumless muffins bread pudding is genious!

Snooky doodle said...

hi
i still haven t started experimenting for the basil cupcakes. It is a difficult ingredient this month. You asked me about the fondant. I usually just melt a tablespoon of gelatine and about 1.5 to 2 tbls of water them heat it till melts than add 1 tbl of liquid glucose till it melts than i just start adding powdered sugar till i see that its not that sticky but flexible enough to cover a cake about 200g icing sugar . Hope this helps you its the recipe i use for my cakes.

Vera said...

The pudding looks yummy! As for the vanilla basil cupcakes, maybe it would be safer to go with a savory version (basil and cheese, perhaps)?

Prudy said...

HOnestly, for blogging, I think the mistakes are just as interesting as the successes. I love when a mistake can morph into something better. We had one like that this week, and I can't wait to blog about it.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Freakin YUM!

Have I said yet how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE the layout of this blog???


<333333333

eatme_delicious said...

Great job salvaging the recipe! I'm not sure what I'd make if I had to put basil in a cupcake. Maybe a savoury cupcake with an unsweetened cream cheese topping? Hmm.

fuquinay said...

Still, I would like to try those muffins for myself.

By the way, it's xanthan gum. I have it, but I leave it out of most things that call for it. It's a thickener, but it gums too much.

Jacque said...

It looks yummy!

Your blog is so cute! Nice job.

Mama Mia said...

oh my! what a perfect autumn dessert.