Thursday, November 6, 2008

Gluten-Free Banana Maple Yogurt Cake and Vintage Thingies Thursday


Warning: Lengthy post ahead (not so surprising ;)!

One of the great things about going on a gluten-free diet when you have a gluten intolerance is that a few months or so later, you notice that you're not as sensitive to other foods you initially thought you were sensitive to. For instance, I eliminated quite a few dairy products from my diet about a year ago, thinking they were the culprit of too many rumblies in the tumbly. Thankfully, this wasn't/isn't entirely true. It seems I'm not as sensitive to milk products as I previously thought. This doesn't mean I can chug down a glass of milk or eat a whole block of cheese (I wish!), but, thankfully, I can handle more dairy than once believed, like yogurt. This is a GREAT discovery. You have no idea how much I love love love dairy products. I've moved from rice milk to lactose-free milk, I've started sprinkling bits of cheese on so many different savory foods I eat, and I've even started adding yogurt to my cakes. Before I began this gluten-free adventure (and it is an adventure ;) I had to take off my wedding ring because it was slipping off! I went to put it back on this weekend, and I actually had to struggle a little to get it on my finger! Thank God for little discoveries like gluten-intolerances (of course, I'm not so thankful for the intolerance itself, but you know how it goes ;). Oh yes, and thank God for allergy tests, it turns out I'm really allergic to sesame seeds! No sesame seeds or oil for me!

Yogurt does wonders for a cake! It adds moisture and flavor! I used Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Yogurt for this cake to make it extra moist without using tons of butter. You know what other ingredient I love to bake with?? Maple syrup! I know it sounds crazy, that stuff is so rich and sugary, but it adds an element of buttery flavor to sweets, at least that's what I've noticed. Maybe my taste buds are off, but I'm telling you, maple syrup tastes awesome in cakes or muffins. I don't like to pour it on when it comes to waffles or pancakes, but sneak a little bit into that batch of carby delights and you'll see what I'm talking about! I also sprinkled on some cinnamon chips and slivered almonds, this cake does not need frosting! Maureen over at Hold the Gluten had an awesome pumpkin bread recipe that I still need to try! She put cinnamon chips in her bread and I knew I had to get some right away!


When I'm not pouring loads of sugar into my baked goods, I'm collecting old things from here and there :)...for Thingies Thursday! Well, I don't really go out antique shopping that often, but when I'm in need of a new piece of furniture, or something to hold my magazines, or maybe something to hold my other somethings (as you can see, I really try to find any excuse to buy these little thingamabobs we refer to as antiques ;), I pay a visit to my favorite antique store in Cambridge. If you're a fan of antiques, you have to check out the Cambridge Antique Market.


To be honest, I've only gone twice, but when I do go, I stay for quite awhile. There are 4 or 5 floors, I've lost count! My head's too busy spinning round and round (there's so much to look at) that I don't even notice when I've gone from one floor to another; it's like I'm a drifter being sucked in...in antique land. I went this weekend in search of a night stand. Thankfully, I found one at a great price! I hate paying full price for antiques (usually they're ridiculously overpriced) but I got this little table for under $25! (Sorry if you find it tacky that I mentioned the cost, but I just get so darn excited when I find something on sale that I feel like I need to spread that excitement around!) Now that's a steal! I've decided to buy furniture for my apartment slowly, instead of all at once, so that I can purchase something cute with character, a real charm made out of real wood. I figured, if the little table has been around this long, it's sure to last a while longer. I might've looked silly walking two blocks with it then taking a ride on the crazy Cambridge bus with this table, a bag of random groceries, and Christmas wrapping paper (Ah, the car-less life! I had to pick up Christmas wrapping paper, it was on sale :D!!), but I'm glad I did :).


As for the little lamp, that's also an antique I found on Craigslist. I later found one at Goodwill for half the price! :D Other cool items I've found at Goodwill? Antique tea cups! I don't host tea parties, but I'm convinced that one day I just might (you never know!), so I better stock up on the tea cups now ;).

Gluten-Free Banana Maple Yogurt Cake with Almonds

Good to the last bite :)

See Gluten-Free Banana Maple Yogurt Cake with Almonds on Key Ingredient.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

What lovely treasures you have shared with us today!

JEWELGIRL said...

A lovely lamp and table! The teacup
with tea would be nice paired with all your yummy looking recipes!
I'll be right over for some Banana
Maple Yogurt cake!

Anonymous said...

I love your lamp :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So glad you can eat a favorite food again!! :0)

AMAZING antiques!!

Lovin' that cake.

Cakespy said...

This looks like my kind of cake--banana maple yogurt cake, yum!-- and I love the delicate teacup!

Sharon said...

Yay! I'm glad your having luck finding this you can and can't eat. Yea for dairy! The cake look scrumptious. I love how yogurt keeps everything tender.

La Bella Cooks said...

You would love my grandmother's house, as she has lamps just like yours and loads of gorgeous teacups! A slice of maple cake and a bit of tea in a fancy cup will keep anyone in a happy mood. Looks fantastic!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

The cake looks so good! I may just save the recipe, even though it's gluten free :D

Clumbsy Cookie said...

You must be so happy to slowly start introducion back dairy products. Me too I love them and yogurt is such a great addition to cakes! This one sure looks good!

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

I LOVE this recipe!!! Never thought to put yogurt in my baked goods (I usually use low fat sour cream). This sounds fantabulous :) You are doing such an awesome job going gluten free - be proud of yourself! BTW, I totally think you are my long lost GF sister -- I LOVE antique shopping too! I get giddy when finding a treasure and getting an amazing deal on it (um, can I have it for a dollar!?).

grace said...

i absolutely adore the pattern on your cup and saucer--great find! your cake looks pretty darn enticing too--it seems to have an amazing crumb to it. if the yogurt's responsible for that, i'll be adding it to every cake i make from now on. :)

Alexa said...

Going gluten free is a journey... I am glad you are finding your way.
I love adding maple syrup to my recipes, it adds a delightful hint. This banana bread looks delicious.

Lauren said...

Um, your photos and recipes and layout are amazing, Sophie. It's all so elegant! Major eye candy going on here. :)

Mary Ann said...

This cake looks great. I love using yogurt in baked goods too. It's great that you are able to enjoy some dairy again. Nice finds!

Emily said...

I'm glad you can take in a little extra dairy.
This cake looks awesome, of course. :)

Mama Mia said...

cute antiques! and that cake looks amazing. And I like that count down widget you got there. I didnt realize we only had 45 days till xmas! yikes!

Snooky doodle said...

this cake looks so nice I m bookmarking this recipe . Have to try it :)

Y said...

I can imagine myself getting lost for hours in an antiques market too. Can't believe you managed to carry that thing home though!

Oh, and lovely cake! What does rice milk taste like anyway? .. I've always wondered..