Saturday, November 29, 2008

First Gluten-Free Thanksgiving :)


This Thanksgiving wasn't much different from others in the sense that I still have so much to be thankful for. But to sum up what I feel the most grateful for this year, using the fewest words possible, I'd have to say that it's for the quiet moments in which I could actually recognize and appreciate God working everything together for good. God always works the same faithful way, but things tick a little differently in me.

What I'm thankful for might not seem like such a big thing to an outsider, but it's completely influenced my perception of life and love so much that I can experience those two things much better than I could before. Ah, the feeling of growth! And I'm not just referring to full bellies growing as a result of eating too many slices of pumpkin or apple pie ;)!

So what does any of this have to do with food? Well, remember that feeling you get when you're staring at all the gorgeous platters on the Thanksgiving table, right before you take the first bite? At that moment, you're hungry but also satisfied; you know the delicious feast is large enough to feed you, those you love, and yield plenty of tasty leftovers for tomorrow. That's how I feel right now. The blessings won't run out, there will be plenty of things to be thankful for tomorrow. I'm hungry with excitement for what's ahead but so satisfied with what I have now.

This was the first Thanksgiving my husband and I spent together in Boston and as a married couple. We wanted to document it :), so I took some photos of the things we ate. I should also add that it was our first gluten-free Thanksgiving! I didn't measure very much when I was putting the dinner together, but I'll outline a few of the recipes and provide links to the sites whose tasty recipes inspired our turkey day menu :). I hope you all felt satisfied this Thanksgiving, and I mean that in every sense of the word!



Cranberry Sauce Jam (adapted from Bobby Flay):
1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cup water
1/2-2/3 cups sugar
1/2 small orange mashed, with skin removed
1 1/2 tsp gelatin (about half a small packet)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of cloves
pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients, except for gelatin, in sauce pan
Cook on low until cranberries are soft
Stir in pectin about 1/2 tsp at a time
Refrigerate and serve cold



Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese:
Adapted from "A New Way To Cook" by Sally Schneider
found on RecipeZaar
I followed the recipe but used these gluten free noodles
Tips: Use half Parmesan and half jack cheese

Instead of using all the milk, I added a bit of heavy cream and chicken broth.



Fried and Baked Butternut Squash with Coconut (Inspired by Grace :):
1 small butternut squash
1/2 cup coconut
about 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
few tablespoons maple syrup
few tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/3 cup dried cranberries
3 tbsp apple cider
Bake butternut until tender (about an hour or so at 350)
Allow it to cool, then slice
Sprinkle each side of slices with coconut
Lightly fry squash in canola oil and sprinkle with cinnamon and maple syrup
Remove when golden.
Combine slivered almonds, about 1 1/2 tbsp maple, cider, and pinch of cinnamon
Cook in pan until maple syrup and cider become thick
Add cranberries
Serve squash with the maple almonds



Mashed Potatoes and Stuffing
5 red potatoes
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 Tbsp butter
1/3-1/2 cup Colby jack cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Cut potatoes into cubes and boil in large pot until soft
Strain put potatoes back in the pot and mash them
Add the rest of the ingredients while cooking potatoes on low



2 lb Ham (uncooked)
2 TBSP maple syrup
1 1/2 TBSP apricot preserves
sprinkle of black pepper
Combine all wet ingredients in a small bowl,
Lather ham with syrup concoction
and sprinkle with pepper.
Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 30 minutes

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Thyme
recipe by Danny Boome




2 lb turkey breast
4 TBSP melted butter
A few pinches garlic salt
A few pinches pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/8 tsp paprika
Gently poke turkey with sharp knife to create small incisions.
Create a pocket between the layer of skin and meat
Combine melted butter and seasonings
Lather turkey with butter, making sure to get in the pocket
Bake in a roasting pan at 325 for 1 hour and 45 minutes, then bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

24 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such a touching post. I am SO elated to read about all of the goodness that graced your Thanksgiving celebration - sensational food, wonderful company, and a wonderful outlook on being gluten-free :-)

Leslie said...

Good food and family..doesnt get any better!!!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Beautiful! What a nice post Sophie and nice food as well, of course ;)!

maybelles mom said...

WOW, what a spread. That first thanksgiving together as a married couple really is special. And, it is wonderful to read such a postive post.

Snooky doodle said...

wow what a niced dinner. And it s gluten free too.! its over the top . everything looks so delicious. :) I m thankful for your recipes

Michele said...

That was a beautiful post! I'm glad you has such a great Thanksgiving! You're lucky to have a husband who doesn't mind eating gluten free, I'm sure it's a challenge!

Tracy said...

Food and family...it doesn't get any better! Wonderful recipes for the holidays here, Sophie...thank you! Happy Days as you celebrate...((HUGS))

Unknown said...

It all looks so delicious! I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

Emily said...

What a feast!!
I want some of that mac and cheese.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Katie said...

Everything looks so delicious! Great photos.

grace said...

very rarely do i inspire anyone--thank you. :)
i love your creations, but most of all, i love your attitude. thanks for that, too. :)

Lot-O-Choc said...

Thanks giving looks like such a wonderful time. I wish we had something like that in the Uk :). Btw love the gingerbread man in your blog. Its sooo cute!

Anonymous said...

Gosh your food is so pretty it makes me want to eat Thanksgiving fare all over again (and believe me, I didn't think that was possible).

I've added you to my blog roll so I can keep remembering to come back for more of your lovely blog.

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks lovely to me! The mac and cheese looks really good!

Mary said...

Wow, that's yum!

Y said...

Happy gluten-free Thanksgiving to you! What a spread :)

Deborah said...

I'm so impressed with how well you've changed over to gluten-free!! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Vera said...

It looks like you had a real feast, Sophie! Everything looks scrumptious!

Katie said...

I know what you mean about Thanksgiving, feeling hungry but also satisfied. I feel/felt the same way.

Lauren said...

Oh my Sophie, can I please come over and eat? :)

Marlow said...

This was my first gluten free Thanksgiving also! Yours looks DELISH-US!!!!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Hi Sophie, Beautiful post! and such a fantastic dinner you made for you and your husband. Great photo's!!

michelle allen said...

schmoollly you make some yummy looking food! your pictures are fabulous. i'm wanting to get up from my warm seat and make one of your tasty treats, bummer that it's 11PM! thanks for commenting on my blog and leading me to yours. i've bookmarked it and will be back for inspirations. merry christmas to you.

Iris said...

I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year, and it will be gluten-free! I'm really excited! I'm sure I'll try some of your recipes for the meal.