Sunday, November 16, 2008

Apple Pecan Bacon Chicken for the Birdie Know It All Tutorial Contest


What do you do when you have bacon grease left over from bacon and need to think of a fun recipe to enter into Gisele's Birdie-Know-it-All Tutorial contest?

You use it to make a sweet and savory Sunday dinner, Apple Pecan Bacon Chicken, to be exact :). So here's my tutorial! Have you all checked out the contest? It is so cool because it's no just for cooks/bakers; if you're into designing stationary, making handmade cards, or even creating your own holiday decorations, you can join too. Plus, you get to feature this cute little logo on your blog :). Click it to find out more about the contest and cute prizes!

I think Paula Deen would've been so proud seeing me use up the bacon grease to fry some chicken! (Have you all seen that episode of Paula's Party where she fries everything, including that yummy pumpkin cake? Delicious!)



This dish is tasty and fun to make, it offers afew different textures and tasty flavors...not to mention two of my favorite fruits, cranberries and apples! Yum! Plus, I threw in some bacon, the hubby's favorite food. It wasn't a one skillet meal, even though it kinda looks like it. I cooked the apples in a separate pan, then I baked the chicken, but it was worth all the dirty pots/pans/cutting boards/time etc. :). (The cool thing is that you can stick that skillet in the oven, though.)

These pictures are a part of the tutorial, please excuse the not-so-pretty yellow tinge of my kitchen, I don't get very much natural light in there! A big thanks to my hubby for taking these photos, please don't cook and take photos...it really isn't safe :P!



Ingredients:
You can use 4-6 chicken drumsticks for this recipe.
Bacon drippings (from about 4 strips of bacon)
1 iron skillet
1/2 cup gluten-free chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
1/4 cup chopped leeks
2 TBSP honey
pinch of pepper
1 large Macintosh apple
2/3 cup pure apple cider
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup cranberries
1 strip of bacon
Aluminum foil
1/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
1/4 tsp thyme


Instructions for Tutorial:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cook 4 strips of bacon in an iron skillet.
  3. Save the bacon drippings in the skillet.
  4. Chop 1/4 cup each of sweet onion and leeks.
  5. Cook onion and leeks on medium/low in bacon grease (in the skillet) for about 3 minutes.
  6. Add chicken, use tongs to brown chicken drumsticks on all sides (watch for popping oil, be careful not to burn yourself).
  7. Sprinkle chicken with a pinch pepper and add about 1 1/2 - 2 TBSP of honey.
  8. Pour 1/2 cup gluten free chicken broth in skillet with chicken; cover and cook chicken on low for about 20 minutes.
  9. Flip chicken onto side that wasn't cooking and now cook for another 15-20 minutes on low while you prepare the apples.
  10. Peel and slice 1 large Macintosh apple.
  11. Pour 1/4 cup warm water and 2/3 cup pure apple cider into a sauce pan, add about 1 1/2 TBSP brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Then add about 1/3 cup roughly chopped pecans. Cook on medium/high for about five minutes (without apples). Then lower flamer to low, add apples and 1/3 cup cranberries and cook for about 5 minutes (you don't want them too soft, just cook until they are slightly soft but still somewhat crunchy).
  12. Cover the chicken in the skillet with the apple mixture (use only 1/2 of the apple mixture if you use 4 drumsticks, use all of the cooked apples if you have 6 drumsticks). Sprinkle with thyme, bay leaves, and bacon bits (from 1 freshly cooked but cooled strip of bacon) and bake (COVERED WITH ALUMINUM FOIL!) for 10 minutes then turn chicken drumsticks over. Lastly, bake for about 15 more minutes minutes. Let cool then eat! :)

Apple Pecan Bacon Chicken

Tasty!

See Apple Pecan Bacon Chicken on Key Ingredient.

22 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh my, something low carb! I'm in love, Sophie. Going to be making this for dinner soon. You and Paula Deen rock. :)

Anonymous said...

wiii! an awesome entry!!!
makes me feel like cooking
hihihi
:D
Hugs!!!

Snooky doodle said...

nice dish :)

Unknown said...

This looks so beautiful! I'm trying to turn my husband from his phobia of fruit and meat together. I think the added bacon could just be the thing!

Cakespy said...

Holy delicious! Hearty and yet a touch gourmet and a little unexpected. Great recipe here!

grace said...

what a lovely dish! although i think pork is apple's perfect meat-mate, this combo of ingredients would be irresistible. :)

Jay said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I always love your recipes.

And since I have more time to shop and cook, I am definitely going to try this recipe!

Y said...

I'm all for anything involving bacon :D

PG said...

mouth watering! Wonderful photos! A very delicious recipe.

Tracy said...

As a non-meat eater, I'll be passing this good recipe on to my hubby--LOL! ;o) He would love this though...nice fall flavors. Happy Day, Sophie ((HUGS))

La Bella Cooks said...

This recipe has a great combination of flavors. Looks and sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I don't eat meat (or well in this case chicken), but your apple pecan bacon chicken photographs beautifully. Looks - and sounds - great!

Mary Ann said...

Wow- this looks great. I love the tutorial. what a fun contest. Paula Deen would be proud, that is for sure!

Vera said...

I'm sure Paula Deen would be very happy, Sophie :) I love chicken with apples!

Mama Mia said...

mmmmm bacon grease! Thanks for the tutorial. Sounds like a great contest. I need to think of something to add submit!

Lot-O-Choc said...

mmm this looks tasty!!
the birdy icon is so cute too!!
hope it goes well :D! tee hee.

Leslie said...

Ohhh nice..I love all the different flavors you have going on in this dish..yes...you made Paula proud!

Anonymous said...

I see more and more posts about frying in bacon grease - I'll have to try it soon! You can find more bacony goodness here: https://community.bacontalk.com

Deborah said...

I love cooking with bacon grease. I actually keep a mug of it in my fridge so I always have some on hand. This looks delicious!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Yummy!!

LaDue & Crew said...

Oh what an amazing dish! All "Fall-ish" and colorful... great comfort food! I'm definitely going to give this one a try!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

MMMM!